Author Topic: 4-year-old reelected as mayor  (Read 4105 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
4-year-old reelected as mayor
« on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »
Not an Onion article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/08/04/minnesota-mayor-boy.html

Robert "Bobby" Tufts hasn't made it to preschool yet, but he's already been elected twice as mayor of a tiny tourist town in northern Minnesota.

Mayor Tufts' name was picked Sunday during annual Taste of Dorset festival to be mayor of Dorset for a second term. It has no formal city government and has a population of 22 to 28, depending on whether the minister and his family are in town.

Asked how he felt during a phone interview, a tired Bobby made clear he was done answering questions. "I want to be with the boys," he told his mother.

Now there's an interesting electoral system.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: 4-year-old reelected as mayor
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:03 pm »
There are worse political systems in the world.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 12:11:00 am »
He's probably better than most any pol in the country.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 12:27:44 am »
He must be a conservative, if not Fox would already be running with "Pre-School Gate".
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 01:43:43 am »
Emma Tufts said her son's agenda includes raising money for the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Red River Valley in Fargo, N.D...

They already raised $750 from a walk this summer and planned to donate half the proceeds of Sunday's T-shirt sales to the charity.

A politician who promised to raise money and then actually did it? He's already doing better than the GOP!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 02:07:06 am »
I wonder if this kid's going to become a politician when he grows up?

He will be either the best or worst politician if he does.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »
Sanity returns to politics!
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 05:26:15 pm »

He could be a 32-term mayor by the time he is eligible for the Presidency.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:54:44 pm »

That's gonna be a funny conversation piece.

by the way, when I say "Best" or "Worst", I don't mean that he could turn out two different ways.  I think he'll turn out to be a politician that actually gives a damn about people.  This will make him either the worst politician (due to lack of success) or the best politician (due to both success and actually having good ethic)

Depends on the people, I suppose.

Though realistically, I think this kid will be burned out on politics by the time he hits High School.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:28:30 pm »
Tufts: I was balancing the budget when you idiots were sucking your thumbs.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 03:04:38 pm »

by the way, when I say "Best" or "Worst", I don't mean that he could turn out two different ways.  I think he'll turn out to be a politician that actually gives a damn about people.  This will make him either the worst politician (due to lack of success) or the best politician (due to both success and actually having good ethic)

Though realistically, I think this kid will be burned out on politics by the time he hits High School.

Of course, he might have a harder time getting elected in a race where $1 does not equal 1 vote and you actually have to get support instead of just spending the most money to win.

Oh... wait...

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 05:40:44 pm »

Of course, he might have a harder time getting elected in a race where $1 does not equal 1 vote and you actually have to get support instead of just spending the most money to win.

Oh... wait...

What I got from the article is that it's actually a random drawing from the ballots cast.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »
Tufts: I was balancing the budget when you idiots were sucking your thumbs.

I was balancing a budget while I was sucking my thumb!
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 01:06:13 pm »
What I got from the article is that it's actually a random drawing from the ballots cast.

Ah, yes, I missed that part.  I just saw the bit about how you could vote as many times as you like for $1 per vote.