Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510844 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2640 on: June 12, 2013, 11:57:00 am »
Frankly, I'm damn excited for the Battlefield 4 multiplayer. I don't give two shits about the single player (if it's anything like the previous game, it'll be a lot of cliches and setpieces that I can't be arsed to care about), but we need more good, large-scale multiplayer. War games always seem to have problems getting the large and small stuff to mesh together: small scale stuff like Call of Duty gets in a lot of detail in the infantry work and close combat, but tends to either keep things small or feels awkward when they try to have you play at a very large scale, while large scale stuff like ARMA works well for long range fighting and heavy vehicle usage, but feels underwhelming and clunky up close and tends to lack a lot of detail due to making areas so large.

This seems to actually be nailing the idea of a very large scale fight and allowing for the individual soldier to have a highly immersive and detailed experience simultaneously.

I also found out that BOTH PC and console are going to have 64 player multiplayer.  I cannot WAIT to play on that ridiculous of a large scale.  And in my opinion, Battlefield has always been the closest with maintaining a large scale feel while having a great individual experience, but it does look like they finally truly nailed it with Battlefield 4.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2641 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:10 pm »
My in-laws got me a Steam gift card for my birthday. I've already bought one game, but am considering a few more. Specifically, KotOR II.

I played KotOR II on the original Xbox. The game was confusing, and the ending was... well... It left a really horrible taste in my mouth, and I have never been able to bring myself to play it again. Several years later, I learned about the deleted content, and that there are mods that add that content back in (making the game a lot better).

Does anyone have a recommendation? Should I buy KotOR II, get the mods, and have another go at it?
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2642 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:25 pm »
If you don't already have it I recommend Civilization V and bolth of its expansions Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2643 on: June 12, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »
I actually quite enjoyed the vanilla KotOr II, but I've heard the the mod that puts that content back in actually complements the game pretty well. The game shouldn't be too much on steam so I say go for it.

Distind

« Reply #2644 on: June 12, 2013, 01:44:33 pm »
If you don't already have it I recommend Civilization V and bolth of its expansions Gods & Kings and Brave New World.
I'm very nearly vibrating in anticipation of international trade returning to Civ. It's pretty much the only reason other than getting stomped to avoid war and I missed it so much.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2645 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:46 pm »
Holy shit you guys
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHgUuhOsHoA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHgUuhOsHoA</a>

You see the character busting out of that giant statues shield? apparently that could be any player character if you play online.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2646 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »
So, last night, I was playing through the campaign in the original StarCraft. In the sixth Terran mission, you have to get two Dropships, one of which contains Raynor, to a crashed ship. The problem is that between you and the ship is a shitload of Spore Colonies, it's on a cliff, and you don't have anything heavier than a Goliath. The official walkthrough said to fight my way through a Zerg-filled map to take the back route.

I said "fuck that shit".

My solution? Build 9 Engineering Bays and send them in ahead of my dropships to draw all the AA fire. Engineering Bays are slow as hell, and have no attacks, but they have 850 hit points and cost only 125 minerals. Perfect cannon fodder.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2647 on: June 13, 2013, 01:51:36 am »
I suddenly feel like playing Dwarf Fortress again. Largely because I want to tame polar bears and turn them into weapons of war. I just hope I can remember how to navigate that asshole of an interface.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2648 on: June 13, 2013, 02:51:18 am »
I suddenly feel like playing Dwarf Fortress again. Largely because I want to tame polar bears and turn them into weapons of war. I just hope I can remember how to navigate that asshole of an interface.

I always wanted to get into Dwart Fortress. I really did. It's the interface that's simply so user-unfriendly. Not just user-unfriendly, but kicks-the-user-in-the-gonads-steals-their-dog-and-pisses-in-the-mailbox-on-the-way-out unfriendly.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2649 on: June 13, 2013, 03:08:10 am »

I always wanted to get into Dwart Fortress. I really did. It's the interface that's simply so user-unfriendly. Not just user-unfriendly, but kicks-the-user-in-the-gonads-steals-their-dog-and-pisses-in-the-mailbox-on-the-way-out unfriendly.

The way I learned is watch a Let's Play first to see it in action so you know what to expect. Then when playing, be prepared to not only spend 10 minutes at a time with the game paused just leafing through the various commands, but also frequently be tabbing out to check the wiki. It's a royal pain in the ass at first, but it's worth it once you have a basic grasp of things. That and using the Lazy Newb Pack to turn off aquifers saves you a lot of bullshit, at least while you're still learning the ropes.

Also, Dwarf Therapist. Never ever ever play without Dwarf Therapist if you value your sanity.

Distind

« Reply #2650 on: June 13, 2013, 06:10:54 am »
Not to mention the lazy newb key binds. Those are awesome. No more needing the shift key just to move up and down levels.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2651 on: June 13, 2013, 06:38:24 am »
Now there's a dead donkey just rotting in my dining room, and nobody seems willing to take it outside where it won't stink the place up. Ah well, if miasma breaks out, don't come crying to me about it.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2652 on: June 13, 2013, 11:05:22 am »
Now there's a dead donkey just rotting in my dining room, and nobody seems willing to take it outside where it won't stink the place up. Ah well, if miasma breaks out, don't come crying to me about it.

Did you build a refuse storage pile or mark it for dumping?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2653 on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:13 am »

Did you build a refuse storage pile or mark it for dumping?

I do indeed have a refuse pile. Earlier on, a Yak did the exact same thing, and someone did manage to haul it outside, so it should happen eventually. It's just taking quite a while for someone to get around to it.

Distind

« Reply #2654 on: June 13, 2013, 01:29:52 pm »
Check tags, make sure there's room.... make a  garbargedwarf? I've considered that lately.