Author Topic: New Pope Elected  (Read 20491 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: New Pope Elected
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 01:11:50 am »
So it's an "old white guy."  Big whoop.  He was voted in, right?  He was what the conclave chose.  The new pope's not female or another race?  I honestly don't give a crap.  I hardly think it's worth losing sleep over.

Also, am I the only person annoyed by all this, "Let's bash on the new pope!" attitude the thread has suddenly taken?  Look if he does something FSTDT worthy I'm sure he'll be mocked for it.  However, I just think you guys are LOOKING for excuses to hate on him to build yourselves up.  I can't say I'm surprised, but I think it's kinda annoying.

Seriously, this news has barely had time to sit or settle and it looks like everyone here's already jumping on the negativity bandwagon.

Well, he has already done some FSTDT worthy stuff. That being said, it's amazing that the Catholic hierarchy continues to be extremely out of touch with the rest of society, especially those who consider themselves to be Catholic, and it's what is dooming them.
Also since I was at least baptized Catholic, I think RinellaWasHere should be the new Pope.

Like I said before, the problem is that the only people who have been in the service long enough to become pope or be able to  decide how the Catholic Church goes are the ones who were born long ago, before "civil rights" was even a term. Some of them are about as old as women's suffrage in the United States. And the elderly are notorious for being the ones most likely to be conservative, not to mention that people simply get more settled into their beliefs as they age.

With circumstances as they are, you get an overwhelming majority of very old conservatives who were raised in an extremely bigoted time. Things will probably improve, but it'll take a long time for the leadership to shift to people of the current generation. 40 years is a long time for anyone.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 03:56:37 am »
So they elect a pope from South America and somehow it's still another old white guy. What the shit?

I normally don't use Family Guy to express my feelings, but i think this is appropriate.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLk4Ia0otko" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLk4Ia0otko</a>

So it's an "old white guy."  Big whoop.  He was voted in, right?  He was what the conclave chose.  The new pope's not female or another race?  I honestly don't give a crap.  I hardly think it's worth losing sleep over.

Also, am I the only person annoyed by all this, "Let's bash on the new pope!" attitude the thread has suddenly taken?  Look if he does something FSTDT worthy I'm sure he'll be mocked for it.  However, I just think you guys are LOOKING for excuses to hate on him to build yourselves up.  I can't say I'm surprised, but I think it's kinda annoying.

Seriously, this news has barely had time to sit or settle and it looks like everyone here's already jumping on the negativity bandwagon.

Congratulations on missing the point regarding it being another old white guy. Also, you should start caring who is elected Pope as what the Catholic Church does and says is STILL important and still affects the world. There are millions of people around the world who look to the Pope to tell them what to think. And when the new Pope is not some new, fresh blood but instead the same sort of person who has always been Pope, it makes it unlikely that the Church is going to make any advances towards finally entering the 21st Century and is going to continue to encourage people's biggoted and out-dated world views.

And as for your last 2 paragraphs:

"Bergoglio has affirmed church teaching on homosexuality specifically that homosexual actions are immoral.[54][55] He opposes same-sex marriage,[56] and unsuccessfully opposed legislation introduced in 2010 to allow same-sex marriage in Argentina, calling it a "real and dire anthropological throwback."[57] In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naïve, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies[58] that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."[59] In this context, Bergoglio also opposed adoption by same-sex couples[clarification needed], arguing that it threatened the "identity [...] and the survival of the family: father, mother and children." He stated that "children [...] are discriminated against in advance depriving them of human growth that God would be given to a father and a mother.""

You don't think any of that is FSTDT worthy?? You can't see why any of that would make us not like him before he's even had a chance to do anything as Pope?

As I find myself asking a lot recently - are you serious or are you just trying to piss me off?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:02:04 am by Katsuro »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 04:21:58 am »
I for one am not too surprised that they elected another homophobic white man as, to quote my friend "they could have elected a pope from Nigeria and it would have still been a homophobic white guy."
Who needs a signature?

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:03 am »
So they elect a pope from South America and somehow it's still another old white guy. What the shit?

I normally don't use Family Guy to express my feelings, but i think this is appropriate.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLk4Ia0otko" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLk4Ia0otko</a>

Congratulations on missing the point regarding it being another old white guy. Also, you should start caring who is elected Pope as what the Catholic Church does and says is STILL important and still affects the world. There are millions of people around the world who look to the Pope to tell them what to think. And when the new Pope is not some new, fresh blood but instead the same sort of person who has always been Pope, it makes it unlikely that the Church is going to make any advances towards finally entering the 21st Century and is going to continue to encourage people's biggoted and out-dated world views.

And as for your last 2 paragraphs:

"Bergoglio has affirmed church teaching on homosexuality specifically that homosexual actions are immoral.[54][55] He opposes same-sex marriage,[56] and unsuccessfully opposed legislation introduced in 2010 to allow same-sex marriage in Argentina, calling it a "real and dire anthropological throwback."[57] In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naïve, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies[58] that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."[59] In this context, Bergoglio also opposed adoption by same-sex couples[clarification needed], arguing that it threatened the "identity [...] and the survival of the family: father, mother and children." He stated that "children [...] are discriminated against in advance depriving them of human growth that God would be given to a father and a mother.""

You don't think any of that is FSTDT worthy?? You can't see why any of that would make us not like him before he's even had a chance to do anything as Pope?

