Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you hate?  (Read 73632 times)

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
Re: What are some religious phrases you hate?
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 04:18:59 am »
Found a new one: "If Evolution is true, why help the poor?"

The logic of that statement...just kills my brain.

I think they're confusing evolution with natural selection/survival of the fittest. Which is all kinds of wrong.

Even so, they clearly don’t even know what survival of the fittest means. Whoever came up with the term “Social Darwinism” shoulda gotten a smack upside the head, too. With a jackhammer.

If Social Darwinism lived up to its name, it would actually encourage caring for and protecting other members of the community so that the population remains stable and healthy.

It's just its common usage that means Fuck-You-Type Randroidism.

not only that, but they think science has anything to do with morality, that scientists think that because things work a certain way in the natural world that's the way things should work in society.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 04:24:01 am »
Found a new one: "If Evolution is true, why help the poor?"

The logic of that statement...just kills my brain.

I think they're confusing evolution with natural selection/survival of the fittest. Which is all kinds of wrong.

Even so, they clearly don’t even know what survival of the fittest means. Whoever came up with the term “Social Darwinism” shoulda gotten a smack upside the head, too. With a jackhammer.

If Social Darwinism lived up to its name, it would actually encourage caring for and protecting other members of the community so that the population remains stable and healthy.

It's just its common usage that means Fuck-You-Type Randroidism.

not only that, but they think science has anything to do with morality, that scientists think that because things work a certain way in the natural world that's the way things should work in society.

Science doesn't provide "oughts." It provides "is's." What you do with those "is's" is up to you.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 05:33:42 am »
I think it's because their religion tells them both how the world works and about morality and they think science is a religion so they think it must have something to do with morality. Or something.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2012, 03:06:12 pm »
I really hate the "tornado in a junkyard" or the "watchmaker" arguments...they really just make my blood boil.

Or, the whole, "If we let gays marry, then what's to stop people from marrying a child or their dog? Or a tree?"

It's like a blatant dishonest standpoint that they know full well is going over the top. Gah..Rage. lol
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 03:10:17 pm »
I wonder if any of the 'WHY NOT MARRY A TREE, HERPDERP!!' people realize that there are several people in the world who have indeed married inanimate objects (one woman quite famously married the Eiffel Tower)? It's hardly the norm and raises eyebrows wherever it happens, but the point is it HAPPENS.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 03:43:37 pm »
I wonder if any of the 'WHY NOT MARRY A TREE, HERPDERP!!' people realize that there are several people in the world who have indeed married inanimate objects (one woman quite famously married the Eiffel Tower)? It's hardly the norm and raises eyebrows wherever it happens, but the point is it HAPPENS.

Yet, the idea of two consenting adults of the same gender getting married is forbidden. I mean, come on...it's..Icky. Unless it's two women, then it's hot.

Wow...that last part was a bit painful to type, but you definitely encounter these people too. The ones who are so adamant that homosexual marriage is against God and that it would lead to our destruction as a society, yet will comment in loud and crude fashions about how hot it is if they see two girls making out in a bar.

Essentially, men can't marry men because that sex is gross. Women kissing and doing things to each other is hot. It's neanderthal-like thinking. They write one off as disgusting and sexualize the other, and hide it behind God.

Behold. The Republican Frat Boy.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 03:52:45 pm »
I've actually encountered a lot more of those people than probably make up the actual percentage in the homophobe population--'guy on guy is wrong, girl on girl is okay!' I thought it was a parody until I met people who actually thought that. At least across-the-board homophobes are consistent about their hate. They're still hateful assbiscuits, but they're not hypocrites (at least not with regard to that).

'Republican fratboy' is a pretty good descriptive term.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 04:45:48 pm »

Let's not forget this woman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »
I think the reason people who scream left and right "MEN KISSING IS GROSS!" then turn around and go "Damn two girls going at it is hot" secretly fantasize about being the one to "turn" the two lesbians.  I mean, it is hot to see two fine looking birds mashing their lady parts together but for some people, it's the fact they want to get involved is what is so turning on.  And then again, Woman laying with woman as with man is not forbidden in the bible so it's not hard-coded into these people like man on man sex is.

Ironbite-it's...interesting.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 05:54:16 pm »
I think the reason people who scream left and right "MEN KISSING IS GROSS!" then turn around and go "Damn two girls going at it is hot" secretly fantasize about being the one to "turn" the two lesbians.  I mean, it is hot to see two fine looking birds mashing their lady parts together but for some people, it's the fact they want to get involved is what is so turning on.  And then again, Woman laying with woman as with man is not forbidden in the bible so it's not hard-coded into these people like man on man sex is.

Ironbite-it's...interesting.

I knew a guy like this on another forum. He was in the U.S. Army and supported DADT. He said that DADT was to "protect" gay people in the military. That's why they weren't allowed to disclose their sexual orientation - because it was to "protect" them (probably from homophobes like the guy who held that opinion).

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »
I've actually seen some fundies explicitly say that female-on-female sex is perfectly okay* by God, it's male-on-male sex that is explicitly forbidden.

*Okay as in "it pleases men, which is what women are supposed to do"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2012, 06:26:01 pm »
I've actually seen some fundies explicitly say that female-on-female sex is perfectly okay* by God, it's male-on-male sex that is explicitly forbidden.

To be fair, Leviticus only said men laying with men was forbidden. It didn't say anything about women lying with women.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2012, 06:29:05 pm »

To be fair, Leviticus only said men laying with men was forbidden. It didn't say anything about women lying with women.

Ah, but depending on how you read Leviticus, it might actually allow you to lie with either sex, providing you aren't having anal with women.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »

Ah, but depending on how you read Leviticus, it might actually allow you to lie with either sex, providing you aren't having anal with women.

But then they'd just say "the sin of Sodom", which is vague because Sodom's sins wasn't about butt fucking. It's funny how they seem to only know  exactly one passage from Leviticus.

I have gotten "Have you ever tried to be straight". Yes I have actually. It only made things worse.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:44:11 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2012, 07:54:28 pm »

But then they'd just say "the sin of Sodom", which vague because Sodom's sins wasn't about butt fucking. It's funny how they seem to only know  exactly one passage from Leviticus.

I have gotten "Have you ever tried to be straight". Yes I have actually. It only made things worse.

When I told my mom I was bi, the first thing she asked me was, "Are you really bi, or do you just like the female body? Because you can still like the female body without being attracted to it..."

What did she think I meant?

She's actually a very tolerant and liberal person though. So she was mostly like "Okay, wanna watch some TV with me?"