Author Topic: 7th level WTF moments in Oregon  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
7th level WTF moments in Oregon
« on: June 22, 2019, 01:57:43 pm »
For those of you who haven't been paying attention to this a short recap:

Democrats were about to pass a legislation to improve enviromental protection laws in the state and after running out of tricks to slow it down the GOP decided to prevent the final vote thingy by simply going hiding. One of them even told the police that they better send bachelors after him because he will MURDER any police officer that tries to force him to do his job.

Now as the latest form of insanity, the local militias have announced that they'll do ANYTHING to help protect these politicians.

So USA may see a rebellion by GOP politicians and armed insurgents who don't want laws to restrict pollution in their state?

I knew that Trump was making politics more childish in USA but this is the weirdest tantrum that I've seen so far.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/armed-militias-pledge-to-fight-for-fugitive-oregon-gop-lawmakers-at-any-cost
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: 7th level WTF moments in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 02:12:15 pm »
Funny that we have armed, dangerous militias that nobody does anything about.  Not "haha" funny, but more "how the fuck have they managed to stay out of prison" funny.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 02:38:10 pm »
Due to a comment from elsewhere: Isn't this technically a civil war? Several of the lawmakers have fled and have publicly announced that they will use violence to fight against the democratically chosen government and prevent it from functioning and now paramilitary troops have rallied to their cause and announced that they will fight the lawfully elected government.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 03:10:44 pm »
The beauty of this is Trump won't do anything to stop it.
I say fuck it. If they don't want to do their job than well do the job without them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:20:15 pm by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 03:28:52 pm »
Legally they can't because they don't have a quarom in order to actually pass legislation.

Ironbite-meaning you have to have members of the minority in order to conduct business.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 03:38:36 pm »
I have to wonder exactly where that quorum is specified.

Because US Senate Republicans already set the precedent for suspending quorum rules, at least in committee, when Democrats were stalling some of Trump's Cabinet nominees by voting to suspend quorum rules (one of the few things you can do without a quorum), and then advancing the nominees out of committee. Can't do that on the floor, though, I think.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 04:09:55 pm »
State Government might be a bit different.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 09:53:34 pm »
if a regular person threatened murder to avoid their adult responsibilities they'd be involuntarily commited and/or taken in for questioning.

but when politicians do it...

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 09:58:40 pm »
The "right" to take steaming dumps all over the Earth really is a point of pride among right wingers, sure it originated with corporate chicanery but now it's reached a level where they're threatening to shoot cops to defend their right to take big steaming dumps on the Earth's future. Anything to "trigger day libz" I guess.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 01:22:13 am »
The "right" to take steaming dumps all over the Earth really is a point of pride among right wingers, sure it originated with corporate chicanery but now it's reached a level where they're threatening to shoot cops to defend their right to take big steaming dumps on the Earth's future. Anything to "trigger day libz" I guess.

More like anything to keep the fat fossil fuel company campaign donation cheques coming.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 05:55:49 pm »
How is this simply not treason?

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 01:12:38 am »

Because US Senate Republicans already set the precedent for suspending quorum rules, at least in committee, when Democrats were stalling some of Trump's Cabinet nominees by voting to suspend quorum rules (one of the few things you can do without a quorum), and then advancing the nominees out of committee. Can't do that on the floor, though, I think.

From my understanding, the Oregon state constitution states what is required for a quorum, which requires two more members than all the Dems.  The US Constitution states that a quorum is required for passing laws, but doesn't define how many Senators make up a quorum, so the Senate can define a quorum as whatever they want.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 09:12:04 am »
And of course the Trump-fanclub is openly demanding violence and giving their support to the rebels: https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2019/06/24/A-pro-Trump-subreddit-is-full-of-calls-for-violence-in-support-of-Oregon-Republicans/224018

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 02:16:14 pm »
The funny thing is this isn't bigger news. I see this posted no where on any of the main three news sites. You would think actions leading to a possible civil war would receive much more attention.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 02:54:18 pm »

From my understanding, the Oregon state constitution states what is required for a quorum, which requires two more members than all the Dems.  The US Constitution states that a quorum is required for passing laws, but doesn't define how many Senators make up a quorum, so the Senate can define a quorum as whatever they want.

The US Constitution (Art. 1, Sec. 5, Clause 1) specifically requires that a quorum is a majority of members, for either house.

Oregon requires two-thirds, but also allows the legislature, without a quorum, to compel the attendance of absent members. Presumably it's under this power that the legislature requested that the Governor force the Republican legislators to return to work.

(And yes, state Democrats are two members short of a quorum in either house: 18-11 in the State Senate, with one vacancy after a Republican died in office, and 38-22 in the State House.)