Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you hate?  (Read 73539 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: What are some religious phrases you hate?
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2012, 06:38:04 am »
In a similar vein, "Do you know the Lord?"

It's a no-win question unless the answer is "Yes".

Yes, How could I not know William Blake?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline DharmicDalek

• Neonate
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:05 pm »
I could end a long rant by instead saying  that the New Age butchers Hinduism like Paul butchered Christ.
I'd be interested in that rant.

You see, New Age takes the choicest bits of Hinduism with all the thoughtfulness of Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre butchering a human body. How many New Agers see Reincarnation as a nice fluffy thing, as if it was a simple school lesson? Every single Dharmic faith, from Hinduism to Buddhism to Jainism to Sikhism all say with one voice that reincarnation is a curse. To say "Oh, we will simply reincarnate with every new life, with it teaching us nice things" is kind of like saying Adam and Eve eating the apple was a good thing. And then there is the "Karma as Social Justice" bullshit. Karma is not a force for justice. It is the thing that binds us to reincarnation. Even "Good" Karma will end with us just reincarnating on a higher plain....and us going back to the rest of the masses once that runs out. The differences of the dharmic faiths (Will worshiping a God banish our bad Karma? Is it something only Man can do, on his own? How extreme does asceticism need to be, if  it is needed at all? Can a householder do it?) are in fixing the karmic debt problem, but all agree karma is bad. And then we have the concept of Kali Yuga being shoehorned into the 2012 BS..... Look up the concept of the "Plastic Shaman". It fits Hinduism as well.

God damn Deprak Chopra as an example:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/aseem_shukla/2010/04/dr_chopra_honor_thy_heritage.html
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/aseem_shukla/2010/04/hinduism_and_sanatana_dharma_one_and_the_same.html

By divorcing Yoga from Hinduism, the west rapes Indian history and what it means to be a Hindu. Aseem Shukla says it better then I ever could

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2012, 11:12:47 pm »
In a similar vein, "Do you know the Lord?"

It's a no-win question unless the answer is "Yes".

Are we using the Biblical euphemism "know"?

/giggity 
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »
I could end a long rant by instead saying  that the New Age butchers Hinduism like Paul butchered Christ.
I'd be interested in that rant.

You see, New Age takes the choicest bits of Hinduism with all the thoughtfulness of Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre butchering a human body. How many New Agers see Reincarnation as a nice fluffy thing, as if it was a simple school lesson? Every single Dharmic faith, from Hinduism to Buddhism to Jainism to Sikhism all say with one voice that reincarnation is a curse. To say "Oh, we will simply reincarnate with every new life, with it teaching us nice things" is kind of like saying Adam and Eve eating the apple was a good thing. And then there is the "Karma as Social Justice" bullshit. Karma is not a force for justice. It is the thing that binds us to reincarnation. Even "Good" Karma will end with us just reincarnating on a higher plain....and us going back to the rest of the masses once that runs out. The differences of the dharmic faiths (Will worshiping a God banish our bad Karma? Is it something only Man can do, on his own? How extreme does asceticism need to be, if  it is needed at all? Can a householder do it?) are in fixing the karmic debt problem, but all agree karma is bad. And then we have the concept of Kali Yuga being shoehorned into the 2012 BS..... Look up the concept of the "Plastic Shaman". It fits Hinduism as well.

God damn Deprak Chopra as an example:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/aseem_shukla/2010/04/dr_chopra_honor_thy_heritage.html
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/aseem_shukla/2010/04/hinduism_and_sanatana_dharma_one_and_the_same.html

By divorcing Yoga from Hinduism, the west rapes Indian history and what it means to be a Hindu. Aseem Shukla says it better then I ever could

Bold mine.

According to Gnosticism, eating the apple was a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:41:49 pm by Mechtaur »

Offline DharmicDalek

• Neonate
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »

Bold mine

As an ex-gnostic, I know that. I stopped being a gnostic when I was sick of the unhealthy dualism. I realized this when I was in a forest admiring its beauty that material existence as it is is not inherently evil or suffering, even if nature is indeed red in tooth and claw. Same reason I am not Buddhist, as admirable their ethics of compassion are.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2012, 11:43:49 pm »

Bold mine

As an ex-gnostic, I know that. I stopped being a gnostic when I was sick of the unhealthy dualism. I realized this when I was in a forest admiring its beauty that material existence as it is is not inherently evil or suffering, even if nature is indeed red in tooth and claw. Same reason I am not Buddhist, as admirable their ethics of compassion are.

I know, I read your "Religious Affiliation" post. I'm just being that little "Weellllllll, there's one problem with your post here" person. ;)

Offline jlujan69

• Neonate
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:42 am »
All variations of the following:

- "Don't cast pearls before swine."

That one should only be used if the Christian is facing unfair ridicule or actual persecution.
Yeah, I'm a Fundy and I've probably said a darndest thing or two since becoming one.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2012, 03:03:44 am »
Did someone say yoga?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2012, 03:53:08 am »
All variations of the following:

- "Don't cast pearls before swine."

That one should only be used if the Christian is facing unfair ridicule or actual persecution.

That would be a good rule of thumb, but the fundamentalists who tend to use that verse as a crutch also see "unfair ridicule and persecution" around every corner. Can't push prayer into public school classrooms? Persecution. LGBT people are protected under anti-discrimination laws? Denial of religious freedoms. Someone doesn't believe in the Bible? Ridicule.

A legitimate complaint would be if someone else went out of their way to mock a Christian for their beliefs. For various reasons I am not a Christian, but I try to avoid mocking anyone  just for believing differently. I know that if I were raised in a different country or even just a different household, I might have very different religious views.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2012, 07:27:04 pm »
Damn, this thread keeps getting buried.  Anyway, lurking on Christian Forums, I found a thread dealing with the current Chick-fil-a debacle.  The title? "American Consumers Speak Loud and Clear: We Love Free Speech, Marriage, and Chicken."

Now, I believe the whole situation with Chick-fil-a is getting out of hand (on both sides), but looking at this thread title really grated me.  I hate it when people say that those who support traditional marriage 'love' marriage.  Yeah, those gays really hate the shit out of marriage, what with wanting to be able to take part in it and all.  Everyone knows that if you love something, you keep it exactly the same way, and never want to make it better, or change it to keep it relevant.  That's not even getting into how many times the 'traditions' of marriage have changed.

Every time someone says changing tradition is horrible, I want to scream, "Has no one read The Lottery?" (And I don't care if tradition wasn't one of the original themes or not, that's how I learned it)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2012, 06:53:29 pm »
I support traditional marriage.  I also support gay marriage.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2012, 01:33:52 am »
"We Christians are so persecuted in today's society!"

No. No we are fucking not. If world religions were in some kind of competition, we fucking won.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2012, 06:43:03 pm »
Not explicitly religious, but usually closely connected.

"Your mother was pro-life"

Way to jump to conclusions. My mother actually finds abortion too morally complex to decide, and was previously committed to the pro-choice side. I find it offensive that people can make such a claim. Do they really think being pro-choice means "Abort ALL THE BABIES!" or something?

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2012, 01:23:23 am »
My mother is pro-choice. She CHOSE to have me.

Which, now that I think about it, makes it more special.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »
Not explicitly religious, but usually closely connected.

"Your mother was pro-life"

Way to jump to conclusions. My mother actually finds abortion too morally complex to decide, and was previously committed to the pro-choice side. I find it offensive that people can make such a claim. Do they really think being pro-choice means "Abort ALL THE BABIES!" or something?

Yes.  Yes, they do.

Otherwise, the "human extinction" argument would be dead in the water.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!