Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1629299 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:46 pm »
While Obama is far from perfect, it's rather idiotic to place all of the blame on him when the Republicans block every bill he tries to pass, and they have a majority in Congress.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #781 on: March 31, 2012, 12:53:53 am »
Antecrist, don't you know?  Even if the Republicans cockblock Obama, he's still to blame.  Because he's got the audacity to be black and in the White House.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #782 on: March 31, 2012, 02:39:09 am »
And it's not racist to say that because his mother was white.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #783 on: March 31, 2012, 04:26:12 am »
Antecrist, don't you know?  Even if the Republicans cockblock Obama, he's still to blame.  Because he's got the audacity to be black and in the White House.

Well, I'm sure that doesn't help, but Americans tend to be very short sighted and look for a singular cause (the President) to their problems. Its these expectations that result in the office of the Presidency being given so much power (the most important according to Richard Neustadt being the power to persuade and be a middle-man between various agencies, governments, and organizations) and Reagan's famous slogan "are things better now than four years ago." This short sightedness in blaming the President is widespread and even members of this fairly intelligent board (I will only speak in particular for myself) fall into this trap.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #784 on: March 31, 2012, 08:35:11 am »

Well, I'm sure that doesn't help, but Americans tend to be very short sighted and look for a singular cause (the President) to their problems. Its these expectations that result in the office of the Presidency being given so much power (the most important according to Richard Neustadt being the power to persuade and be a middle-man between various agencies, governments, and organizations) and Reagan's famous slogan "are things better now than four years ago." This short sightedness in blaming the President is widespread and even members of this fairly intelligent board (I will only speak in particular for myself) fall into this trap.

I kind of wonder what would happen if, like the legislative and judicial branches, the executive branch was actually headed by a group rather than a single individual. I’m sure people would find some way to fall into the trap like usual. It is, after all, a result of human nature that we do so to begin with. But one would think that falling in would be more difficult in such a situation. Might force a few people to actually… *gasp!*… think!
-A Pen Name

QueenofHearts

« Reply #785 on: March 31, 2012, 08:54:28 am »
I've thought that too, and I think the answer would be it depends on how the executive branch would be elected (with one representative per district or a group of people nationally elected). If the people would be elected nationally, it would probably be like it is now (where if things are better they get re-elected) whereas if it were local representation it would be much like Congress. Despite Congress polling  at something like 9% popularity, Congressmen and women laugh because those polls don't matter. Which matters, is how popular congresspeople are within their districts. My professor on Congressional and Presidential rhetoric said it best "Congress is nothing but a bunch of Washington-insiders and criminals. They should all be arrested! Except for my congressman, he's one of the good ones." This is the reason why despite such low popularity, incumbency is so high. So, if the executives were locally elected, I see it being much like this. I may be wrong (of course) but this is my take on it.

EDIT: And that's another thing that is unique to the President in America, they are the only person elected nationally, by every state. This could also play into the expectations of the presidency where people expect the President to make things good in general (economy, gas prices, unemployment), whereas representatives just have to "bring home the bacon" which is considerably easier a task.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:57:43 am by QueenofHearts »

Offline Sandafluffoid

• Bishop
  • Defective Detective
« Reply #786 on: March 31, 2012, 09:02:37 am »

Nothing new but look what I found over here:

Assuming my Chinese is alright, the text is basically unchanged but without the hippy references since, well, China has no hippies. The commentary accompanying it, however, seems to think that the American election will be split along gender lines, which is odd.
Oh look it's me.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #787 on: March 31, 2012, 04:46:01 pm »

aren't two of those wars over?  And one of them ended much sooner then the 2 he inherited?
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #788 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »
Pretty much.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #789 on: March 31, 2012, 07:34:21 pm »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #790 on: March 31, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »

Okay a guy on FB I know had that first pic up.  What is the big deal about the bottom right one I mean that does not make the Martin look worse

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #791 on: March 31, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »
It makes Martin look like gangsta, which means he must obviously be violent and stuff.

It's not even a picture of him.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #792 on: March 31, 2012, 09:06:29 pm »
Okay a guy on FB I know had that first pic up.  What is the big deal about the bottom right one I mean that does not make the Martin look worse

It does, in a certain context, because it makes him look like a stupid teenager who cares about looking tough. A clean cut straight-A student comes off a whole lot differently (in public perception, however unfair this is) than a teenager who's trying to be "gangsta". Mind you, the person who found it never considered there was more than Trayvon Martin in the country, so it's of a totally different person, but the intent was there.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #793 on: March 31, 2012, 09:07:49 pm »

It does, in a certain context, because it makes him look like a stupid teenager who cares about looking tough. A clean cut straight-A student comes off a whole lot differently (in public perception, however unfair this is) than a teenager who's trying to be "gangsta". Mind you, the person who found it never considered there was more than Trayvon Martin in the country, so it's of a totally different person, but the intent was there.
Odd when I see that I see a kid being a kid

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #794 on: March 31, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »

Kids will be kids.

The Shane that is typing this right now was pretty gangstah himself back in middle school cause it was the in-thing. Eminem was big during that time, so...

Of course the intent is there to make Martin look bad. Smear campaign and all that. Make him look less sympathetic and more likely to commit the crime of attacking 'poor Zimmerman'.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!