Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you hate?  (Read 73613 times)

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
Re: What are some religious phrases you hate?
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:57 am »
"God works in mysterious ways" can be used in two annoying ways.

1 - To hand wave away the issue of a supposedly just god allowing bad things to happen to good people.  It's one part condescension (There's an implied "You're just too stupid to understand."), and one part dodging the question and claiming victory.

2 - When arguing for YEC or any other religious myth they're trying to pass off as science.  It you're at all knowledgeable about science, and are a decent debater, their pseudoscience won't stand.  Rather than admit they're wrong, they'll just pull the plug on their argument and use that line like it's an instant win button.

Either way, saying "God works in mysterious ways" is a fundie way of admitting defeat without actually admitting defeat.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »
Santorum said this but I've seen it so many times by other fundies that I just want the phrase to die in the corner:
You may rationalize that that isn't true, but in your own life and in your own heart, you know it's true.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 11:43:47 am »
I can do that!....I think your right, but I'll go a step farther, I think we should be able to not only opt out of the financial burden but parents should have the right to kill their children at any age without retribution. I mean if were all 100% for a mothers right to kill a baby, and your advocating the fathers right not to be burdened with this responsibility, I think he should have the right to kill his child too, at any age, as soon as that baby comes out its fair game and he should be able to stick one of those metal straws in the back of its skull and suck its brains out.......I can only imagine a world that takes so little stock in the value of life, buts its your perfect world I imagine........I would imagine the killing of babies not be the only place this society would find a need to eliminate people, I would imagine mentally challanged would be next, as they appear to be a financial burden on everyone, then as soon as an old person could nolonger greet people at Walmart they would be sent to the exit program, probably a well designed retirement facility that would help them exit our world in a quick mannor

This argument, and any variation of it, can go fuck itself in the ass with a cactus that has rusted nails imbedded in it until it's shove so far in that it comes out of its mouth.  This includes the "Pro-choicers/deathers should be applauding this" and "She was just practicing her right to choose" comments you find in news stories where a child dies, especially if they're murdered by a parent.

Anti-choicers and forced birthers think this straw argument holds water even though it's been refuted almost every time it pops up.  It's like the "I guess the homo-advocates are just fine with people marrying animals and children" argument.  It's a reasonable argument for them because that's how they seriously view the world, even though the actual position that they're arguing against has refuted it time and again with specific reasons why the argument doesn't work.  This argument even ignores the fact that many pro-choicers are against late term abortions where the fetus is viable, except for for extreme case like health risks.

Come to think of it, what makes this argument especially ironic is that while these pro-lifers believe that pro-choicers would have no problem killing actual born children, there are those among them who have no problem with grown women dying by being forced to carry fetuses that their bodies are incapable of carrying without great risk.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
Ah the slippery slope fallacy.  Fundies take this to such ridiculous extremes that it's not funny.

-People being more open minded and questioning Christianity = Christians being a persecuted minority.
-Not beating your kids when they misbehave = letting them run wild and kill people.
-Allowing gay marriage = being able to marry goats. 

A couple more I hate.

"I'm not judging you, god is": Bullshit, you're judging me by speaking on god's behalf.
"Out of the mouth the heart speaks" (some bible verse): Used when ever someone gets angry at Christians to try to villainize non believers.  It's just more pretentious Christspeak. 

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »
Virtually every religious phrase pisses me off. Being a DSc in Theology since 1949, I believe I've heard more than my fair share of this verbal diarrhoea, enough of which to fill the Indian Ocean.
Christianity must be the most bullshit of all manufactured religions, relying totally on plagiarised legends of previous cultures and changing the names to suit, finally coming out as the KJV written by a homosexual monarch under duress from his domineering mother forcing him to add her phobias.
Man is a curious animal. He cannot make a worm, yet be creating gods by dozens.

Offline calee022

• Rebel Without a Point
  • Apprentice
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »
I attend meetings of a "12 Step Group". 99.9999% of the people there are religious, generally christians. 99.9% of the 99.9999% are perfectly able to accept that I am not in any way shape or form religious. It annoys the crap out of me when one of remaining .0999% of them, KNOWING that I am Atheist, tries to "help" me because they just KNOW that I am "struggling with the "god part of the program"".

