Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1649759 times)

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #2040 on: February 24, 2013, 10:37:03 am »
I doubt it.  These are probably actual arguments he's heard.

Here's more of the same.

Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2041 on: February 24, 2013, 11:06:06 am »
Well, I see nothing wrong with 6, 5 and 1. That is someone can say those staments and not be lying.

The second comic though makes several good points. I mean it brings up several BAD points that people use.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2042 on: February 24, 2013, 11:16:25 am »
I agree with your comment on the racism cartoon, askold, but a corolary (sp?) to 5 should be that you should be willing to examine your actions and thoughts when someone points out that something you say or do is UNintentionally racist.

But then, that wouldn't fit in a cartoon panel.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2043 on: February 24, 2013, 11:31:13 am »
Well, I see nothing wrong with 6, 5 and 1. That is someone can say those staments and not be lying.

The second comic though makes several good points. I mean it brings up several BAD points that people use.

Of course, those are often used by people trying to justify their racism, whether intentional or not.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2044 on: February 24, 2013, 12:52:50 pm »
R.U.Sirius: Good point.

DD: Another good point, I agree with that. Although the sentences in themselves aren't all bad.

Also about number 10. This is sligthy off but there is one similar claim that I absolutely hate. Some racist actually refer to it as "slaveship-tar-argument." When justifying why everyone should be donating money to Africa people say it is because our ancestor have mistreated and slaved africans, except that since Finns didn't participate in slavery (enslaving africans that is.) in fact our country didn't exist. Instead their claim is based on the fact that as part of Sweden our ancestors shipped most of the tar used in european ships. Therefore the ships that took slaves from africa had 'Finnish' tar and THAT is why we should help africa.

a) Shouldn't we help them because there are people who need help, and helping them is a nice thing. Christian thing even if you are into that.

b) I accept consequences for my own anctions and will try to make right if I did some wrongs. I feel shame for the wrongs done by my country and agree that Finland as a country should make right the wrongs she has done. I will even accept the argument that I bear some responsibility to compensate for crimes my ancestors have done. But this is taking thigns too far.

c) In general I hate the argument that all white people are somehow responsible for crimes done by other white people. I mean if someone claims that because one member of ethnic group A is a drug dealer they all must be then people would agree that this is racit.

If someone would claim that since members of ethnic group A are statisically more likely to go to jail, then they should all be suspected as criminals untill proven otherwise, wouldn't you agree that this is racist.

I just think that this claim is similar.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #2045 on: February 24, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »

DD: Another good point, I agree with that. Although the sentences in themselves aren't all bad.

Also about number 10. This is sligthy off but there is one similar claim that I absolutely hate. Some racist actually refer to it as "slaveship-tar-argument." When justifying why everyone should be donating money to Africa people say it is because our ancestor have mistreated and slaved africans, except that since Finns didn't participate in slavery (enslaving africans that is.) in fact our country didn't exist. Instead their claim is based on the fact that as part of Sweden our ancestors shipped most of the tar used in european ships. Therefore the ships that took slaves from africa had 'Finnish' tar and THAT is why we should help africa.

a) Shouldn't we help them because there are people who need help, and helping them is a nice thing. Christian thing even if you are into that.

b) I accept consequences for my own anctions and will try to make right if I did some wrongs. I feel shame for the wrongs done by my country and agree that Finland as a country should make right the wrongs she has done. I will even accept the argument that I bear some responsibility to compensate for crimes my ancestors have done. But this is taking thigns too far.

c) In general I hate the argument that all white people are somehow responsible for crimes done by other white people. I mean if someone claims that because one member of ethnic group A is a drug dealer they all must be then people would agree that this is racit.

If someone would claim that since members of ethnic group A are statisically more likely to go to jail, then they should all be suspected as criminals untill proven otherwise, wouldn't you agree that this is racist.

I don't hold anyone alive today responsible for atrocities that happened in the long past.  But I agree that we should help people because they need help.  If they're still suffering from the injustices of the past, we should try to correct that, not because we had anything to do with it, but because it's the right thing to do.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2046 on: February 24, 2013, 01:48:43 pm »

I don't hold anyone alive today responsible for atrocities that happened in the long past.  But I agree that we should help people because they need help.  If they're still suffering from the injustices of the past, we should try to correct that, not because we had anything to do with it, but because it's the right thing to do.
This although the thing is oftentimes the white people who came after still benefit also whites who came after slavery still perpetuated Jim Crow

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2047 on: February 24, 2013, 05:50:24 pm »
I put it under spoilers because of its size.

(click to show/hide)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2048 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:08 pm »
I put it under spoilers because of its size.

(click to show/hide)
Law eagles are the greatest thing ever.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2049 on: February 24, 2013, 08:09:06 pm »
Okay, while I agree that the term "friendzone" is overused as fuck and often a euphemism for "I can't get a girl to sleep with me to save my life", I think that those who come down this hard against it often go to the opposite extreme.

All other issues aside, it's frustrating and painful when you develop feelings for someone, especially a friend, only to be told that your feelings aren't returned, and I feel that "anti-FZers" often end up communicating the message that it's wrong to even be disappointed by such things.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #2050 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:39 pm »
It seems like the bulk of the people who use the term 'friendzone' at all don't understand one single simple fact:

The only reason a girl or woman ever needs to have for not wanting to date or have sex with someone is, 'I DON'T WANT TO.' This applies to guys, as well. If you don't want to, you don't want to, and you don't owe anybody an explanation unless you feel like giving them one.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2051 on: February 24, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »
I dislike that the friendzone asshole is portrayed as a Brony. Nerds in general; be they Whovians, Trekkies, Marvel Zombies, DC Nationals, or Bronies; have the tendency to fall in to the "nice guy" asshole trap. I just think bronies get more tarred with one big brush than any of those other groups.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #2052 on: February 24, 2013, 11:06:54 pm »
There's one MLP reference in a single panel.  He's also a Sonic the Hedgehog fan and... a Linux nerd?  Whatever the fedora's supposed to represent.  I think he was more meant to be a generic nerd.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2053 on: February 24, 2013, 11:20:41 pm »
There's one MLP reference in a single panel.  He's also a Sonic the Hedgehog fan and... a Linux nerd?  Whatever the fedora's supposed to represent.  I think he was more meant to be a generic nerd.

Well, now I look like an asshole. I didn't examine the hat except for when I saw there was writing on it.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #2054 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:46 am »
Eh, we've all shot off our mouth a bit too quick at one time or other.