Author Topic: Thread Killer  (Read 751724 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Thread Killer
« Reply #1890 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:45 am »
Same here. I got just past Feros on a full-ren playthough and was so disgusted with that Shep (and with myself) I deleted the file. Although, now that I think about it, I think I just really really really hated Meer's voice. It got better in 2 and 3, but just... Ugh. It sounds so dull and flat compared to Hale.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:55:00 am by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1891 on: December 01, 2013, 01:01:54 am »
Same here. I got just past Feros on a full-ren playthough and was so disgusted with that Shep (and with myself) I deleted the file. Although, now that I think about it, I think I just really really really hated Meer's voice. It got better in 2 and 3, but just... Ugh. It sounds so dull and flat compared to Hale.

Oddly I heard someone complain that Jennifer Hale delivers all of her lines in deadpan monotone.

What I took from that was "I am a snob about VAs and I like to feel superior to other people."

I will say that I've noticed that Fshep generally has better voice-acting, but MShep's facial expressions tend to be better...

...when they're both not staring past the person they're talking/making love to.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #1892 on: December 01, 2013, 01:32:37 am »
I'm not trying to sound like a snob, it's just that I'm hugely sound focused. Bad facial expressions are easier for me to ignore/mentally replace than bad voice acting.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1893 on: December 01, 2013, 01:38:17 am »
Have you ever played Dead Mountaineer's Hotel? It has some of the worst voice acting I've heard. I'm normally not overly picky about it, but it was so bad that I couldn't even play the game past the first couple scenes.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1894 on: December 01, 2013, 02:14:39 am »
I'm not trying to sound like a snob, it's just that I'm hugely sound focused. Bad facial expressions are easier for me to ignore/mentally replace than bad voice acting.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the person who said Hale's voice acting was lifeless.

My fault, I wasn't clear enough.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1895 on: December 01, 2013, 03:15:29 am »

Ohh, me too. There are just some VA who give me the chills. One particular case is the voice of Hugo Strange in Arkham City. Most appearances of Hugo Strange in that game where from his voice over in the PA system or recordings from patient interviews and such. AND IT WAS JUST THE PERFECT VOICE, it really made that villain.

...Which is why his "boss scene" was such a disappointment.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1896 on: December 01, 2013, 03:43:40 am »
There's a rather sad amount of amateur games, mods, and such that could be much better if they weren't made by Europeans with a poor grasp on English. Bad voice acting is bad enough, but bad voice acting done by a man with an accent thicker than PewDiePie who occasionally uses improper syntax and fills his text with misspellings? Completely breaks the suspension of disbelief. I'd rather have them either do it all in their native language with subtitles or just make it a text-only game than listen to someone barely speak a second language comprehensibly for an entire game. A lot of LPers have the same problem. And no, I don't like PewDiePie or Robbaz.

Most LPs are ruined by the commentary, in fact, even among those who speak clearly. Too many people try to imitate the Angry Video Game Nerd or PewDiePie (who are hardly the best subjects to be imitating already) and spend their commentary screaming, making terrible jokes, filling their videos with repetitive deaths or overdone slapstick, and overreacting to every little thing. One of my least favorite things in an Overgrowth video was the player starting to explain something about his videos and suddenly devolving into angry babble for the next minute mid-sentence because he got chased by some enemies that he wasn't paying attention to.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1897 on: December 01, 2013, 08:28:40 am »
Alcheastbreach tends to do a running dialouge but shuts the fuck up when characters are speaking.  Though there is a few times he gets lost  cause he wasn't paying attention to what was being said and was interacting with NPCs.

Ironbite-mostly to curse them.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1898 on: December 01, 2013, 08:46:12 am »
I would so try a let's play if I had the capability of it (hardware & software).  I'd probably just comment when there's things worth commenting about, or make a joke or so now and then.  Pretty much like I do when I'm playing games for my folks (they like to watch me.  To them it's like a movie).  I NEVER talk during cutscenes... I mean... that's just wrong! :p
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:57:57 am by SpaceProg »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1899 on: December 01, 2013, 01:40:09 pm »
Alcheastbreach tends to do a running dialouge but shuts the fuck up when characters are speaking.  Though there is a few times he gets lost  cause he wasn't paying attention to what was being said and was interacting with NPCs.