As I find myself asking a lot recently - are you serious or are you just trying to piss me off?

See what I bolded?  I never said that I thought he didn't do anything FSTDT worthy.  I realize he's has a powerful influence.  I'm just saying that by people caring about the pope so much, they're giving him even more power.  He only has as much power as the populace gives him.  Also, I think that people are dedicated to looking at this in a purely negative light, without fairly considering any positives.  Just because he's homophobic doesn't mean he's pure evil that should be spit nothing but nasty venom at.

Can someone here mention something NICE to say about the Pope?  I thought I saw something about social justice being a strong point of his, but that quickly was brushed aside, I believe.

I'm sorry if it pisses you off, but I'm just a bit turned off by the undercurrent of negativity that's there whenever the pope is discussed.  Heck.  I'm sick of the news' fetish with the pope.  I realize he's important.  I just wish I could enjoy a break from hearing about him.

So why am I even in this thread?  I just wanted to acknowledge that I've read this thread and give my thoughts on what I've read.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:38:08 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 09:20:53 am »
Benny was also "strong" on social justice

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:46 am »
Does this mean I can roll out the Pope jokes again? :D
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 10:49:11 am »

Well, he has already done some FSTDT worthy stuff. That being said, it's amazing that the Catholic hierarchy continues to be extremely out of touch with the rest of society, especially those who consider themselves to be Catholic, and it's what is dooming them.
Also since I was at least baptized Catholic, I think RinellaWasHere should be the new Pope.

Like I said before, the problem is that the only people who have been in the service long enough to become pope or be able to  decide how the Catholic Church goes are the ones who were born long ago, before "civil rights" was even a term. Some of them are about as old as women's suffrage in the United States. And the elderly are notorious for being the ones most likely to be conservative, not to mention that people simply get more settled into their beliefs as they age.

With circumstances as they are, you get an overwhelming majority of very old conservatives who were raised in an extremely bigoted time. Things will probably improve, but it'll take a long time for the leadership to shift to people of the current generation. 40 years is a long time for anyone.

I agree. Give it time...the RC Church will progress eventually. That said, this guy may be a complete bozo as far as sexual matters, but I have heard that he's VERY big on fighting poverty & political corruption & was actually a bit of an activist in those areas back in Argentina. As long as he doesn't let his prejudices overtake other matters & keeps voicing him to a minimum, he'll be somewhat tolerable. I watched the election on MSNBC (usually left-leaning) and Lawrence O'Donnell, who's pretty outspoken about social justice & whatnot (he was absolutely disgusted with the police brutality at Occupy protests & he can't stand Glenn Beck) was pretty content with the new Pope, even in said Pope is still quite old-fashioned in regards to gays & women priests. I'm disappointed but I do hope this new guy has some more redeeming features. He does seem to "walk the walk" as far as humility & whatnot. Who knows?

At least I know that most of the uber-conservative types, politicians, clergy, the Kochs & Murdoch, are all part of the "Senior Set". They'll all croak soon & perhaps there will be less of these types in power.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 11:02:16 am »
I am glad it's a Jesuit, to be honest. My high school was run by Jesuits, and while they were considerably more pro-gay than His Holiness, the Jesuits as a whole are very much involved in social justice and liberation theology. I think he'll do a lot of good, or at least I hope so. He wasn't what I was hoping for, but he's not what I was fearing.

Technically speaking, I'm eligible— any practicing Catholic can be nominated to sit the Holy See.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »
I was baptized, got my first holy communion AND I was confirmed. I am also unfiddled by my priest.

I say I should be pope.

Every time they announced smoke, I hoped the Conclave was on fire. Elect me Pope. I will fix everything. Abruptly.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »
I was baptized, got my first holy communion AND I was confirmed. I am also unfiddled by my priest.

I say I should be pope.

Every time they announced smoke, I hoped the Conclave was on fire. Elect me Pope. I will fix everything. Abruptly.

We could run it like 40K, with inquisitors and astartes and everything.

We could even do exterminatus on small countries. ;D
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:01 pm »
Purge the heretic, Burn the mutant, Purify the unclean. For the Emperor and the Golden Throne!

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 02:04:39 pm »
Can someone here mention something NICE to say about the Pope?
...he's not a total monster like the last guy?

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 02:08:03 pm »

Rumors of kidnapping, blackmail and sex crimes are surfacing. I think it's best to just face the music and say that there will never be a Pope that is a decent human being.

The new Pope is definitely still a monster.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »
Rumors, by the way, that have absolutely no evidence behind them and actually go against what is known of his work in Argentina.

I doubt that these accusations would be so readily taken as fact (with zero evidence) if the person being accused was not someone that people were so ready to hate.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:12:08 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 02:22:01 pm »

Rumors of kidnapping, blackmail and sex crimes are surfacing. I think it's best to just face the music and say that there will never be a Pope that is a decent human being.

The new Pope is definitely still a monster.
Allegations are one thing but evidence is something else entirely. I don't like Pope Francis' stance on gay marriage and gay adoption (which is said originated from the Devil). That's enough for me not to like him since I, like everyone else here, think that LGBT folks are actual human beings deserving of rights. But for the allegations that he lifted protection from two Jesuit priests who were then kidnapped during the Dirty War--well, we need to establish something beyond accusations. We need to be fair after all.