Author Topic: What are your future presidential predictions?  (Read 13583 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: What are your future presidential predictions?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 07:28:13 pm »
God I hope Hillary doesn't try to run again

I have heard the least bad things about Warren, I guess.

(not that it matters, I don't vote in your elections)
Σא

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 08:04:48 pm »
(not that it matters, I don't vote in your elections)

Neither do I but when it comes to things like environmental and foreign policies every single human being on Earth has an invested interest in the election. Where and how the president decides to use the country's (hopefully soft instead of military) power will have a huge difference in dealing with our common problems. This is something where Sanders seems to be the most promising candidate (if he declares) which is a nice improvement for him. Foreign policy was a glaring weakness for him in the last election, after all. I'm also interested to see what Warren's foreign policy proposals will look like since there are apparently rumors that she has reconsidered her old hawkish attitude.

Also, out of pure solidarity towards Americans as fellow human beings I hope they finally bring their health care system to a level where millions don't die avoidable deaths.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 08:46:48 pm »
Sen. Warren has a huge blind spot on foreign policy; she regularly votes for military budget increases where Sanders, along with the few libertarians and paleoconservatives in the Senate, like Paul and Lee, vote against them.

Right now, aside from military budget increases, the biggest disconnect between Democratic politicians (at least those who are likely to run) and the Democratic base on foreign policy is probably support for BDS. There's a few in the House (like Rep. Tlaib, who is of Palestinian descent) who express support for it, but meanwhile in the Senate there's bipartisan (read: bad for you) efforts to effectively ban it, which is a ridiculously unconstitutional crackdown on free expression.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 08:49:28 pm »
Eiki, I don't see how a businessman is any worse than a career politician. Both actively are against we the people, except for what we can do for them. Both are about keeping their own interests happy. And none of them has any idea what their people's struggles really are. Nor do they care.
Now it'll make everyone happy that I'm not voting for Schultz. Were I to vote for any business person it would have been Fiorina, but that ship has sailed a few years ago.

There is one major difference, and we're finding out about it now, and it's that businessmen don't actually understand how government works. For Exhibit A just look at Trump, who's been trying to run government like a business (one man at the top who makes the big decisions, rather than a President working in tandem with two houses of Congress to make decisions together), and the only reason it hasn't yet been a disaster is sheer luck. Whatever you might say about interests, and you certainly have a valid point there, at least the career politician understands the way the system works, or at least is supposed to work.

Plus, I honestly think Harris is a decent person. In fact, I would say that about most of the Democratic candidates and even a few of the potential Republican candidates (Kasich, for example). And for what it's worth, I think Schultz is probably a pretty decent person, but he's also most likely completely ignorant of government. Also, to be honest, Trump has given the concept of any businessman with no government experience taking the Presidency a bad taste in my mouth that will probably linger for a long time.

That, and a Democrat running as an Independent will practically guarantee a second term for Trump. Just look at 1912, when a Republican ran as an Independent and handed the Presidency to a Democrat that won only 42% of the popular vote. Do we really want a repeat of that with the orange nightmare in charge?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 10:35:17 pm »
Sen. Warren has a huge blind spot on foreign policy; she regularly votes for military budget increases where Sanders, along with the few libertarians and paleoconservatives in the Senate, like Paul and Lee, vote against them.

Right now, aside from military budget increases, the biggest disconnect between Democratic politicians (at least those who are likely to run) and the Democratic base on foreign policy is probably support for BDS. There's a few in the House (like Rep. Tlaib, who is of Palestinian descent) who express support for it, but meanwhile in the Senate there's bipartisan (read: bad for you) efforts to effectively ban it, which is a ridiculously unconstitutional crackdown on free expression.

I said in 2016 that Bernie would win in 2020, largely because of attitudes like this. As trendy a pick as Biden is, and as wild as Beto-mania is running, I’m sticking with my previous prediction.

And my preference, still subject to change with the widening field and debates, is actually Warren. Call me smitten, but when she’s the mother of the CFPB, and wrote legal text books in the fields of securities, collateral, and debtor law, yeah, I think she has the requisite intelligence and disciple for the job.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:39:25 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 11:08:47 pm »
There's a difference between running a business and running a country.  You actually need foresight to run the latter, while the former can be run with a focus barely an inch away from one's nose.  Plus, businessmen have no policymaking or foreign relations experience.  In the field of governance, businessmen are all the north end of useless.  Yes, politicians are pretty much all career liars and in the pockets of every Tom, Dick, and Teardrinker in the country, but they actually have experience running a country, for better or worse.  If I have to choose between a successful businessman and a middling politician, I'll take the politician any day of the week.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2019, 12:16:51 am »

I said in 2016 that Bernie would win in 2020, largely because of attitudes like this. As trendy a pick as Biden is, and as wild as Beto-mania is running, I’m sticking with my previous prediction.

And my preference, still subject to change with the widening field and debates, is actually Warren. Call me smitten, but when she’s the mother of the CFPB, and wrote legal text books in the fields of securities, collateral, and debtor law, yeah, I think she has the requisite intelligence and disciple for the job.

I'm pointing out Sen. Warren's main weakness, which is foreign policy. The fact that she got the CFPB into Dodd-Frank is absolutely a massive plus in her column, and one would hope that she could find good Secretaries of State and Defense to mitigate her foreign policy issues. (Tulsi Gabbard comes to mind.)
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2019, 01:39:56 am »
Please don't let Gabbard anywhere near foreign policy decision making. I hope the American foreign policy aims at constructive and long term solution in the Middle East and she is horrible when it comes to that area. While she does want to minimize direct military intervention her rhetoric is that of isolationism, not constructive cooperation.

