Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511385 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3435 on: October 01, 2013, 12:46:33 am »
For those of you who already own GTA V: Please, PLEASE tell me that it doesn't have random friends calling you to go play darts and watch strippers. I've been playing IV recently (couldn't run it on my old computer), and I'm getting tired of having to interrupt whatever I was planning on doing to prevent some random character from disliking me.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3436 on: October 01, 2013, 01:17:42 am »
I've not played but no you choose when to play golf not your cousin

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3437 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:09 am »
For those of you who already own GTA V: Please, PLEASE tell me that it doesn't have random friends calling you to go play darts and watch strippers. I've been playing IV recently (couldn't run it on my old computer), and I'm getting tired of having to interrupt whatever I was planning on doing to prevent some random character from disliking me.

Nope. You can still hang out (including all three protagonists calling each other up), but they never ever bug you about it. Pretty much all of the calls you get are mission or story-related.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3438 on: October 01, 2013, 03:32:06 am »
I just installed Minecraft on this particular computer and I'm getting used to it again.  Will have to read the wiki to see EVERYTHING that's been added since I last played (hint: it's been awhile since I last played)

I have no pictures yet, but I managed to build a two story house with enough space to make me feel at home.  It's barely furnished, but it's there.  I even spawned on top of a cliff and said to myself "Yeah, I'm building my house RIGHT HERE."

It's just made out of planks so far, and aside from using fences for windows until I can get glass panes, it's ridiculously plain looking.

My plan is to more or less upgrade its appearances as I go, expand it if I have to.  When I start enchanting and doing alchemy, I think I might build a tower on top that contains a library for enchanting, and an alchemy room on top of that.

I don't like building underground.

...Note to self:

Sometime in the future, start a Dwarf Fortress project where my dwarves make a suicidal attempt to live above ground in houses.

Dwarves eventually adapt to being on the surface and it doesn't make them AS unhappy, right?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3439 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:02 am »
Terraria 1.2 is due in just a few hours. I think I'll re-install it once I'm finished with Fable 2.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3440 on: October 01, 2013, 07:20:46 am »
I think I need a new Skyrim disk.  Last night it froze on me 3 times in a half hour period, and all I was doing was exploring and killing a few things.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3441 on: October 01, 2013, 04:14:46 pm »
I just installed Minecraft on this particular computer and I'm getting used to it again.  Will have to read the wiki to see EVERYTHING that's been added since I last played (hint: it's been awhile since I last played)

I have no pictures yet, but I managed to build a two story house with enough space to make me feel at home.  It's barely furnished, but it's there.  I even spawned on top of a cliff and said to myself "Yeah, I'm building my house RIGHT HERE."

It's just made out of planks so far, and aside from using fences for windows until I can get glass panes, it's ridiculously plain looking.

My plan is to more or less upgrade its appearances as I go, expand it if I have to.  When I start enchanting and doing alchemy, I think I might build a tower on top that contains a library for enchanting, and an alchemy room on top of that.

I don't like building underground.

...Note to self:

Sometime in the future, start a Dwarf Fortress project where my dwarves make a suicidal attempt to live above ground in houses.

Dwarves eventually adapt to being on the surface and it doesn't make them AS unhappy, right?

Dwarves start not minding being above ground as long as they have a roof of some sort. It's after they're underground for long periods that they get cave adapted and start hating the sun.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3442 on: October 01, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »
Also, dwarfs often have the "doesn't mind working outdoors" personality trait.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3443 on: October 01, 2013, 06:38:00 pm »

Nope. You can still hang out (including all three protagonists calling each other up), but they never ever bug you about it. Pretty much all of the calls you get are mission or story-related.

Thank god. IV's got a lot of great content, but they really went in the wrong direction with some of the features. Playing a video game shouldn't have to involve doing chores before you get to have fun.

Terraria 1.2 is due in just a few hours. I think I'll re-install it once I'm finished with Fable 2.

I started a new character and world earlier today. So far, I'm having a ton of fun discovering all of the new content. Not sure how long the novelty will last, given that it's still the same basic gameplay, but for the time being, I'm enjoying it.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3444 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:11 pm »
Once again, I've been reminded why I abandoned the primary Thief fandom all those years ago.  I was watching the Thief demo on YouTube, the one they played at the Eurogamer Expo.  People are constantly complaining about how the jumping is contextual now.  Jumping, at least for reasons other than simply making noise and either being a total retard or just deciding to fuck with the guards, was contextual in the other four Thief games.  They just made it so you can't leap around like a fucking moron, and it makes perfect sense.  Think about it, Garrett's a smart man, he's a master fucking thief for a reason.  He'll want to avoid needless exertion, saving his stamina for more important tasks.  Jumping not only takes stamina to do, but also generally creates noise, something a skilled thief also avoids doing unless its actually necessary.  Ergo, it'd stand to reason that Garrett would only jump/mantle when its actually advantageous for him to do so.

But, no, its an unacceptable departure from our comfy little armchairs of nostalgia.  God damned pussies are just too scared to play anything new for fear of ruining their "hardcwoar gaemahr" cred by enjoying something that's not 15 years old, if not older.  I'll get this new Thief, even if its just to piss off every pretentious gamer hipster out there and make them fume with impotent rage.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3445 on: October 01, 2013, 11:28:22 pm »
I'll probably check it out. I only played a little of the first Thief, and it was decent (if hamstrung by being ancient and thus made before modern gaming conventions were properly decided upon). Dishonored reminded me a little bit of it in the stealth department, as well as some of the theming.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3446 on: October 01, 2013, 11:43:25 pm »
If you want a primer on Thief, I'd suggest getting Thief II.  The first one (and Thief Gold, to a lesser extent) was kinda held back because the Dark Engine of the time was comparatively primitive to what's found in Thief II.  The latter might still have a bug or two, but at least they aren't game-breaking like being sent flying when trying to jump on to a rope.  Plus, a marked downturn in the amount of undead, and burricks pretty much don't exist, by that point.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3447 on: October 02, 2013, 01:01:34 am »
Had a blackout earlier while playing Cookie Clicker, and lost all my progress :'(

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3448 on: October 02, 2013, 01:06:08 am »
Plus, a marked downturn in the amount of undead, and burricks pretty much don't exist, by that point.
In that case, I think I might just jump straight to Thief 2 as well. I wanted to play them in order, but I kept abandoning the first Thief because the zombie/animal to human enemy ratio was way too high for my liking. As in, by the end of the second mission I as already sick of zombles.
Had a blackout earlier while playing Cookie Clicker, and lost all my progress :'(
How'd you manage that? I auto saves every two minutes or so for me.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3449 on: October 02, 2013, 01:10:46 am »
Power must have gone out in the middle of an autosave.  At any rate, I'm back to zero.