Author Topic: Majority Whip Steve Scalise addressed white nationalists  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Majority Whip Steve Scalise addressed white nationalists
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:55:22 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/31/politics/scalise-scandal-explainer/

Washington (CNN) -- The story has all the traits of a career-ending political scandal: A congressman who recently snagged a top position in party leadership faces accusations that he addressed a hate group run by a notorious white supremacist. And all of that, just a week before his party is set to take the reigns of power in Congress.

But the fast rising career of Republican Rep. Steve Scalise, who was tapped as House Majority Whip this summer, may not be in the ditches just yet. There's a lot to keep track of. Here's what you need to know:

So what happened?

It turns out Scalise addressed an anti-Semitic, white supremacist group back in 2002 run by none other than David Duke, a former grand wizard of the Klu Klux Klan who is well-known in Scalise's home state of Louisiana because of several statewide campaigns for governor and senator.

A liberal Louisiana politics blogger revealed the encounter with the European-American Unity and Rights Organization (EURO) after finding an account of Scalise's speech to the group on a white supremacist forum.

The group is bad news for Scalise: it's been labeled as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which details the group's anti-semitic, racist views.

The next day, reporters in D.C. were asking Scalise's office about the meeting and after aides first said it was "probable" and then "likely" the congressman spoke to the group, Scalise broke his silence in an interview with his local paper, The Times-Picayune of New Orleans.

He said he didn't remember specifically addressing EURO, but said that at the time he "went and spoke to any group that called" in 2002 when he was trying to drum up support in opposing a state tax plan.

And then Scalise released the ultimate mea culpa statement Tuesday afternoon, calling his appearance at the event "a mistake I regret."

"One of the many groups that I spoke to regarding this critical legislation was a group whose views I wholeheartedly condemn. It was a mistake I regret," Scalise said.

He's gonna go down faster than Larry Craig in an airport men's room.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Majority Whip Steve Scalise addressed white nationalists
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:57:50 pm »
...Unless he expressed support for the group's ideology this does not seem THAT bad... Yea he spoke to a bunch of racists but if it was like he said and he was just drumming up support for his agenda it is just guilt by association.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 01:24:17 pm »
I'm calling this a non-issue.  The guy apologized and explained.  I'd say he's all right by me.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 01:31:31 pm »
Oh, no! A politician TALKED TO PEOPLE!!!! And they were BAD people?!?! That's awful!
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »
Maybe he's not a racist, but he's still a hypocrite.  He accused Van Jones of being a 9/11 truther because his name mistakenly appeared on a petition.  With that in mind, this seems deliciously karmic to me.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 01:55:03 pm »
I actually agree with the other comments here. If he was only talking about taxes,  give him the benefit of the doubt. Although I do appreciate the irony noted by UP.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 01:59:35 pm »
In any case, you're putting words in my mouth.  I never said he was a racist, or that the scandal was justified.  I was merely observing that this likely won't end well for him.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 02:17:43 pm »
If he was a Dem, the GOP would be calling for his ballsack.

Ironbite-and they'd get it too.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »
Maybe he's not a racist, but he's still a hypocrite.

he's a politician, what the hell did you expect? hypocrisy is an obvious necessity for politicos.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »
I stand with the "He's a Politician" camp.  They'll address any group with the ignorance and endurance to sit through it.  And they'll try to be as ingratiating as possible.  But politicians have neither conscience nor convictions, so their orations do not necessarily imply endorsement. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.