Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1652001 times)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #1635 on: November 24, 2012, 04:40:44 pm »
It's usually Coke here in Indianapolis, but cola, soda, and pop are also acceptable.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1636 on: November 24, 2012, 05:02:09 pm »

BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1637 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:57 am »
I call it soda, and I live in NY. Also I've heard of the expression "eating crow".

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #1638 on: November 25, 2012, 05:26:14 am »
I'm from WA, and I use soda and pop interchangably. My mom is from SC though, which is probably where I picked it up. Getting back on track...

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1639 on: November 25, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »
I'm just wondering, does it seem like conservatives are now the angry, easily offended ones nowdays? I read an article about how everyone loved Reagan because was always positive, and that the liberals were the whiny, unreasonable, and easily offended ones. Now its clearly the opposite.
Is it true that conservatives have gotten more cry-babyish? I'm only 17 so I wouldn't know.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #1640 on: November 25, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »
I'm just wondering, does it seem like conservatives are now the angry, easily offended ones nowdays? I read an article about how everyone loved Reagan because was always positive, and that the liberals were the whiny, unreasonable, and easily offended ones. Now its clearly the opposite.
Is it true that conservatives have gotten more cry-babyish? I'm only 17 so I wouldn't know.

Not all of them, not even most. But this isn't a site about the majority of conservatives. Most conservatives are wonderful people with whom we disagree. They may be wrong abut most issues, but they aren't bad people.

But that fringe element that's abso-friggen-lutely nuts? Yeah, they're babies in denim diapers with a pistol holster.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1641 on: November 25, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »

Not all of them, not even most. But this isn't a site about the majority of conservatives. Most conservatives are wonderful people with whom we disagree. They may be wrong abut most issues, but they aren't bad people.

But that fringe element that's abso-friggen-lutely nuts? Yeah, they're babies in denim diapers with a pistol holster.

What about Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, etc? They aren't fringe groups yet they whine like babies.
Also, I didn't mean that people who are conservative are whiny people, nor that all conservatives whine about politics. Sorry if that was easy to confuse. It just seems like their rhetoric is all based on whining about something. Of course every politician whines, it just seems like whenever conservatives have a problem, their only way of addressing that issue is whining about how they want to "restore America" or some vague bullshit.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1642 on: November 25, 2012, 04:59:33 pm »
What about Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, etc? They aren't fringe groups yet they whine like babies.
Also, I didn't mean that people who are conservative are whiny people, nor that all conservatives whine about politics. Sorry if that was easy to confuse. It just seems like their rhetoric is all based on whining about something. Of course every politician whines, it just seems like whenever conservatives have a problem, their only way of addressing that issue is whining about how they want to "restore America" or some vague bullshit.

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are fringe, actually. Same with Pat Robertson. Fox News has things over the range, but they've become more and more extreme to draw in viewers. The main issue is that the Republican party, not conservatives, got pulled over to the extreme by the tea party. This kind of pull over to the right and up has left them without any real direction because the 'restore america' to some mythical past that doesn't exist. They sound like Islamic Fundamentalists looking for a golden age that doesn't exist.

As a note, my father is a moderate conservative and he has found the Republicans so repugnant since Reagen he hasn't voted for them since then.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1643 on: November 25, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are fringe, actually. Same with Pat Robertson. Fox News has things over the range, but they've become more and more extreme to draw in viewers. The main issue is that the Republican party, not conservatives, got pulled over to the extreme by the tea party. This kind of pull over to the right and up has left them without any real direction because the 'restore america' to some mythical past that doesn't exist. They sound like Islamic Fundamentalists looking for a golden age that doesn't exist.

As a note, my father is a moderate conservative and he has found the Republicans so repugnant since Reagen he hasn't voted for them since then.

Beck and Limbaugh's shows aren't fringe though considering how popular they are. Pretty much every conservative I've met worships them, and like 70% of the people I know are conservative like that. My dad is a conservative too but he thinks they're pretty moderate/conservative. I know he voted for Bush both times, McCain, and then Romney. I'm not sure who he voted for before that.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
« Reply #1644 on: November 25, 2012, 05:10:09 pm »
Auggy: First, I hope you don't mind the nickname. Second, I wasn't accusing you of that. I just wanted to climb on my soapbox for a while. Also, I wanted to use the phrase "denim diapers" really badly. Rusty and the others are fringe, they're just really loud and have a lot of exposure. They represent the far end. Though I'll admit that American politics has turned more and more to those fringes recently, and it worries me.