Back when Obama was in office she was part of the moronic choir demanding him to say the magic words "Islamic terrorism" as if that was a problem. She even went to Fox News not to challenge their perspective but to support it. She has also mocked the idea that material conditions make people susceptible to extreme interpretations of Islam. From that point of view one cannot accomplish anything constructive and sustainable in Middle East. If you are not interested in improving the material conditions of people living there there is a very logical other option as long as you only care about American lives: give space and implicit support for strongman leaders to keep their people in line with violence and oppression. She has shown clear signs of favoring this option.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2019, 01:49:53 am »
Not only that, but she took time out of her duties in Congress to fly to Syria and meet with Bashar al-Assad, who while operating as the leader of Syria routinely used gas attacks on his own people to murder "dissidents".  In her opinion, allowing Assad to take back control of Syria would somehow be good for the region (never mind it'll lead to the murder of the US' Kurdish allies AND give Russia complete control of the region).

But there's a group of people pushing her because she "wants to get the US out of all their pointless foreign entanglements", and these morons ignore that there's a way and a time to do so, and this ain't it...

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 02:21:19 am »
The thing about the coffee billionaire is that he appears to be hoping to steal votes from Democrats. In other words he would be helping the GOP candidate by weakening his opponent more than anything else.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 03:01:53 am »
I'm still mad at coffee billionaire because he sold my home basketball team and got them moved to Oklahoma. Petty yes, but since then he's done nothing to gain any respect and a lot more to lose even more of it.

My preference right now is Warren. A few smaller names have caught my eye, like Peter Buttigieg (first openly gay candidate) from Indiana and my state's Gov. Jay Inslee (for his goal of fighting climate change). I'd also be willing to hop back on the Sanders wagon if it looks like he's still a strong contender.

I think Warren probably has the best shot.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 04:57:04 am »
The thing about the coffee billionaire is that he appears to be hoping to steal votes from Democrats. In other words he would be helping the GOP candidate by weakening his opponent more than anything else.

Pretty sure that's exactly it. He doesn't like the idea of 1950s-level marginal rates and he doesn't like the idea of Warren's wealth tax (which is of debatable constitutionality anyway, not being either apportioned among the states or a tax on income) either.

Ultimately, given a choice between that or the GOP, the Republicans are better for his pocketbook.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 10:35:33 am »
There's a difference between running a business and running a country.  You actually need foresight to run the latter, while the former can be run with a focus barely an inch away from one's nose.  Plus, businessmen have no policymaking or foreign relations experience.  In the field of governance, businessmen are all the north end of useless.  Yes, politicians are pretty much all career liars and in the pockets of every Tom, Dick, and Teardrinker in the country, but they actually have experience running a country, for better or worse.  If I have to choose between a successful businessman and a middling politician, I'll take the politician any day of the week.

Again, not voting for Shultz, nor did I vote for Trump. I say that to say this though. I've never ever had a businessman screw me over as hard or as throughly as a politician.

And let's take a look at what the politicians are running. You pointed out that politicians do have experience running a country. I know what you meant, but let's replace country with jurisdictions, as there are 2 more levels of government than federal. And usually federal is the least important to say tho day life.

Flint, MI still has poisonous water that the residents (customers?) are still presented with a bill for. Maryland has one of the highest per student spending in the nation but the schools are still crumbling. Joe Arapaio armed a bunch of people, some with let's say questionable pasts, to stand around kids. McConnell outright stated his goal was to make Obama a one term president, not try to make good policy for the nation. Half of Puerto Rico is still without power. Maryland, Pennsylvania, North Carolina Carolina one other state I can't remember were called in front of the USSC for their gerrymandering corruption. Is that the type of experience you're talking about?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2019, 12:38:57 pm »

Again, not voting for Shultz, nor did I vote for Trump. I say that to say this though. I've never ever had a businessman screw me over as hard or as throughly as a politician.

And let's take a look at what the politicians are running. You pointed out that politicians do have experience running a country. I know what you meant, but let's replace country with jurisdictions, as there are 2 more levels of government than federal. And usually federal is the least important to say tho day life.

Flint, MI still has poisonous water that the residents (customers?) are still presented with a bill for. Maryland has one of the highest per student spending in the nation but the schools are still crumbling. Joe Arapaio armed a bunch of people, some with let's say questionable pasts, to stand around kids. McConnell outright stated his goal was to make Obama a one term president, not try to make good policy for the nation. Half of Puerto Rico is still without power. Maryland, Pennsylvania, North Carolina Carolina one other state I can't remember were called in front of the USSC for their gerrymandering corruption. Is that the type of experience you're talking about?

There is one letter in common with the politicians behind those disasters (except Maryland?): R.

The businessmen don't need to screw you over directly. They can influence politicians to do their dirty work for them instead. The more unscrupulous politicians can be influenced through direct financial contributions and the more well-meaning ones through lobbying and funding think tanks and universities to create ideologically beneficial research results.

Any given politician is influenced by the forces that put them in power, keep them there and who have access to them in their everyday decision making. Most people are well-meaning but their perspectives and life experiences result in blind spots that can either be taken advantage of intentionally or mutually reinforced through social interactions. Generally, the more power you accumulate, the more distanced you get from the everyday experiences of common people and more likely you are to lose some or all empathy towards them. This applies to everyone including both politicians and businessmen.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 12:40:35 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 03:19:05 pm »

Awwww...that's so adorable.

Ironbite-I'm personally waiting to see if Tammy Duckworth wants to take a crack at the Orange Piss Pot.