Author Topic: The "Faith" Arguement.  (Read 11849 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: The "Faith" Arguement.
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 04:58:52 pm »
Not sure how on topic this is, but I noticed that 99% of the time religion comes up as a topic (this thread being in the 1% exception group), opponents are always accused of not understanding the faith.

It's a special pleading tactic that religious people love to trot out whenever they're faced with perfectly valid points against their faith.

A: Salvation is the clearest demonstration of God's love.
B: But what about the threat of hell?
A: I don't follow.
B: A loving god would not have to threaten people with eternal torment. That's what bullies and thugs do to coerce weaker people.
A: You don't understand God's love. <-- special pleading
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 05:00:13 pm »
In my book, heaven is open to all faiths.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 06:32:10 pm »
It's about conviction.  If you're convinced there's something out there that can change things in the real world, given how powerful God is supposed to be you're going to be a frightened little puppy especially if youthink you're going to be punished.  Factor in that these institutions have been in place and in power for centuries, while you will have people who can be functional and not let their fear of the future get the best of them, and others who will, for whatever reasons, allow their fears to behoove their common sense. 

Take for example the chunk of someone's heart that was supposedly found in a font in Poland after a Host was dropped by accident on the floor and placed in said font.  Many of the goers to that parish declared it a miracle and that it was proof that the Host is not just  a wafer but the actual flesh of Christ.  I'd say that someone did a little sleight of hand to boost sagging attendance.  Especially when it happened years earlier in Brazil.

Or the windows of a bank in Clearwater Florida that was supposedly a sign because it resembled a woman wearing a hood and was, of course, declared Mary by the Catholic majority.  After an investigation by some skeptic found out that a sprinkler had broken and the mineral salts in the sprinkler's water supply likely created this image by accident.

While I'm going to disagree a bit with Ultimate Paragon about some things, I'm sure that discussions would be respectful and possibly enlightening.  On the other hand, does anyone remember BigChrisfilm's OCD efforts of copypasting lousy apologetics in the hope that the "self-evident truths" would somehow shut down FSTDT?
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?