ChipCheezum and General Ironicus remain my favorite pair of LPers for a number of reasons. For one, they're both genuinely funny and neither of them has an annoying voice or a silly accent. Chip had a tendency to suddenly scream in his early videos, but he dropped that quickly. Their videos are edited to remove extraneous bits and to add new segments (such as where to find unique items in the area or, in the case of Metal Gear Rising, adding clips of all of the enemies' attacks), to the point where chip spent about an hour and a half doing five no-damage runs on the final boss of the Jetstream Sam DLC just so he could create a good final fight out of it.

And they both not only shut up during cutscenes and the like, they include uncut videos where they DO talk over them for people who want to hear their riffing and chatting anyways. Chip always provides subtitles anyway, to the point where he's actually making the subtitles for his Mega Man Legends LP because the game didn't have them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1900 on: December 01, 2013, 01:57:43 pm »
MegaMan Legends 1 and 2 were such good games.  IMO, of course, but damn I wish they'd made a 3rd to finish up a trilogy at least, instead of all this Pokemon-ish Battle Network stuff. :(

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1901 on: December 01, 2013, 01:58:52 pm »
HCBailly and NakaTeleeli are my two favorite LPers.

HCBailly is an RPG fan who actually lives in the same state as me. He's pretty dedicated to showing as much an RPG can offer (within reason).  He even beat Yiazmat in FF12.  He had a save from his test runs that he used instead of doing all of that grinding over again, and he skipped 90% of the fight because it was basically the same thing for like... three hours.

He, and everyone else I've known, are unhappy about that fight.

NakaTeleeli is more widespread.  Naka does a range of games, some of them fangames from Japan (generally fangames for Touhou) and let me tell you, he is smart.  During his Okami Let's Play, he took the time to research and explain every single character's importance to Japanese mythology, as well as their symbolism.

In his Persona 4 Let's Play (which he did with his best friend ElementalOgre, who can be said to be something of a red oni to Naka's blue oni) he took the time to explain the symbolism present within each Shadow fight.

And in Persona 3, he's been explaining (in the description) the symbolism of each of the Full Moon Shadows, and how they relate to the inverse of the arcana they represent (that is, the Priestess Shadow actually matches the meanings associated with an inverse Priestess card)

Basically, he's smart because he does his research.  And he does Let's Plays and stuff while having a job, too, so yeah.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1902 on: December 01, 2013, 02:25:17 pm »

ChipCheezum and General Ironicus remain my favorite pair of LPers for a number of reasons. For one, they're both genuinely funny and neither of them has an annoying voice or a silly accent. Chip had a tendency to suddenly scream in his early videos, but he dropped that quickly. Their videos are edited to remove extraneous bits and to add new segments (such as where to find unique items in the area or, in the case of Metal Gear Rising, adding clips of all of the enemies' attacks), to the point where chip spent about an hour and a half doing five no-damage runs on the final boss of the Jetstream Sam DLC just so he could create a good final fight out of it.

And they both not only shut up during cutscenes and the like, they include uncut videos where they DO talk over them for people who want to hear their riffing and chatting anyways. Chip always provides subtitles anyway, to the point where he's actually making the subtitles for his Mega Man Legends LP because the game didn't have them.

Sometimes funny accents can make a mod review though.  I kinda like it when Al goes "old man" mode.

Ironbite-hell I've fallen off the bed laughing when a joke hits me unexpectedly.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1903 on: December 01, 2013, 02:42:25 pm »
I don't mind accents, in LPs or otherwise. Maybe that's because I have an accent. In fact, I think everyone has an accent so complaining about people speaking in a accent different than your own seems a bit odd to me.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1904 on: December 01, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »
I don't mind accents, in LPs or otherwise. Maybe that's because I have an accent. In fact, I think everyone has an accent so complaining about people speaking in a accent different than your own seems a bit odd to me.

I have an American accent and I agree.

Then again I actually like Swedish accents so...