Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508895 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3750 on: November 26, 2013, 03:28:48 pm »
I'll actually give them that the dragons of Skyrim behave less life-like and more like ... well, robots.

Sure, we don't have any real dragons to compare them with, but there's still a standard that we can use to say that they're life-like.

I think the closest living animal that we can relate their locomotive behavior to are bats.

Of course the fact that dragons fly with magic instead of obeying the physics of the land makes things harder (and more convenient at the same time)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3751 on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:55 am »
Woo! Mandate got the 500'000$ they needed for the Kickstarter!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

...Now I'll just have to wait a year.

Well a bit more than a year.

Year and a half maybe for the complete game.

If there are no delays.

At least I'm hopeful that it will be a good game. And I'll get to try the beta due to backing the Kickstarter.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3752 on: November 29, 2013, 09:38:02 am »
Say, you all remember Roller Coaster Tycoon? Well, as it turns out, some guy is making a free and open source version of it, in the same vein as the ever fantastic OpenTTD. Personally, I'm somewhat excited.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3753 on: November 29, 2013, 11:52:04 am »
so I picked up Dark Souls on the Steam sale yesterday for $6... any advice? other than "prepare to die a lot"?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3754 on: November 29, 2013, 12:16:43 pm »
Have to always enjoy snipers who will never turn around. No matter what's going on behind them.  Had to clean out my custom mods because of some sounds issues so I decided to hop onto the Valve servers and that was the result most of the time.

I also found a rather brilliant custom gamemode made to reenact super smash bros.  All damage you do only makes knockback longer, the only way to kill people is by knocking them off of the stage or having them hit the skybox. A video example

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3755 on: November 29, 2013, 01:41:01 pm »
so I picked up Dark Souls on the Steam sale yesterday for $6... any advice? other than "prepare to die a lot"?
mod it to unlock the frame rate

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3756 on: November 29, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »

• When fighting most bosses, timing your rolls to dodge their attacks can be more useful than shield blocking their attacks, especially early on in the game.
  • Picking a starting class doesn't affect the game much, only what stats and equipment you start with.
  • If an area is too hard for you, explore elsewhere then return later
  • Praise the Sun!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3757 on: November 29, 2013, 02:41:58 pm »
I finally replaced my ancient first generation Xbox 360 (it was so old, it needed a $60 wireless adapter to get wi-fi) with a new Slim; the Black Friday deal meant that not only did I get the console for $180 from Best Buy, it came with:

* Batman: Arkham City
* Tomb Raider (2013)
* Darksiders II
* Halo 4

And Kelly bought Lego Marvel Superheroes for the PS3. AND I still had Dead Rising 2 waiting to be downloaded from Games With Gold.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3758 on: November 29, 2013, 02:58:29 pm »

Spend some time getting the timing for parrying down.  Don't parry boss attacks unless they're humanoids and around your size (give or take several meters)

Pay attention to the ground and the walls.  That will tip you off on possible surprises.

If you are human and online, you are able to be invaded, but you are also able to invite help.  However, if you are invaded, there is a significant time limit before you are able to be invaded again, so don't worry about that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3759 on: November 29, 2013, 10:45:49 pm »
I picked up dark souls as well. Its gonna be interesting using a keyboard instead of a controller.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3760 on: November 29, 2013, 11:33:15 pm »
I picked up dark souls as well. Its gonna be interesting using a keyboard instead of a controller.

Weren't you the one insisting that I never get Dark Souls until I have a controller? XP

Regardless, there's a fix on the Dark Souls Nexus that makes using a keyboard and mouse less of a pain and a half.

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/28/

Wow it was the 28th mod uploaded...

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3761 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:18 pm »

Weren't you the one insisting that I never get Dark Souls until I have a controller? XP

Regardless, there's a fix on the Dark Souls Nexus that makes using a keyboard and mouse less of a pain and a half.

dont think that was me. And link?
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3762 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:53 pm »
...Dammit you posted in the less-than-a-minute it took me to edit the link into my post XP

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3763 on: November 30, 2013, 01:04:35 am »
Dark Souls? Isn't that the game wh-DIRECT INTERVENTION IS NECESSARY.

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 again with some DLC I couldn't afford the first time around, and I've noticed that I'm taking a lot more renegade interrupts/dialogue choices. Not to my crew, of course, unless they deserve it, but I was a lot ruder to (for example) Warden What's-His-Nuts on Purgatory. I can't really bring myself to heckle Mordin for his work on the genophage, though, in part because I watched his sacrifice on Tuchanka in 3. The first time around, his "it was necessary/for the greater good" rhetoric seemed like blame shifting or even victim blaming (depending on whether you see the krogan as instigators or, y'know, victims).

The other thing I noticed was that the DLC for this game is awesome. Kasumi's adorable and her mission is fun as hell, while Zaeed gives RenShep a run for his/her money in sheer bastard-ness. I also got Overlord (which I haven't played yet) and Wreckage of the Normandy (which made me tear up a little, after firing into the sky twenty-one times).
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3764 on: November 30, 2013, 01:15:30 am »
I sometimes take Renegade options mostly ones that make the game fun (Like snapping that asshole Eclipse Merc's neck, or shooting that Krogan with the long winded speech or headbutting Uvenk especially headbutting Uvenk.)