MD: Stop saying what I want to say five times better than I could. ;)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1645 on: November 25, 2012, 05:12:55 pm »
The thing is Fox etc moved the right so much that the left is the old right.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #1646 on: November 25, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »

A lot of people call themselves conservatives because the like the word.

Of course, conservatism in the past is different than conservatism now.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1647 on: November 25, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »
Auggy: First, I hope you don't mind the nickname. Second, I wasn't accusing you of that. I just wanted to climb on my soapbox for a while. Also, I wanted to use the phrase "denim diapers" really badly. Rusty and the others are fringe, they're just really loud and have a lot of exposure. They represent the far end. Though I'll admit that American politics has turned more and more to those fringes recently, and it worries me.

MD: Stop saying what I want to say five times better than I could. ;)

No I don't mind the nickname. Its a portmanteau of my pet parrot's name, Auggie, and "auxilliary". Also "denim diapers" made me giggle.

From my experience, Rush and Beck seem like an average conservative COMMENTATOR*. I understand that many conservatives are rational people, and many of them seem very dissapointed in the tea party and other popular conservatives. However most of the conservative people I know actually love Beck and Rush. Pretty much 70% - 80% of the people I know are like that, and I've only met 2 who hate Rush, Beck, Bush, etc. Sadly there are hardly any mainstream commentators for rational conservatives.
Another point is that Beck and Limbaugh generally aren't at their "Final Form"(IE: completely honest about their views) when they're on air. Those conservatives that worship them only see them in their not-as-horrible attitudes, and don't realize how big of a douchebag Rush and Beck are. Ditto with the Tea Party. There have been a few teachers that are part of the Tea Party or at least support it. None of these people are idiots, they just haven't seen the terrible, idiotic side of the Tea Party.
Even though Rush Limbaugh, as a person, is more of a fringe person, his show isn't. Ditto with Beck and the Tea Party. They are extremely popular among conservatives. Of course there are conservatives that hate them, and there are conservatives that listen to Rush and Beck but still disagree with them, but that doesn't mean Rush and Beck are any less popular.

*I'm really sorry I had to use all-caps. It sounds like I'm angry but I'm really not. I just needed a way to emphasize that word...

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #1648 on: November 25, 2012, 05:31:18 pm »

Regan could also smile and act jovial while he stabbed you in the back. He was one of the most two faced politicians ever to live in the White House, and he really should have been impeached for going behind Congress's back with the whole Iran Contra scandal.

As far as most conservatives go, many of them ARE decent people, but a lot of the ones I know have fallen for the distraction method. Not sure if there's an official name for this, but the neocons have them worked up over social issues that are frankly none of their business or the idea that poor people are getting something for nothing, they don't seem to notice their political leaders are out to rob them blind wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

I love fishing, and am a member on several fishing message boards. Since a lot of people who hunt also fish, there are quite a few gun enthusiasts on the boards. I have to avoid the off topic section on the one board that allows political posts, because every time I take a peek it's full of messages about how Obama is a gay commie Kenyan Muslim who is out to ban guns. People who are very nice, willing to give helpful advice and would drive halfway across the county to help a fellow board member pull their stuck trailer out of the mud are convinced Obama wants to abolish the Second Amendment. In spite of the fact that Obama has barely mentioned guns, and the gun control advocates are pissed at him for not doing more.

I'm convinced the conservative pundits harp on issues like gun control, Obamacare and gay marriage to keep people like this from noticing their lives would be shit if the neocons got their way.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
« Reply #1649 on: November 25, 2012, 05:33:03 pm »
Those are actually all fair points. They may be fringe, but that doesn't mean the mainstream doesn't support them to some extent. It actuallymmay be an interesting look into the conservative persecution complex- they think the world is falling apart around them, so they cling to the biggest bit of refuge they can find, even if it's horrible and gross and has a bad TV show.

Also, if you need to emphasize, there's italics and bold, done by putting "i" or "b" in [brackets] at the start of the word or phrase and putting "/i" or "/b" at the end, also in brackets.