Author Topic: What is 'Fearful Conservative Intellectual Syndrome'?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
What is 'Fearful Conservative Intellectual Syndrome'?
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:04 pm »
I first saw the usage of such terms on right wing forums and have been trying to pin down a definition. Oh boy has that been hard.

I had searched via Google: “Fearful Conservative Intellectual Syndrome" including quotation marks. The first three links were reposts of the following blog post by Lloyd Marcus. The rest were just hits for individual words not the entire phrase.

I believe these conservative colleagues are suffering with Fearful Intellectual Conservative Syndrome. Intellectuals in our party such as Coulter and others are rallying around Romney because they fear America will not elect a pedal-to-the-metal true conservative. They believe we need a liberal-lite to defeat Obama. Meanwhile, we not-so-smart naïve tea party patriots believe a true conservative will win in a landslide.

This only adds more questions (and vague terms) and no answers!
What is a “true conservative”?
What is a “liberal-lite”? How did John McCain qualify as such?
What is “solid conservatism”?

We know the drill. Here is the play by play. The lib media and Republican elite convince all the “smart people” on our side that only a reasonable “moderate” like Romney can possibly beat Obama. So, out of fear, we select Romney as our 2012 presidential nominee.

Who are the Republican elite?
Who are the lib media?
Why are “smart people” and “moderate” in quotations?

I searched via Google again: "Fearful Conservative Intellectual Syndrome" site:*.edu I found an article posted by Glenn C. Loury in 1997.

Try to understand my problem. As a black conservative intellectual I belong to an endangered species. For if few conservatives choose to think of themselves as intellectuals, even fewer blacks can pass muster as conservatives.

Not that my position is uncomfortable. With black critics of racial liberalism being such a rare breed, I have found my voice amplified on a range of issues.

Recently, however, I have been unable to shake a troubling thought: The designation "black conservative intellectual" may not be merely anomalous but oxymoronic.

Uh oh.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: What is 'Fearful Conservative Intellectual Syndrome'?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »
I stopped reading when I saw the word intellectual to describe Ann Coulter.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:42:27 pm »
I stopped reading when I saw the word intellectual to describe Ann Coulter.

Same here.  I actually scrolled down to specifically see if anyone had similar sentiments.

Go figure.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:48:37 pm »
What is a “true conservative”?

"Anyone who agrees with my statements."

What is a “liberal-lite”?

"Anyone who is to the left of me."

How did John McCain qualify as such?

"He was to the left of me, as is Romney"

What is “solid conservatism”?

"Means that you not only agree with what I say, but aren't afraid to scream it from the rooftops and the street corners.  It means you aren't afraid to shove it in people's faces.  It means you are proud, like a true 'Murican!"

Who are the Republican elite?

"Successful Republicans, by which I mean rich!"

Who are the lib media?

"All of the news!  They're controlling us, you know.  Even FOX News.  It's just a liberal plant designed to make us look bad!  Unfortunately for them, strawman has a point, and FOX News has a lot of accidental wisdom!"

Why are “smart people” and “moderate” in quotations?

"You ain't smart if you don't agree with me.  And there ain't no such thing as moderate.  You're either a red-blooded strong conservative, or you're one of those weak, manipulative liberals."

Ouch.

Ow.

Ow.

I'm in physical pain.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:05 am »
....ow. Oh god, my brain, OW...I think it's trying to escape the bone box here! Seriously, I feel like some brain cells died just now. What, do they prescribe to the RHJunior school of conservatism (to the right of Jerry Falwell)?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:10:55 am »
I should clarify, I was making shit up as I went, pretending to be in the mindset of a stuffy conservative who views everyone to the left of him as a RINO.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:11:36 am »
Sounds like ultra conservative insanity to me, for the most part.

For "Fearful Conservative Intellectual Syndrome" it mostly seems that being intellectual is at opposition to being conservative, thus both debasing the conservative for those of the other sides but those within because they seem unable and fearful of intellectuals that are 'conservative. Though I heard this whole 'moderate' versus 'Strong' Conservative versus 'extreme' conservative. Just if Ann Coulter is 'moderate' now instead of 'extreme' (As she was about ten or so years ago...)

Oh dear lord, what the fuck is happening on the conservative side?
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:21:13 am »
I have inquired into this via my conservative friend David.

Apparently, there is a growing feeling of extreme right wing policy which is looking to take root in the Republican base, and has been quite successful in such.

A comparison to the Nazi Party is not too inaccurate. In this group, which David was kicked out of for not "being a true conservative", which is baffling to me, as David is fiscally conservative on most issues, opposes Gay Rights and is a staunch Christian, being as far right as anyone I know, except the Pretty Boy Nazi. And even he might not be right wing enough for these nuts.

This group has vibes of extreme white power in its individual members. They are frothingly insane, to be frank, and want "THEIR America" back, emphasis mine.

The Conservatives have gone and done it. We're seeing the Golden Dawn happen HERE now.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:18 am »
I have inquired into this via my conservative friend David.

Apparently, there is a growing feeling of extreme right wing policy which is looking to take root in the Republican base, and has been quite successful in such.

A comparison to the Nazi Party is not too inaccurate. In this group, which David was kicked out of for not "being a true conservative", which is baffling to me, as David is fiscally conservative on most issues, opposes Gay Rights and is a staunch Christian, being as far right as anyone I know, except the Pretty Boy Nazi. And even he might not be right wing enough for these nuts.

This group has vibes of extreme white power in its individual members. They are frothingly insane, to be frank, and want "THEIR America" back, emphasis mine.

The Conservatives have gone and done it. We're seeing the Golden Dawn happen HERE now.

Where is this shithole that you live in? I want to show up with a plague of locusts.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:30 am »
Union City and Fremont.

We are mostly liberal, but oh, are the mega-conservatives loud.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:46 am »
Union City and Fremont.

We are mostly liberal, but oh, are the mega-conservatives loud.

I think that conservatives in the bay area would have to be loud just to be heard. That is the most liberal region in the country.

Also, "intellectual conservative" is hilarious because most conservatives are massive anti-intellectuals.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:20:28 am by VirtualStranger »

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 08:37:13 am »
Wait...am I reading this wrong, or are they outright saying that being a "true conservative" means you have to be bigoted and abjectly stupid...and that both qualities are somehow virtuous?  ???

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:49:00 am »
Wait...am I reading this wrong, or are they outright saying that being a "true conservative" means you have to be bigoted and abjectly stupid...and that both qualities are somehow virtuous?  ???
Sounds like it... They already made "helping your fellow man" and "turn the other cheek" a communist trait.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:09:20 pm »

I think what they are trying to say is that the 'intelligentsia' will sit and rationalize an issue and try to compromise rather than be true to their ideology. In their minds the conservative ideology is correct and a conservative utopia should driven towards regardless of the pain it causes along the way. Basically they are saying they see that the other side has a point, they just don't give a shit and decry the conservatives who do.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 05:49:17 pm »
It's just a string of buzzwords, each of which has vague connotations but no meaningful definition.  This is the way the conservative mind works.  When they spout buzzwords they think they are communicating.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.