Author Topic: Valedictorian denied high school diploma in Oklahoma....  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Valedictorian denied high school diploma in Oklahoma....
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:42:39 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/valedictorian-denied-diploma-speech-hell-134805221.html?_esi=1

....because she said "hell" in her speech. Folks, you just can't make this shit up. She EARNED the fucking diploma, they should be required BY LAW to give it to her. How many times to priests get away with saying "hell" when they're standing on the pulpit?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma in Oklahoma....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »
Home state, I wish I could be disappoint, but that would imply I expected better in the first place.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »
Home state, I wish I could be disappoint, but that would imply I expected better in the first place.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »
How the fuck is this even legal?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Distind

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:37:26 pm »
Don't schools typically approve these things if they might have problems with them?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:01 pm »
Don't schools typically approve these things if they might have problems with them?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure valedictorians have to get their speeches approved.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »
According to the article, the version she submitted had the word "heck" instead of "hell".

I don't agree with the school, but I can (somewhat) understand them being anxious about the valedictorian using a turn of phrase some might find objectionable, especially after they cleared a non-objectionable version.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »
According to the article, the version she submitted had the word "heck" instead of "hell".

I don't agree with the school, but I can (somewhat) understand them being anxious about the valedictorian using a turn of phrase some might find objectionable, especially after they cleared a non-objectionable version.

I can understand that as well, but the school should not get to withhold her diploma.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Xotan

• Neonate
  • S'é mo chat luchtiarna an tí.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »
So what is the problem with using the word 'hell'?  It's in the dictionary, It's standard English.  What ignorance.  I would like to make up for the ignorance that would deny a well-earned diploma by supplying a more forceful word: FUCK!
Is maith le mo chat na Francaigh!  Is ban-chat fhrancach í.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 03:52:25 pm »

I can understand that as well, but the school should not get to withhold her diploma.

To the best of my knowledge, the only reason a school can withhold a diploma is if you have failed to pay the fine for a stolen book or damaged property.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 04:33:41 pm »
And my valedictorian said "sexual contact" in his speech. Wow, amazing how states so close can be so different.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »
They probably meant they won't ceremoniously give it to her.  It'll be mailed to her more like.  That's a guess, though.  As my HS had rules like that against bad behavior during the grad ceremony, but nothing so puritanical as that.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:48 pm »
I just want to know who the fuck considers hell a swear word, how can a fictional place be a bloody curseword.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 01:49:43 am »
I definately have a problem with withholding the diploma over using the word "Hell."

However,

In her speech—inspired by a similar address in "Eclipse: The Twilight Saga"—Kaitlin recounted how annoying it is to be constantly asked what she wants to do as graduation approached.

I'm perfectly okay with withholding the diploma for referencing Twilight in the speech.  Valedictorians should not be celebrating the rape of literature like that.   :P
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 06:00:50 am »
They probably meant they won't ceremoniously give it to her.  It'll be mailed to her more like.  That's a guess, though.  As my HS had rules like that against bad behavior during the grad ceremony, but nothing so puritanical as that.

The article states that they will not give her her diploma until she gives them a written apology.