Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511059 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2175 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:23 pm »
I wonder what they'd say if it still had the same graphics and physics engines of the early 2000s Thief games. Probably be complaining about it being old and boring.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2176 on: April 02, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »
Dungeon Fighter Online and Digimon Battle are closing this month.

Saturn500

« Reply #2177 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:06 pm »
Apparently, the XBLA version of the former WON'T be closing down.

Speaking of the Xbox 360, I've imported a copy of Ginga Force, and it set me back almost $90! Hooray for Weird Currency Shit!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:36:37 pm by Saturn500 »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2178 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:25 pm »
I think a lot of the "Old games used to be hardcore!" stuff comes from the difficulties with playing them. Games have been constantly evolving, and the 90s had a lot of games that did things similar to what modern games do, but much less streamlined.

In a way, that's kind of a good point.

In a hilarious bit of hypocrisy, I notice that a lot of the whining about Skyrim's new Legendary difficulty mode is that it's "artificial difficulty."  (Psst.  It's noti.)

People are saying Skyrim's overall not as hard as Morrowind.  Guess what made Morrowind hard?  LEGITIMATE artificial difficulty.

Same for Arena and Daggerfall.  Same for most of the NES games.  Artificial difficulty.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:06:49 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2179 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »
I think a lot of the "Old games used to be hardcore!" stuff comes from the difficulties with playing them. Games have been constantly evolving, and the 90s had a lot of games that did things similar to what modern games do, but much less streamlined.

In a hilarious bit of hypocrisy, I notice that a lot of the whining about Skyrim's new Legendary difficulty mode is that it's "artificial difficulty."

People are saying it's not as hard as Morrowind.  Guess what made Morrowind hard?  LEGITIMATE artificial difficulty.

Same for Arena and Daggerfall.  Same for most of the NES games.  Artificial difficulty.

Oh God, yes. There's a reason it's called "Nintendo Hard" on TV Tropes, and why the trope pages related to artificial difficulty list so many classics.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2180 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »
Dungeon Fighter Online and Digimon Battle are closing this month.

I couldn't care less about the latter.

The former, however... dammit.  I was kinda hoping we'd get to see the Female Slayer on western shores, and eventually other features as well.

Well, so much for that...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2181 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:58 am »
Ever since the announcement of Might & Magic X I've finally got around to playing the previous titles. they focus more on feeling powerful and slaughtering entire dungeons rather than dialogue but they are fun as fuck, especially in the 8th title when you can decide to break the game and hire dragons into your party.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #2182 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:32 am »
Dear Lagiacrus,

I hate you so damn much and when I capture you, it will be the first and last time.

Your enemy,

-Mechtaur.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2183 on: April 03, 2013, 08:52:09 am »

In a hilarious bit of hypocrisy, I notice that a lot of the whining about Skyrim's new Legendary difficulty mode is that it's "artificial difficulty."  (Psst.  It's noti.)

People are saying Skyrim's overall not as hard as Morrowind.  Guess what made Morrowind hard?  LEGITIMATE artificial difficulty.

Agame with artificial difficulty is Boarderlands multiplayer (the enemies just take more hits to kill nothing more )

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2184 on: April 03, 2013, 01:46:36 pm »

Agame with artificial difficulty is Boarderlands multiplayer (the enemies just take more hits to kill nothing more )

I don't really consider that artificial difficulty necessarily.  More like "Make it so that multiplayer doesn't make the game easier than piss."  Diablo II, a game that's lumped in with Morrowind for having a lot of nostalgic fanboys, had that same effect, and no one ever complained about it having artificial difficulty (at least not without being laughed off of every message board they were on)

In Skyrim, raising the difficulty decreases the damage you do and increases the damage you take.  And while that can be artificial difficulty at times, Legendary is a large enough leap that it actually forces you to play more carefully.  We're talking about a high level character with defense capped getting two-shotted by bandits.

Saturn500

« Reply #2185 on: April 03, 2013, 06:02:51 pm »
You know what RPG series has stuff in addition to artificial difficulty? Ys! Not only do bosses hit harder, among other things, but their attack patterns are harder to dodge!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2186 on: April 03, 2013, 06:36:36 pm »
So I preorderd Pokemon X and Y today as well as picking up Bioshock Infinate and I am currently installing the game as I type this.

Distind

« Reply #2187 on: April 03, 2013, 08:35:42 pm »
So I preorderd Pokemon X and Y today as well as picking up Bioshock Infinate and I am currently installing the game as I type this.
Damned nostalgia is tempting me into this gen of pokemon. Just something utterly mindless to fritter away time without needing to be a twitch game, sounds really nice.

Trancedence is filling the gap at the moment, and doing a bang up job for a free game:
http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/index.html

Site needs to be updated more, but it's like an escape velocity game that sucks less, and is interesting.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2188 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:02 pm »
So after deleting a metric shit ton of saves, I finally got Skyrim to stop freezing on me and am now enjoying the Dragonborn dlc again.  There's one spot on the east end of the island where you can actually see Red Mountain in the distance with smoke bellowing out of it.  When I first noticed it, there were even some Netch floating around in front of me.

Also, I beat the Bioshock Infinite.  Holy shit...  Game of the Year right there.  Seriously.  I missed a couple, but I even went out of my way to get as many audio recordings and stuff as I could find.  The backstory, the art, the plot, everything was just epic.

MAJOR SPOILERS
(click to show/hide)
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2189 on: April 03, 2013, 10:51:35 pm »
I made a scenic ride:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khILrWoeyn8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khILrWoeyn8</a>

Still have no idea how to control rail speed, as there doesn't seem to be a way to slow it down besides going uphill.