Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507723 times)

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2925 on: July 26, 2013, 04:44:07 am »
I started playing Fallout 3 a few days ago after I got in the sale (interesting that none of the infamous crashes or glitches are happening to me even though I running it in windows 7).  I ended up killing the Overseer and pissing off the girl who was going to come with me ( I think).  First town I come to looks like a ragged metal death trap, said sheriff of that town bites it cause I told him about the charming maniac in the bar wanting to blow the place, I then proceed to kill said maniac.

Get told to take some letter to a broken ass "town" on top of a bridge, get accosted by radioactive giant lobsters getting there, wasting all my ammo in the process.  I then get told to go save someone and have only the slightest of clues of a location to go on.  I then get shot to death by people hiding out in a ruined house trying to walk back to the metal death trap to buy ammo.

Something else I found out today is that someone used one of my videos for their article on a gaming dutch site.  Guess I should be flattered?  Have no idea what they're saying either.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2926 on: July 26, 2013, 06:30:06 am »
(interesting that none of the infamous crashes or glitches are happening to me even though I running it in windows 7)

Trust me, they'll come. Modding can make it worse if you don't pick them carefully (it's easy to shove incompatible mods together and have them freak out simultaneously and blow everything up), and trying to add or remove mods from an existing save just tends to cause it to become irretrievably corrupted after a short while of playing. Usually from the mod author making it so that data from the mod is saved in the memory rather than clearing itself, so trying to play without the mod (or play with a new mod) on that file will lead it to try and access data that no longer exists.

Though this can ALSO happen without you even touching a thing.

I will say that the worst glitch I've ever encountered was in the New Vegas DLC, Dead Money. I love that expansion to death and I love playing it, but when I got the DLC for the 360 I would get all three companions and complete the first mission....and Elijah wouldn't realize it. I'd be left in an endless red hell because I couldn't continue past the first part of the main quest, and there's nothing to do at that point but adventure through a handful of unlocked areas, killing Ghost People and scavenging respawning loot until I died. The only way to fix it according to the wiki is to start a new game of Dead Money, but that never worked. Even worse, none of the other DLC I bought would activate! The game detected it on the main menu, but it would never load in the game. I started playing on the PC primarily because I felt cheated.

That said, the DLC for New Vegas is a good example of how to do proper expansions. Each one is different: Dead Money is survival horror with limited resources and stealthy enemies that are hard to kill, Honest Hearts is a sandbox involving tribal politics and questions of morality, Old World Blues is a balls-out hilarious sandbox that has an amazing amount of content, and Lonesome Road is a linear adventure that mixes tough combat with minor horror and primarily involves the player character's past. All of them are at least decent and have a ton of content, with Old World Blues probably being my favorite.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2927 on: July 26, 2013, 06:36:25 am »
I have New Vegas but I decided to start with 3 first because I figured it'd be the rougher one, although I hear people say they're both on par with each other.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2928 on: July 26, 2013, 09:26:23 am »
Has anyone played Cube World? I've debated getting it as it looks rather unique based on the LPs that I've seen, but I can't really decide. FYI, it's not another Minecraft in any way. Completely different worlds and objectives. More RPG-ish.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2929 on: July 26, 2013, 09:29:18 am »
Has anyone played Cube World? I've debated getting it as it looks rather unique based on the LPs that I've seen, but I can't really decide. FYI, it's not another Minecraft in any way. Completely different worlds and objectives. More RPG-ish.
It does look rather snazzy, but from I've seen, it's still a really early alpha. So it's probably better to wait until it's more fleshed out before getting into it.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2930 on: July 26, 2013, 09:36:34 am »
It does look rather snazzy, but from I've seen, it's still a really early alpha. So it's probably better to wait until it's more fleshed out before getting into it.

I thought the same, but I figure the price will probably go up with it as updates are released, so it may be worth it to get it now if it's decent enough.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2931 on: July 26, 2013, 09:48:13 am »

I thought the same, but I figure the price will probably go up with it as updates are released, so it may be worth it to get it now if it's decent enough.

It could also get some shitty updates (like the testificate villages in Minecraft), so it's a bit of a gamble as to whether it will indeed live up to its potential once it's done. Personally, I'd wait until at least some sort of questing system is in the game before I fork over any money, but that's just me I suppose.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2932 on: July 26, 2013, 11:25:15 am »
Beat my first game of Civ.  I have to say, it was an enjoyable ride.  I think next time I'll not go for the "KILL EVERYONE!" approach and actually get a diplomatic victory.

Ironbite-at the end there were three powers left and I pretty much controlled the map.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #2933 on: July 26, 2013, 12:58:06 pm »
I have New Vegas but I decided to start with 3 first because I figured it'd be the rougher one, although I hear people say they're both on par with each other.
This is actually a very tough comparison! Fallout 3 has a more open world and barely any invisible walls while New Vegas has invisible walls galore (especially in Scorpion Gulch) and a more closed off world.

Combat is much more balanced in New Vegas as it has the concept of Damage Threshold form earlier Fallout games. If DT > DAM output of a weapon you take much less damage.

The writing of New Vegas is much, much better.

I started playing Fallout 3 a few days ago after I got in the sale (interesting that none of the infamous crashes or glitches are happening to me even though I running it in windows 7).  I ended up killing the Overseer and pissing off the girl who was going to come with me ( I think).
No spoilers in case you are doing a no spoiler run. Karmic irony is going to kick your butt in multiple ways.

I recommend the Vault 101 Revisited mod otherwise Vault 101 just lacks potential and there is a stupid glitch that will trap and kill your companions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:05:42 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #2934 on: July 26, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »
This is actually a very tough comparison! Fallout 3 has a more open world and barely any invisible walls while New Vegas has invisible walls galore (especially in Scorpion Gulch) and a more closed off world.

Combat is much more balanced in New Vegas as it has the concept of Damage Threshold form earlier Fallout games. If DT > DAM output of a weapon you take much less damage.

I'm not so sure about the combat. Personally, I found Fallout New Vegas much more difficult to get going in than Fallout 3. In the beginning in New vegas, pretty much everything except bloatflies and bark scorpions can kick your ass, and even raiders can be unnecessarily difficult unless you're pretty careful. I didn't find this to be the case in Fallout 3. But then once you progress far enough into the games, their difficulty becomes pretty equal in terms of combat I think.

Though, regarding weapons, I might have to go with Fallout New Vegas just because there's significantly more variety than in Fallout 3, and there's also weapon mods to customize your guns even more. That was something I really liked. Also: the anti-matériel rifle. My absolute favourite gun in the entire game. Once you max out Guns and Sneak skills, you one-shot nearly everything, except really tough bosses.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2935 on: July 26, 2013, 03:56:10 pm »
I had to cheat to complete some quests due to character spawning issues along with a glitch in the laser weapons shop.  Also IMO only honest hearts and Old world blues are good DLC with that said though loved the writing and the lack of good evil type choices.  I blame bethesda for the glitches.  Did you know that they gave Obsidon no bug test time and said taht their bonuses would be tied to metacritic scores.  So they got and 84 on metacritc not an 85 so they didnt get bonuses

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2936 on: July 26, 2013, 04:23:47 pm »

It could also get some shitty updates (like the testificate villages in Minecraft), so it's a bit of a gamble as to whether it will indeed live up to its potential once it's done. Personally, I'd wait until at least some sort of questing system is in the game before I fork over any money, but that's just me I suppose.

Honestly, the only thing that makes the villages in Minecraft remotely useful are mods like Thaumcraft, Tinker's Construct, and Mystcraft.  Otherwise, villages are more along the lines of places for me to raid and nick all their goodies.  With mods, I've actually got some incentive to keep one or two of the bastards alive.

I was thinking about, in a SSP world, making a Direwolf20-style Railcraft villager sorting/breeding system, except I'll be a little less nice...by putting the undesirables thru a MFR grinder for their tasty, tasty essence.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2937 on: July 26, 2013, 04:32:38 pm »

I'm not so sure about the combat. Personally, I found Fallout New Vegas much more difficult to get going in than Fallout 3. In the beginning in New vegas, pretty much everything except bloatflies and bark scorpions can kick your ass, and even raiders can be unnecessarily difficult unless you're pretty careful. I didn't find this to be the case in Fallout 3. But then once you progress far enough into the games, their difficulty becomes pretty equal in terms of combat I think.

Though, regarding weapons, I might have to go with Fallout New Vegas just because there's significantly more variety than in Fallout 3, and there's also weapon mods to customize your guns even more. That was something I really liked. Also: the anti-matériel rifle. My absolute favourite gun in the entire game. Once you max out Guns and Sneak skills, you one-shot nearly everything, except really tough bosses.

Well with Fallout 3, the difficulty in areas is tied to your level.  Once you enter an area, the game takes a look at your level and then sets that area up for that level.  The fights are doable but challenging.  Not so in New Vegas where they wanted you to go a certain way and so set the difficulty in areas so that you have to be a certain level to even think about fighting things.  Such as if you go North from Goodsprings, you run into Cazadors.  Which will eat your face.

Ironbite-honestly both games have their good and bad points.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2938 on: July 26, 2013, 05:47:57 pm »
I think the reason they made the change for New Vegas regarding difficulty and blocked terrain is because in Fallout 3 (and indeed Fallout 2 and I think Fallout 1 as well), it was trivial for players to sequence break and finish the game far earlier than they're supposed to, or get themselves plenty of equipment and cash. Fallout 3 made it even easier as, like Oblivion, they made the enemies you encountered almost 100% scaled to your level. So rather than going through the storyline at the appropriate time to see the changes in difficulty, you'd hit what were supposed to be relatively difficult areas that were now loaded with starter bad guys. Not to mention that it turned Super Mutants into a joke, as they went from being legitimate threats to generic mooks that go down in droves to a kid fresh out of the Vault.

It's still possible to sequence break and run all the way to New Vegas, just much more difficult due to needing to dodge the Cazadores and/or Deathclaws. But my sister did it by complete accident, as she didn't realize she was going the wrong way (and, you know, had the difficulty turned down to Very Easy).

If you guys REALLY want difficulty in New Vegas, there's a realistic combat/armor mod out there (can't recall the name at the moment) that changes how damage works. Basically, weapons do much more damage but DT is much more protective. So leather armor will at least let you survive a few handgun or weak rifle bullets, though your health will be very low, and the weakest enemies like giant mantises and radroaches can barely do anything to low level armor. Meanwhile, anyone without armor (no matter their supposed level) will likely get ripped to shreds by just about anything. It also makes power armor WAY more protective, to the point where you basically NEED armor piercing ammo or anti-vehicle weapons to penetrate it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2939 on: July 26, 2013, 08:20:59 pm »
Boyfriend keeps poking at my to play more Tera with him, but i cant, its too painfully asian, even the armored pigs in the game have curls in their hair.

I just finished two of the expansions for borderlands, i loves Captain Scarlets missions, Torgues campaign got old quick. I get it, you like screaming, calm down on the schtick....i hate schticks. I went play Tiny Tinas dlc, but the skeletons right at the start were around 6 levels higher than me.

Also im planning on getting a new gpu. Probably this http://www.cplonline.com.au/gigabyte-2gb-gtx650-ti-oc.html, to replace my gts 250
Coupled with my core 2 due e8400 3.3 ghz cpu. It should make my system even more solid, though im a tad worried about bottleneckinh
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.