Author Topic: Why do people like Scott Walker keep winning despite being hated by everyone?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
I have a theory. It MUST be demographic changes. Sure, you have gerrymandering & whatnot but surely a state loaded with progressives would still have a foothold. There has been a big backlash against guys like Walker. However, despite all the protests from the vast legons of progressives....and Wisconsin's progressive history....Scott's still in power.

I think I know what happened....it's obvious. There was a political demographic change. That must be the case! The progressives moved out & the Teabaggers moved in en masse! That must be it! Surely if Wisconsin was still CRAWLING with a progressive majority, there would be a huge, well-deserved downfall.

Why has Walker defied the cosmic Law Of Return against all cosmic odds? Why has not his evil been punished?

Wisconsin is a state full of teabaggers. The true Wisconsinites of the REAL Wisconsin...the PROGRESSIVE Wisconsin....have moved out of state....and a huge hoard of ugly, old bigoted Teahadis moved in. Maybe they like the cheese, I dunno.

As a result, Walker defeated a woman who was touted as "The person who can beat Walker"....a woman who was popular and was actually AHEAD of Walker.

He's been elected FOUR times! That can only happen if there's a large amount of supporters! Surely, if Wisconsin was mostly progressive people, they would have hit the polls HARD in record numbers this time around and, gerrymandering or not, Mary Burke would've won!

Obviously, the teabagger Wisconsin populace LOVES being shit on!

SCOTT WALKER....YOU VOTED FOR HIM! YOU DESERVE HIM!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Money money money.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Hitting the polls hard in record numbers is remarkably difficult for progressives to pull off.

If we had election laws mandating ballots be mailed in from 100% of eligible voters, that wouldn't be the case. Sadly, Republicans benefit from opposing good election laws and enforcing suppressive ones.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Hitting the polls hard in record numbers is remarkably difficult for progressives to pull off.

If we had election laws mandating ballots be mailed in from 100% of eligible voters, that wouldn't be the case. Sadly, Republicans benefit from opposing good election laws and enforcing suppressive ones.

Mail-in voting? Please do explain how you stop someone's boss from saying, "Mark your ballot for my candidate and seal the envelope in front of me or you're fired."
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
I guess the only way to change this is to wait until all the regressive die off. They're mostly old people anyway.

Or, folks could reach out to righties and educate them without belittling them.

Here's an example of a wingnut who had health problems and was against Obamacare....who, eventually saw the light (with Progressive's help).....
http://aattp.org/man-who-bashed-obamacare-gets-sick-changes-mind-and-eventually-walks-away-from-the-gop/

Oh well, it's just a couple of states like this. Let Progressives move to Blue States and let those Red States go to Hell. It's the only way Teabaggers will learn.

I just don't understand how a majority, one that is educated & savvy, can be so inept at fighting a minority that emphasizes stupidity. Where's our savvy psychological edge? Where's our "mad propaganda skillz"? Where's our ability to copy what they're doing, thinking like our opponents, sneakiness, savvyness, psychology?

If progressives are a majority...and we're winning the culture wars....and we're the brainiacs & intellectuals....why can't we use our superior brains to win the political war?

Where's our experts, strategists, schemes, plans, studies?

Where are the LEGIONS of Progressive citizens running for LOCAL office....for Mayor, Schoolboard, Councilperson, etc?

The problem is that the Left & Center plays too nice! We need to bend the rules while still being true to our ideals!

I think the problem is that progressives are demoralized. The progressive world, reporting, commentary, web boards, etc. is rife with pessimism & being bummed. Perhaps if we embraced a cautious, sane optimism & idealism and can-do attitude, we could make waves.

I genuinely feel that the Religious Reich's practice of "Spiritual Warfare Prayer" WORKS! Even if you don't believe that there's mystical power in it, like I do, you could at least believe that it works as a psychological exercise to psych oneself up & raise morale, thus making one succeed at planning and executing things.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:20:35 am by Barbarella »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
It all boils down to money.
Scott walker is willing to toe the moneyed interests line to the complete abandonment of everyone else. As such those who fund his campaign basically make sure he wins.
The single deciding factor in all American politics is who has the most money. Whoever receives the most money, wins.

