Author Topic: Dark Enlightenment: The Neoreactionary Movement  (Read 8013 times)

Offline Nemo

• Pope
Re: Dark Enlightenment: The Neoreactionary Movement
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 05:24:09 pm »
Eh, just another group of 2edgy4me dickwads. thankfully their ideology is so stupid that it will never reach wide popularity.

Didn't people say this about the Tea Party?
The Tea Party wasn't and isn't really anything new, though. It is essentially the far right pretending they speak for the everyman. The branches of the Tea Party who do oppose the Republicans are shooting themselves and the Republicans as a whole in the foot. Open contempt for the democratic process and preference for monarchy, though, is a pretty radical idea in the context of American political thought.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 05:27:15 pm »
Eh, just another group of 2edgy4me dickwads. thankfully their ideology is so stupid that it will never reach wide popularity.

Didn't people say this about the Tea Party?
The Tea Party wasn't and isn't really anything new, though. It is essentially the far right pretending they speak for the everyman. The branches of the Tea Party who do oppose the Republicans are shooting themselves and the Republicans as a whole in the foot. Open contempt for the democratic process and preference for monarchy, though, is a pretty radical idea in the context of American political thought.

True, but people still dismissed them as not going anywhere.

And now several of them are holding decently powerful political positions.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 05:41:46 pm »
It never hurts to be wary.

Precisely, just because it comes from someone who looks damned silly doesn't mean they can't be damned dangerous in the right place at the right time. A frustrated, inadequate twit can be incredibly dangerous given the means. Take Saloth Sar, son of a rich farmer goes to study in Paris to become a mediocre student and later-given the right set of circumstances becomes one of the most scary mass murdering dictators of their age.

Also, Elliot Rogers for more small scale example of an inadequate twit with delusions of grandeur becoming actually lethal.

Also, Godwin accepted happily thank you very much-but still topical.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 08:28:39 pm »

The sad part is, you're not wrong.  After the Teatards, I'm wary of any crazy motherfuckers like this.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 08:33:03 pm »

The sad part is, you're not wrong.  After the Teatards, I'm wary of any crazy motherfuckers like this.

Agreed.

Though for me it was more Elliot Rodgers that cemented the idea that we should take idiotic cults and movements seriously.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 08:34:10 pm »
At least, for our generation.  Things like Waco and Heaven's Gate likely did it for our parents.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 08:34:41 pm »

If there is anything I took away from the old FSTDT site and that's that crazy motherfuckers can still be funny as fuck! That's half the reason WHY they are funny, don't ever make the mistake of writing them off as harmless though!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »
Yup, just look at the Joker.  He's funny as hell and a murderous psychopath.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 08:41:16 pm »
At least, for our generation.  Things like Waco and Heaven's Gate likely did it for our parents.

Fuck, we really are doomed to make the same mistakes as the last generation, aren't we?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 10:20:49 pm »
Even their beliefs are based upon a Star Wars character...

Yeah, they seem silly, but given who they aspire to, it never hurts to be wary. A good number of them are involved in technological business and such. They could potentially become dangerous. Not in a killing many people sort of way, in a Leading the NSA sort of way.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 07:25:02 am »
Incidentally, I almost misread the topic title as "The Necromancer Movement."

Oh, good, it wasn't just me. Also, that would have been infinitely cooler that what we got.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:30:44 am by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 07:48:37 am »
So....Basically these people are fascist nerds?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 07:53:56 am »
Not exactly.  Fascism is populist, this isn't.  They're also opposed to fascism for other reasons; namely, the fact that it's a system they call "demotist", a term they use to describe somebody who rules in the name of the people.

However, the system they want would most likely be very authoritarian.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 08:41:35 am »

Fuck, we really are doomed to make the same mistakes as the last generation, aren't we?

Not necessarily.  Waco and Heaven's Gate cost a lotta lives.  Bullshit like this may cost a few, but those would be indirect losses.  If the trend continues, then we'd prolly see a complete loss of...most of this kind of fuckery by the time we're grandparents.  It'll be a long time, sure, but we're learning.  Sometimes, unfortunately, it just takes time.

Not exactly.  Fascism is populist, this isn't.  They're also opposed to fascism for other reasons; namely, the fact that it's a system they call "demotist", a term they use to describe somebody who rules in the name of the people.

Exactly, they're not fascists.  Fascists at least try to come off like they care about someone other than themselves.  These people are just plain old feudalists, while not having the self-awareness to realize that, in a truly feudal society, they'd more than likely be serfs like the rest of us.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:43:35 am by RavynousHunter »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 08:57:45 am »

Oh bleeding heck, so they aren't fascists because it's "too mainstream". They really are 2Edgy4U!