Author Topic: FSTDT 2013 Religion  (Read 8101 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: FSTDT 2013 Religion
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 01:50:54 am »
Christian.  I try to follow the words written in red and the Golden Rule is very important to me.  I believe science and a belief in God can co-exist, and I'm not a Fundy Christian by any means.  I believe God intends us to ask questions about this universe (and any other possible universe(s) )that we're in.  I believe things happen for a reason and the universe isn't quite as chaotic as it may first appear.

I guess that's about it.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:44 am »
Roman Catholic, as detailed in my thread.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 02:09:21 am »
Non-Religious Agnostic, who is totally willing to accept a belief in God and other supernatural forces that may have an effect on life or afterlife, but is not going to believe them without good reason. I also see the value and worth in religion and will not decry it like it is evil either or a delusion. Just I feel it needs to be critically decided upon and there needs to be an understanding that there is a separation between what believers believe and how they act. Everyone is fallible.

I tend to ascribe to a modified utilitarian philosophy since it is relational based goals that are good for providing a society to be built on and provides a rational, math oriented metric with which to judge 'goodness' that is not culturally biased either for or against. Though I tend to use "What provides most overall long-term happiness to the most people" as what is welfare and utility, thus ascribing some ability to take pain for the sake of long term good.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:12:32 am by Material Defender »
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 02:32:34 am »
Christian.  I try to follow the words written in red and the Golden Rule is very important to me.  I believe science and a belief in God can co-exist, and I'm not a Fundy Christian by any means.  I believe God intends us to ask questions about this universe (and any other possible universe(s) )that we're in.  I believe things happen for a reason and the universe isn't quite as chaotic as it may first appear.

I guess that's about it.

What he said.

Well, I'm not so sure about the universe not being chaotic.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 02:55:17 am »
Disorganized Christian.

I tend toward the agnostic side when confronted by Organized Christianity.  Especially the ones that practice indoctrination.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:02 am »
Atheist still trying to work out where he stands in the freethinker spectrum. I have nothing against religion in general, but I can't help but hate the Abrahamic God sometimes...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 04:43:34 am »
I refer to myself as a "Carl Sagan agnostic", since I found his eloquent explanations as to why he considered himself agnostic to pretty much perfectly describe how I feel.

Quote from: Carl Sagan
The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:47:05 am by DrFishcake »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 05:05:59 am »
Agnostic Buddhist and huge skeptic.  My wife claims that, while I want to believe in ghosts, if one slapped me in the face, I'd think it was my imagination. 

Also, The Devil is my part-timer.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 05:26:14 am »
Atheist, because lolgod.

The longer explanation for "lolgod" is simply that the evidence doesn't bring forth anything whatsoever to justify a belief in any god, and thus I feel comfortable knowing (insofar as anything can be "known") that such a concept exists wholly inside the human brain. We dreamed up the gods because we're just sentient enough to realize how awful sentience is; we can understand what the final loss of ourselves really means, whereas animals in general are thought not to have this capability. "God" is both a precursor to science - an attempt to explain things not yet understood - and also attempt of the fragile human psyche to justify its actions and protect itself from reality. It's also fake as hell, hence the lol.

Yeah, I rant and snarl about it way too much. It's difficult living in a world where 60-75% of the population insists on believing on some form of the "magical invisible friend" and would rather comfort themselves with lies then face reality.

**Edited to get rid of unnecessary stuff
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:31:22 am by TenfoldMaquette »

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:28:20 am »
To put it simply : atheist.

(click to show/hide)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 10:02:00 am »
I generally just call myself a seeker. Right now, I'm most heavily influenced by Buddhism and Gnosticism.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 10:06:14 am »
Liberal pantheistic Christian here.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 10:39:28 am »
Atheist here. I see zero reason to believe in any deity or any afterlife.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Lady Hylia

• Neonate
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 11:46:58 am »
I am agnostic (or possibly deistic) though I do sometimes lean towards eclectic paganism. But in general I am not particularly religious.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 12:04:37 pm »
Atheist cuz' no good evidence of existence of deity. Also, the holy books I've read are pretty off the wall stuff.