Author Topic: Fox guest: Science led to the holocaust!  (Read 2738 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Fox guest: Science led to the holocaust!
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:27:11 am »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/02/fox-news-guest-scientific-enlightenment-and-reason-led-to-the-holocaust/

A Fox News guest on Thursday slammed President Barack Obama’s transportation secretary nominee, connecting him to an 18th century scientific movement that embraced reason, which she said was partially to blame for the Holocaust.

Fox News host Steve Doocy asked Penny Nance, CEO of the Christian activist group Concerned Women for America, if she could make any sense out of why Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx would proclaim May 2 as both a “Day of Prayer” and a “Day of Reason.”

“He comes from North Carolina, which has the 7th highest church attendance, clearly he’s not running for re-election since he’s up for transportation secretary,” she opined. “You know, G. K. Chesterton said that the Doctrine of Original Sin is the only one which we have 3,000 years of empirical evidence to back up. Clearly, we need faith as a component and it’s just silly for us to say otherwise.”

“You know, the Age of Enlightenment and Reason gave way to moral relativism. And moral relativism is what led us all the way down the dark path to the Holocaust… Dark periods of history is what we arrive at when we leave God out of the equation.”

This lady comes on to "Fox and Friends" and basically says that science and reason is what leads to the darkest moments in human history, like the Holocaust for example.  When will fundies stop using this lame ass argument?
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

Re: Fox guest: Science led to the holocaust!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:10:34 am »
Just tie them to a chair and give me a history textbook and fifteen minutes alone with them.

WITCH BURNINGS *WHACK* CRUSADES *WHACK* INQUISITIONS *WHACK* POGROMS *WHACK* and so on and so forth.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:41:37 am »
Just tie them to a chair and give me a history textbook and fifteen minutes alone with them.

WITCH BURNINGS *WHACK* CRUSADES *WHACK* INQUISITIONS *WHACK* POGROMS *WHACK* and so on and so forth.
Hit 'em till they learn it through osmosis!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:45:04 pm »
Obviously it's the only way they'll learn.

Ironbite-and this is why we can't have nice things.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:15:57 am »
Do people who say shit like this understand that science is a tool and a methodology, not an ideology?  It's like saying spanners and mechanical engineering caused the blitz.

I'm guessing they don't understand because their scientific understanding in general tends to be comparable to that of an empty crisp packet.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:17:40 am by Katsuro »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:39:56 am »
Do people who say shit like this understand that science is a tool and a methodology, not an ideology?  It's like saying spanners and mechanical engineering caused the blitz.

I'm guessing they don't understand because their scientific understanding in general tends to be comparable to that of an empty crisp packet.

The problem is that the methodology applied wrong leads to things like social Darwinism, and social Darwinism leads to things like genocide. Of course, the exact same fucking thing happens when religious texts are interpreted the wrong way.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what systems of thought we use in a society, it matters how we choose to use them.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:53:37 am »
Maybe it's just because it's early, but this makes no damned sense.  I had to read it again to try to figure out her nonsensical string of words and incoherent thought.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline ASkeptic

• Neonate
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 01:24:32 pm »
And 'faith' and 'belief' lead to witch hunts and jihad.

I'd say the scoreboard is about even.
"You know I found out recently that the word 'heretic' comes from the Greek word 'hereticos' meaning 'able to choose', which pretty much says it all, don't you think?" -Pat Condell

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »
And 'faith' and 'belief' lead to witch hunts and jihad.

I'd say the scoreboard is about even.

Even? The religious ran things for a few centuries. Scientists, like Rodney Dangerfield, can't get no respect in many places.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 01:37:02 am »
If these goofs hate science so much, why don't they just get naked & live under a rock in a rainforest somewhere?  >:( :P

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 07:05:00 am »
By that logic, someone eating a sandwich resulted in the first world war which led to the Holocaust and second world war, which led to the mess in the middle east and 9/11. 

So there, lunchmeat is responsible for 9/11.  But wait, Fox News did an article on lunchmeat:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/14/southern-california-company-recalls-16000-pounds-deli-meat/

So, they're endorsing the terrorists!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 08:55:13 am »
By that logic, someone eating a sandwich resulted in the first world war which led to the Holocaust and second world war, which led to the mess in the middle east and 9/11. 

So there, lunchmeat is responsible for 9/11.  But wait, Fox News did an article on lunchmeat:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/14/southern-california-company-recalls-16000-pounds-deli-meat/

So, they're endorsing the terrorists!

Well tinned food did allow for armies to operate all year round...