Although the look on their faces when I say, "Oh no, I'm not struggling with it at all" can at times be priceless.

And the reaction from the person who suggested that "it wouldn't hurt to pray" when I suggested that it "wouldn't hurt for you to face Mecca and pray to Allah 5 times a day" was even better... If looks could maim, you'd be wheeling me around in a shopping cart.
"I have an important message to deliver to all the cute people all over the world. If you're out there and you're cute, maybe you're beautiful. I just want to tell you somethin' — there's more of us UGLY MOTHERFUCKERS than you, hey-y, so watch out."  - FZ

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »
I don't really hate this one, per se, but it makes me wonder why religious people say it--obviously, they do so without really thinking about what it MEANS.

"IT TAKES WAY MORE FAITH TO BE AN ATHEIST/TRUST SCIENCE/BELIEVE EVOLUTION THAN IT DOES TO BELIEVE IN GOD!!"

...does it? So is that your way of saying that atheists have way, way more faith than your religious denomination? Isn't having tons of faith a GOOD thing, what all of you strive for? Those of us who don't give half a rat turd about faith actually succeed at it much better and with way less effort than you do?

Logic fail.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2012, 08:48:35 pm »
I attend meetings of a "12 Step Group". 99.9999% of the people there are religious, generally christians. 99.9% of the 99.9999% are perfectly able to accept that I am not in any way shape or form religious. It annoys the crap out of me when one of remaining .0999% of them, KNOWING that I am Atheist, tries to "help" me because they just KNOW that I am "struggling with the "god part of the program"".

Although the look on their faces when I say, "Oh no, I'm not struggling with it at all" can at times be priceless.

And the reaction from the person who suggested that "it wouldn't hurt to pray" when I suggested that it "wouldn't hurt for you to face Mecca and pray to Allah 5 times a day" was even better... If looks could maim, you'd be wheeling me around in a shopping cart.

Were you forced to attend? 12-step always kinda bothered me...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline calee022

• Rebel Without a Point
  • Apprentice
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2012, 08:56:52 pm »

Were you forced to attend? 12-step always kinda bothered me...

No, I go because it is the best way for me to keep clean and sober.
"I have an important message to deliver to all the cute people all over the world. If you're out there and you're cute, maybe you're beautiful. I just want to tell you somethin' — there's more of us UGLY MOTHERFUCKERS than you, hey-y, so watch out."  - FZ

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »
There really need to be more non-religious 12-step alternatives.  The idea of having a group of people to talk to is a good one.  There should be options for atheists and the like, though.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:45 am »
the one i hate the most is the one my dad uses on me all the time.  "Everything needs a Creator Even your God and Goddess"  He dose not seem to see the contradiction in that comment..

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2012, 05:33:41 am »
You know how I griped about how saying you'll pray for someone is just an easy way to get out of actually helping? I was reminded by this:

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline calee022

• Rebel Without a Point
  • Apprentice
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2012, 08:33:45 am »
There really need to be more non-religious 12-step alternatives.  The idea of having a group of people to talk to is a good one.  There should be options for atheists and the like, though.

It would be nice...

I will say that things have changed in the last 25 years. I had 6 years clean in AA back then, and the intolerance was staggering. I ended up leaving because of it. Now I rarely encounter people who are truly scornful of my lack of religious beliefs, and when I do I take childish glee in tormenting them.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 02:53:53 pm »
This is a loved car decal:

Real men love Jesus

* gyeonghwa smash
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:17:07 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »
"God works in mysterious ways" can be used in two annoying ways.

You know, I don't think I've ever heard that phrase used in a non-annoying way. It's basically saying, "I don't know the answer, but I'm too stubborn to admit it."

I will say that things have changed in the last 25 years. I had 6 years clean in AA back then, and the intolerance was staggering. I ended up leaving because of it. Now I rarely encounter people who are truly scornful of my lack of religious beliefs, and when I do I take childish glee in tormenting them.

Congrats on all of your progress, Calee! It sounds like you've come a long way since you first posted about going into detox. :)
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)