Author Topic: Fun times in Syria  (Read 30984 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Fun times in Syria
« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2013, 07:18:41 pm »
It's Fox News, is honestly the only thing one has to say.

Just like 'it was the 80s.'

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2013, 08:39:03 pm »
It looks like Liz Cheney, the most ardently pro-war pundit in the media, is against the Syria strike. As are staunch Iraq War supporters Rick Santorum and Paul Broun. On the other hand, Iraq War opponents John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi are now beating the drums for war.

I'll bet these are principled conversions, and not purely self-serving flip-flops for political and partisan gain.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:27 pm »
Before, I was on the fence.  Now I'm saying that I'm against getting involved in this war.

That being said, Obama asking Congress for permission could be him passing the buck.  But I'm not optimistic enough to say that with any certainty.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »
It looks like Liz Cheney, the most ardently pro-war pundit in the media, is against the Syria strike. As are staunch Iraq War supporters Rick Santorum and Paul Broun. On the other hand, Iraq War opponents John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi are now beating the drums for war.

I'll bet these are principled conversions, and not purely self-serving flip-flops for political and partisan gain.
This is why I'm an independent.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »
I'm pretty much against having another war, we just had two that put us in the hole. Let others deal with Syria for once.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2013, 03:58:59 am »
I just found out that a year and a half ago, Rick Santorum was for a full military intervention in Syria. not just a bombing, a full invasion.

I think I know the reason why so many House Republicans who would almost certainly support the bombing of Syria if a Republican President was calling for it are voting against it. It's a Batman Gambit to get Obama impeached. If Obama bombs Syria anyway after Congress votes no (and since he bombed Libya two years ago without even asking Congress for authorization, this is a very likely possibility), they will be able to impeach Obama for violating the War Powers Act and overstepping his Constitutional Boundries.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2013, 06:36:23 am »
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG SO WRONG!

The War Powers Act only applies if this is an actual war.  Otherwise, Obama has 90 days to play with his bombs before getting the fuck out.  As Obama is also the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, he can do whatever the fuck he wants with the military.  As long as he's out of Syria by the 90th day of the first bomb being thrown that is.

Ironbite-this is a Batman Gambit on Obama's part to get the GOP to do something.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2013, 07:02:24 am »
Or this is Obama passing responsibility for this to the GOP.  Whatever they decide is on them.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2013, 09:54:49 am »
Or this is Obama passing responsibility for this to the GOP.  Whatever they decide is on them.
Admittedly, I like him (sort of) setting the precedence that even with the power at his disposal he will ask the people for permission before letting shit fly. Realistically, having 90 days of free reign over military action will force the U.S. into a war if that is any president's intention. On the downside, this endless public debate gives the enemy a lot of time to prepare their defences which really sucks if you are one of the pawns that is going to be used to breach them.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2013, 10:52:57 am »
Admittedly, I like him (sort of) setting the precedence that even with the power at his disposal he will ask the people for permission before letting shit fly. Realistically, having 90 days of free reign over military action will force the U.S. into a war if that is any president's intention. On the downside, this endless public debate gives the enemy a lot of time to prepare their defences which really sucks if you are one of the pawns that is going to be used to breach them.

Most of those pawns are Tomahawk missiles.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »

Most of those pawns are Tomahawk missiles.

For now. Hopefully it stays that way.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2013, 02:20:24 pm »
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Sunday portrayed the current conflict in Syria as one between the government of President Bashar Al Assad, who Paul said "has protected Christians for a number of decades," and "Islamic rebels," who Paul said "have been attacking Christians" and are aligned with Al Qaeda.

"I think the Islamic rebels winning is a bad idea for the Christians, and all of a sudden we'll have another Islamic state where Christians are persecuted," Paul said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/01/rand-paul-syria_n_3852644.html
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:30 pm »
YAY!  Its another idiot who doesn't know what the fuck is going on.

Ironbite-WHO KEEPS ELECTING THESE FUCKING MORONS!?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2013, 02:58:56 pm »
YAY!  Its another idiot who doesn't know what the fuck is going on.

Ironbite-WHO KEEPS ELECTING THESE FUCKING MORONS!?

Americans.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2013, 06:15:46 pm »
Dumb Americans, we're full of 'em.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman