Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 384999 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« on: November 17, 2016, 08:35:12 pm »
Since the election has ended, I think there should be a new thread about the most obvious result. Hope you don't mind me starting one.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:58:07 pm »
By all means..looks like a lot of my countrymen have decided that the US needs to hand the psychos the keys to the asylum. Lovely.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:32:54 am »
It's kinda sad that so few people voted in elections. This is not just USA though, other countries have the same problem too.

And despite the complaint about Trump losing the popular vote you have to admit that it was really, really close.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 01:17:05 am »
And despite the complaint about Trump losing the popular vote you have to admit that it was really, really close.

Bush and Gore were close. Clinton won by almost 1.5 million.
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:25:58 am »
Yes, but because she could not win the votes of a group of testaments to the devastating mental effects of inbreeding, she lost.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 01:40:25 am »
Yes, but because she could not win the votes of a group of testaments to the devastating mental effects of inbreeding, she lost.

Which is why Clinton winning the popular vote is only a demonstration of how the Electoral College is massively flawed. I'm curious what the numbers would have looked like if the votes were distributed proportionately to the popular vote as opposed to the all or nothing system that I think I'm safe in saying has proven itself to advantage the Republicans after two Republican presidential victories in my lifetime that lost the popular vote.

Of course, my point was that saying it was close isn't as much of an argument as it was for Bush and Gore. Now, granted, I am not saying that the Electoral College is the only factor in Trumps victory (of which I give the most blame to the media for treating him with kid gloves while constantly harping on the fucking e-mails), but I do think it is a factor.

EDIT: Also, low voter turnout is not why Trump won, by the way. Turnout was down from 2012, but by only 1.3%.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:44:55 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 03:56:10 am »
Which is why Clinton winning the popular vote is only a demonstration of how the Electoral College is massively flawed. I'm curious what the numbers would have looked like if the votes were distributed proportionately to the popular vote as opposed to the all or nothing system that I think I'm safe in saying has proven itself to advantage the Republicans after two Republican presidential victories in my lifetime that lost the popular vote.

I'm already planning to do this on another forum as soon as all the results are certified. I'll definitely post it here, as well.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 04:17:30 am »
Question to the Americans here, is it true that the electoral college was devised as a way of giving more votes to the slave-owning states? Is there anything in that?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 04:28:15 am »
Generally speaking, I usually see people claim it's to prevent the tyranny of the majority (ironic how they're so concerned with that when it benefits them, but happily cite the majority opinion on things like gay marriage), but I would be more likely to wager that it's an efficiency measure due to difficulty in counting ballots in the 18th century.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 04:38:57 am »
Keep in mind that states have an exclusive and plenary power to decide how to allocate their votes in the Electoral College--even today, Maine and Nebraska allocate by congressional seat (hence 2 votes to the statewide winner for the Senate seats, and 1 to the winner in each House district--and Obama won Nebraska's 2nd district in 2008 and Trump won Maine's 2nd district this year). The winner-take-all system was not in common use early on; congressional district apportionment was used, or having the state Governor choose, or what have you.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 06:26:15 am »
It was a military coup. The FBI and the NYT told everyone to vote for a Nazi, so they did.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 06:34:25 am »
It was a military coup. The FBI and the NYT told everyone to vote for a Nazi, so they did.
Fred, I've got to tell you. Sometimes, you make some very good points. Other times, you sound like a hysterical tin foil hat enthusiast. Guess which category your latest post falls into?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 07:54:45 am »
Fred, I've got to tell you. Sometimes, you make some very good points. Other times, you sound like a hysterical tin foil hat enthusiast. Guess which category your latest post falls into?
Comey's timing was a bit on the sus side.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 09:10:23 am »
Comey's timing was a bit on the sus side.

Still, Fred (and Niam as well) isn't doing anyone any favors by talking about "coups" and "Nazis" and "incompetent degenerates". I wonder how many people realize that many, many people voted for Trump because he offered a change, and Hillary did not? That many people voted for Trump because Hillary had no platform aside from "don't vote for that other guy"? That a lot of people were concerned with the absolute multitude of baggage she was trailing around behind her? Or that she actively attempted to shut down all other fronts and information in her campaign?

...Nah, it must just be 60 million racists and sexists, right?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 10:20:49 am »
She lacked passion is what she did and had the arrogance to assume the cat was in the bag.  It was never in the bag.

Ironbite-next 2-4 years will be hell.