It does not help to blame progressives or conservatives or worry about demographics or anything like that. The American political system is broken. It is so horribly broken, and in so many ways its scary. The short version though is that you have a system of mock elections for a select oligarchy of people. Imagine it like getting to vote for which of a kings horrible princes gets to inherit the throne or what cloak he wears while he plays with peoples lives. It makes you think you as the people have a choice and are affecting things, but you are really not. The choices are made for you.

Over the years each little change has steadily eroded more and more of the democratic system. The two party system, gerrymandering and then money in politics rips the guts right out of democracy.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
How long before a Republican unironically suggests "we should just let the rich people rule. They're wise."
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
It all boils down to money.
Scott walker is willing to toe the moneyed interests line to the complete abandonment of everyone else. As such those who fund his campaign basically make sure he wins.
The single deciding factor in all American politics is who has the most money. Whoever receives the most money, wins.

It does not help to blame progressives or conservatives or worry about demographics or anything like that. The American political system is broken. It is so horribly broken, and in so many ways its scary. The short version though is that you have a system of mock elections for a select oligarchy of people. Imagine it like getting to vote for which of a kings horrible princes gets to inherit the throne or what cloak he wears while he plays with peoples lives. It makes you think you as the people have a choice and are affecting things, but you are really not. The choices are made for you.

Over the years each little change has steadily eroded more and more of the democratic system. The two party system, gerrymandering and then money in politics rips the guts right out of democracy.

Nice try. I still embrace hope.

I know you contrarians will say anything JUST to bum me out, otherwise, you would be more supportive and telling me not to worry, or at least not lay the doom on thick. You, Ironbite, Ironchew, Art Vanderlay, etc. will do anything to put a wet blanket on those of us who suggest that there's a silver lining & that things can change for the better.

I'm sorry but I reject your pessimism. I know you say these things to annoy me, because you have a deep pathological hatred of happy, hopeful people who see humanity's good side. Boy, what sad lives you must live. Wallowing in all that pessimism & hopelessness must suck worse than a black hole!

I'm sooooooooo happy to not be you.

Nice try. You will not induce another melt-down in me.

Blessed Be & Peace Be With You.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
I know you contrarians will say anything JUST to bum me out, otherwise, you would be more supportive and telling me not to worry, or at least not lay the doom on thick. You, Ironbite, Ironchew, Art Vanderlay, etc. will do anything to put a wet blanket on those of us who suggest that there's a silver lining & that things can change for the better.

I wasn't trying to be a wet blanket.
Things can change for the better, you are just focusing on the wrong targets. You feel that society needs to change and wake up to a more progressive outlook, but the fact of the matter is that society in general is becoming ever more progressive. The society does not need to change, its doing pretty well. That's how people like Scott Walker were originally kicked out of office, because the progressive people hated him so much they managed to organize a recall.

The problem was that afterwards the same broken elective system that got him into power resulted with him being immediately re-elected.

It is easy for a apathetic society to vote any Tom, Dick, or Harry into office, but it takes considerable effort for that person to be recalled by the constituents. It requires that the people actively work towards his removal which is a hell of a lot more effort than an election. For a recall to actually happen, you can see it as a majority of the constituents are in favor of that persons removal.

Things can change for the better, but the only way that will happen is if you change the game being played. The oligarchs have rigged the American election game completely in their favour. The only way to win, is to not even bother playing. Which is to say you must not be apathetic and do nothing, but you need to get out and change the game.

Unfortunately that is so much easier said than done. I wouldn't even really know where to begin. Perhaps at the absolute lowest level and getting a referendum in locally to switch from first past the post election to Single transferable vote elections. That would open the playing field for multiple parties that actually represent the people.

