Author Topic: Popenator: Child abuse now illegal in Vatican City  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Popenator: Child abuse now illegal in Vatican City
« on: July 11, 2013, 05:58:23 pm »
Because, apparently that 1) has to be spelled out explicitly, despite already being "illegal" by RCC law, and b) somehow isn't fucking obvious that you shouldn't so much as look at children sexually.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/11/world/europe/vatican-child-abuse/index.html?sr=reddit
"For the Vatican's image, this is a successful move. For children's safety, this is another setback ... because it will help foster the false impression of reform and will lead to more complacency," said SNAP director David Clohessy in a written statement. "The church hierarchy doesn't need new rules on abuse. It needs to follow long-established secular laws on abuse. And it needs to push for, not oppose, real reforms to archaic, predator-friendly secular laws (like the statute of limitations)."
Meanwhile, nothing of consequence is actually being done to stop/punish God's Rapists. Good on you Francis, for being completely worthless to everyone.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
Re: Popenator: Child abuse now illegal in Vatican City
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:34:04 pm »
I doubt this will change anything.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:48:22 pm »
I find it more troubling that it wasn't already illegal.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:06:08 pm »
Bergoglio certainly has elevated the useless gesture into an artform, but this case seems somewhat different. This appears to be a general updating of the laws of the Vatican.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:37:55 pm »
Updating the law is pointless if you don't enforce it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

wrightway

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:39:50 pm »
Maybe this will encourage them to enforce it?

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50:27 pm »
Funny that the Vatican saw no need for laws against child abuse, yet abortion is illegal there.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:54:54 pm »

Of course, but I suspect it's mostly irrelevant either way. This is a law that applies in the Vatican only, which has a population of less than a thousand people, probably zero of which are children. Lack of prosecution for the abuse that takes place inside Vatican City was never the problem, but rather priests molesting children all around the world and the Church covering it up.
Σא

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 03:16:25 am »
Too bad there was no law against covering up child abuse.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:25:23 am »

Of course, but I suspect it's mostly irrelevant either way. This is a law that applies in the Vatican only, which has a population of less than a thousand people, probably zero of which are children. Lack of prosecution for the abuse that takes place inside Vatican City was never the problem, but rather priests molesting children all around the world and the Church covering it up.
There's nothing really they can do about the individual priests. They can stop covering it up, and I would like that, but let's be honest, the current stable of priests is destined to be fucked up. Many priests became priests because they were gay, trans, paedos, or one of the other groups that would have been burnt alive when they joined the priesthood.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 08:38:44 am »
I don't have the statistics right now, but from what I remember, priests aren't that much more likely to be paedophiles than any other occupation with easy access to children. The major part of the problem has always been the shuffling around and covering up, which is entirely in the Church's power to fix.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:49 am »

There's nothing really they can do about the individual priests. They can stop covering it up, and I would like that, but let's be honest, the current stable of priests is destined to be fucked up. Many priests became priests because they were gay, trans, paedos, or one of the other groups that would have been burnt alive when they joined the priesthood.

While you can't stop a predator from preying, you can stop the cover-ups.  And that's what's got people up in arms.  The Church honestly believes itself to be some sort of major power in the world when in reality, nobody really cares.  They just wish they were a bit more Christ like and less greedy.

Ironbite-but they have the power and they will never change.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »
Not that I care all that much for the RCC, but the only truly effective means of ridding the church of child predators is for the normal priests, nuns, monks, school teachers, etc. on the local levels to seek-and-destroy any pederasts they already know about, and regularly check in with random altar boys, choir members, students, etc. during confession and teacher/student meetings to monitor for any hidden pedos left.

Fuck the hierarchy, all the way up to Rome. Stop playing church politics. If the higher-ups are hiding and reassigning pedos, they are in fact at least pedos-by-proxy, and no doubt a lot of higher-ups are actual pedos. It needs to be about local police getting anonymous tips from the lower level church clergy, consecrated religious (nuns, monks), and teachers in parochial schools.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 12:12:54 pm »
Not that I care all that much for the RCC, but the only truly effective means of ridding the church of child predators is for the normal priests, nuns, monks, school teachers, etc. on the local levels to seek-and-destroy any pederasts they already know about, and regularly check in with random altar boys, choir members, students, etc. during confession and teacher/student meetings to monitor for any hidden pedos left.

Fuck the hierarchy, all the way up to Rome. Stop playing church politics. If the higher-ups are hiding and reassigning pedos, they are in fact at least pedos-by-proxy, and no doubt a lot of higher-ups are actual pedos. It needs to be about local police getting anonymous tips from the lower level church clergy, consecrated religious (nuns, monks), and teachers in parochial schools.
I've always thought public crucifixion in Vatican Square might be a nice deterrent. But I kinda have this no-strikes thing for rapists and religious leaders.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.