Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1112951 times)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #4470 on: October 29, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »
ok guys. stick out your hands, it's time for your daily dose of grain of salt. one: the crusades are a very tough time to understand objectively. two: both sides have conflicting accounts. three: most histories of the crusades were written well after the respective crusade. four: one of the quotes on the wiki article is said to have been written nine years after the fact. five: political mudslinging could be the explanation just as well as hyperbole. remember that there were not two warring factions, but chieftains loosely allied under a common name that warred against each other as much as against the other team. six: ... i mean, should we be shocked somebody is accused of eating babies?

it could be a dumbest protest signs XIth century edition, if it was not classic chronicle hyperbole. i've seen this before, and my teachers warned me about this. take from it that times were grim. look at albert of aix's quote: it was more moraly ok to eat a saracen than a dog according to christians. (keep in mind that with few exceptions, chroniclers were ecclesiarchs one way or another.) so yeah, at best, objectively we can say that the crusaders went hungry. nothing more. just because it's written down it's not to be taken as sacrosanct fact.

(for once that my degree gets a use around here...)

@ravy and dave, i'm partial to oven-roasted in mustard, myself.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4471 on: October 29, 2015, 09:48:54 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Ma%27arra

I'll just leave this here.

i fail to see the problem by skimming the article. mind giving me a heads-up? it's basically about crusaders delving into cannibalism of saracens. or am i missing something?

i mean, sure it's tasteless (pun intended), but it's a wikipedia article. what's wrong with it (apart from the usual caveats of wikipedia)?
The fact that the crusaders literally ate babies?

To be fair, they didn't have much choice.

...wait, are you seriously trying to defend EATING BABIES?

I'm not trying to justify it, merely explain it.  The Crusaders were described as "starving."  This wasn't the first time desperate people turned to cannibalism, and it wouldn't be the last.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4472 on: October 29, 2015, 10:49:49 pm »
Are all of our threads about cannibalism now? Because I'm totally down with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Ma%27arra

I'll just leave this here.

i fail to see the problem by skimming the article. mind giving me a heads-up? it's basically about crusaders delving into cannibalism of saracens. or am i missing something?

i mean, sure it's tasteless (pun intended), but it's a wikipedia article. what's wrong with it (apart from the usual caveats of wikipedia)?
The fact that the crusaders literally ate babies?

To be fair, they didn't have much choice.

...wait, are you seriously trying to defend EATING BABIES?

I'm not trying to justify it, merely explain it.  The Crusaders were described as "starving."  This wasn't the first time desperate people turned to cannibalism, and it wouldn't be the last.

Sooo... No party like a Donner party?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #4473 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:14 pm »
Well the babies on the spits were already dead (because the crusaders killed them)

Baby jerky. It's the other, other white meat.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #4474 on: October 30, 2015, 12:42:48 pm »
Well the babies on the spits were already dead (because the crusaders killed them)

Baby jerky. It's the other, other white meat.

So then...I'm a rancher?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4475 on: October 30, 2015, 02:57:03 pm »
Only if you have a proper branding iron.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4476 on: November 01, 2015, 09:45:24 pm »

Yeah, sorry but non compliance is not a vaild reason to beat or kill someone, especially if they're unarmed

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4477 on: November 02, 2015, 10:35:34 am »
I really object to the abuse of Visio to "draw" that POS cartoon.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4478 on: November 02, 2015, 11:40:20 am »
The "you don't stop" pic seems to be about someone assaulting a police officer and not just refusing to stop. I am much more likely to understand using force against an attacker than a person who is walking away from a police officer... If you want to make an argument why not make it without dickery, deceit and hidden implications? You could have just said that police might shoot you if you attack them... Except then you would have to explain the cases where they shoot people who weren't violent or resisting. By making the comic imply that anyone who doesn't immediately comply is on the same line as someone who tries to assault/kill cops you don't have to care about the other incidents.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #4479 on: November 02, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »
The "you don't stop" pic seems to be about someone assaulting a police officer and not just refusing to stop. I am much more likely to understand using force against an attacker than a person who is walking away from a police officer... If you want to make an argument why not make it without dickery, deceit and hidden implications? You could have just said that police might shoot you if you attack them... Except then you would have to explain the cases where they shoot people who weren't violent or resisting. By making the comic imply that anyone who doesn't immediately comply is on the same line as someone who tries to assault/kill cops you don't have to care about the other incidents.

I thought it was probably about this:

Police officer throws student across room for texting in class
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4480 on: November 02, 2015, 03:49:42 pm »
I thought he was fondling the cop...seriously, that figure looks like he's about five seconds away from stripping that cop's pants off and start goin down on him.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4481 on: November 02, 2015, 04:05:19 pm »
I was gonna say he looks like a leg humpin' dog XD.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4482 on: November 02, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »
I thought he was fondling the cop...seriously, that figure looks like he's about five seconds away from stripping that cop's pants off and start goin down on him.

...A rapist?

Cop: "MY BODY IS MY TEMPLE!" *BANG BANG BANG*
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4483 on: November 02, 2015, 05:02:54 pm »
I'd actually be on board for that being justification.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4484 on: November 03, 2015, 12:30:52 am »
Sorry about the lack of context, it was taken off a right wing fb page that was talking just general non compliance, and not just someone attacking  a police officer. That being said now I present some real stupidity

See the Department Of Energy issued a Halloween fact sheet about what happens when pumpkins decompose, and made the suggestion that instead of wasting away in a landfill, they could be turned into bio fuel. Or in teabagger speak: OBAMA IS COMING FOR OUR PUMPKINS/JACK O' LANTERNS!!!!!