You talk about teatards and conservatives being the cause of Scott Walker being elected, but those save teatards and conservatives actually believe in the same values you do, for the most part, They dont actually align with Scott Walker or the republican party, but with the current electoral situation, they dont really have a choice, because its all rigged to begin with. Those same teatards and conservatives will stand with you to change the broken system. everyone wants change, but only those who the system has already corrupted have the courage to stand up and achieve that change. Change is a scary thing, and difficult to achieve, especially with the entire system out to stop you.

However, It is possible.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
Money doesn't always win elections. As for Wisconsin, I'm not familiar with the politics there. It is entirely possible that the Democratic Party there had pissed off the populace, and that the attempts to stop Walker's agenda were seen as obstructionist.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
One important thing to remember is that this isn't an "US VS THEM" issue.

That is to say that people aren't just divided in two opposite groups. Some people vote for the Republicans because they feel that they are choosing the "lesser evil" and the Democrats are even further from what they want. One issue voters may otherwise support all the nice things like LGBT rights and whatever the GOP opposes but because THEY ARE TAKING AWAY OUR GUNS! #2ND AMENDMENT 4 LIFE they can't just vote for the Democrats.

And as the GOP keeps moving more and more towards the fringe they keep netting more of these fringe voters. Meanwhile, what do the Democrats gain if they become more liberal? Aren't they already getting the votes of most of the liberals? And if they move to the right and try to steal voters they will face the same problem that took down the SDP in Finland. If the leftist party (in comparison to the other one in USA's case. They both are Right wing parties from my pov.) is going to end up doing right wing politics anyway you might as well vote the party that is honest about being a right wing party.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast

I wasn't trying to be a wet blanket.
Things can change for the better, you are just focusing on the wrong targets. You feel that society needs to change and wake up to a more progressive outlook, but the fact of the matter is that society in general is becoming ever more progressive. The society does not need to change, its doing pretty well. That's how people like Scott Walker were originally kicked out of office, because the progressive people hated him so much they managed to organize a recall.

The problem was that afterwards the same broken elective system that got him into power resulted with him being immediately re-elected.

It is easy for a apathetic society to vote any Tom, Dick, or Harry into office, but it takes considerable effort for that person to be recalled by the constituents. It requires that the people actively work towards his removal which is a hell of a lot more effort than an election. For a recall to actually happen, you can see it as a majority of the constituents are in favor of that persons removal.

Things can change for the better, but the only way that will happen is if you change the game being played. The oligarchs have rigged the American election game completely in their favour. The only way to win, is to not even bother playing. Which is to say you must not be apathetic and do nothing, but you need to get out and change the game.

Unfortunately that is so much easier said than done. I wouldn't even really know where to begin. Perhaps at the absolute lowest level and getting a referendum in locally to switch from first past the post election to Single transferable vote elections. That would open the playing field for multiple parties that actually represent the people.

You talk about teatards and conservatives being the cause of Scott Walker being elected, but those save teatards and conservatives actually believe in the same values you do, for the most part, They dont actually align with Scott Walker or the republican party, but with the current electoral situation, they dont really have a choice, because its all rigged to begin with. Those same teatards and conservatives will stand with you to change the broken system. everyone wants change, but only those who the system has already corrupted have the courage to stand up and achieve that change. Change is a scary thing, and difficult to achieve, especially with the entire system out to stop you.

However, It is possible.

Okay. That's cool. I do agree with you a bit. I don't deny the influence of Big Money, corruption, fraud, etc. in elections. I may not be as extreme about it (I still believe voting works and citizens still have a voice...albeit with challenges & hurdles) but I understand.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
You mentioned in a few threads that you'd focus on education. Sure, there's a logic there. However I'm curious how'd educate the ranks who pride themselves on being anti intellectual?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
How long before a Republican unironically suggests "we should just let the rich people rule. They're wise."

We have already had some suggesting we restrict voting to moneyed landowners, like in the beginning.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Art Vandelay

No need, they already do.