Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511199 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4500 on: June 15, 2014, 12:02:53 am »
Starting out MWO under the moniker "The Knight of Dawn", mostly because of my long love affair with Mecha.

So what faction and weight class should I choose? I was thinking about Inner Sphere and a Light Mech, but I want to get input from you guys.

I don't know shit about factions, but I did watch some videos from a good, accomplished player who was basically trying to teach things to new players, and one thing I learned is that light mechs aren't for newbies to the game.  Their lack of armor is definitely offset by their speed, and you can do some interesting things with them, but they require great control to succeed.  Because if you get hit, you FEEL that lack of armor.

But hey, if you like a challenge and are already great at Mechwarrior games, I guess you can go ahead and go be a light mech.  Being a heavier mech does make it easier to start off with, though, and then you can buy a light mech later.
Well, the Patcher refuses to work and it won't play. Son of a bitch.

I forgot MWO existed. After reading your first post I went to got download it and try it, but now that the patcher is up it says the patch download will take 20 hours or more. Fuck that. I'm not waiting that long. Besides it might fuck up like you said, or it will stop when my laptop goes in to standby and have to completely restart.

As I was waiting for the installer to download I was hype as shit to get to finally play a mechwarrior game again. My fucking piece of shit internet connection has killed the hype. Have I mentioned my damn internet connection bullshit? It can usually sort of play online games, but anytime I try to download something it shits itself. Like when me and my friend are on Xbox Live and are switching to a game and find it needs a sizable patch downloaded, like Battlefield. Ok, fine. My friends download took ten minutes. Mine took all damn night, and we ended up not getting o play the game we wanted to fucking play, because once it finished, he had all of ten minutes before he had to get offline and go to bed.

What I hate the most is that this is the best we can get and have no hope of getting anything better in the near future at all. It took a petition and a hell of a lot of phone calls to get them to install this much. Before it was either dial up, or satellite, which wasn't any better than dial up. The internet company knows we have no other choice, so the can be dicks all they want. About a year ago the internet would go down all the time, for no apparent reason. When the guy the company sent to look at it came here looked at the junction box or whatever it is, he said their previous "upgrade" to what it is now was done be basically hotwiring an old used semi-broken board or something to the existing shit system, somehow making it less shit. He pretty much told us it was a dubious set-up. It got "fixed" in that the internet doesn't go down daily, but it is still down every once in a while. The internet company are a buch of cheap ass motherfucker who refuse to even properly upgrade the system to what I think is the lowest speed available from most other companies in other areas.

A while back the Australian government was getting shit for planning to only upgrade the countries internet system to a certain amount. Everyone was screaming at them about how abysmally low it would be and how it would hinder the countries economy. Out of curiosity I looked at the internet speed I was getting at the time, it being a good day. I found it barely pushed a fifth of whatever the Australian governments proposal was. What other people called abysmally slow, was still over five times what I was getting on a good day. On a bad day I wish I had fucking dial up.

By the way, the patch is in total a size of 4107.13 MB. Currently, an hour after it started, it is at about 230 MB. Somehow the ETA shown is now about 10 hours. I don't know how that works. Besides, my internet speed fluctuates so much normally that the ETA on downloads is normally jumping all over the place.

This post ended up being a lot longer than planned.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4501 on: June 16, 2014, 07:33:29 am »
I had a rather interesting moment while playing Star Wars Battlefront the other day.  I was playing on the Kashyyk Camp map as the Rebels.  I saw a wookie nearby (not a scout, just and ordinary wookie) fire his bowcaster into the sky.  A moment later, I looked up and saw a TIE fighter explode.  I figured it must've been a coincidence where an X-Wing shot it at about the same time.  But at the end of the battle, I saw, "Tank Buster:  Wookie (3)."  Not only did he indeed shoot down that TIE, he had blasted two more as well . . . with a bowcaster!  I wished we could've recruited that guy.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4502 on: June 16, 2014, 02:30:55 pm »
Notice how the final version of Watch_Dogs on the PC didn't look as good as the E3 version? apparently the E3 effects were still in the game code but were switched off for the release version. somebody just went into the game files and switched them back on.

Basically, Ubisoft are a bunch of lazy fucks who couldn't be bothered to make a proper PC version. I'm assuming they gimped the PC version to make it look around the same level as the "next gen" consoles.

Link

And the kicker is, some people say the game RUNS BETTER with the tweak applied. Jesus fuck Ubisoft, step it up.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4503 on: June 16, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »
B-b-but...PIWACY!  PCs have all dem bad piwates and dey make us pee our pants!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4504 on: June 16, 2014, 03:33:28 pm »

As someone who isn't innocent of piracy, I have never pirated a DRM free game and, if I remember correctly, DRM has been proven to NOT have any significant effect on game sales for big name games.

Not to mention the ridiculousness that is the fact that pirates tend to get better versions of these games purely because they don't have to deal with the DRM.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:12:18 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4505 on: June 16, 2014, 03:34:58 pm »

As someone who isn't innocent of piracy, I have ever pirated a DRM free game and, if I remember correctly, DRM has been proven to NOT have any significant effect on game sales for big name games.

Not to mention the ridiculousness that is the fact that pirates tend to get better versions of these games purely because they don't have to deal with the DRM.
Besides, there are better ways to deal with pirates.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4506 on: June 16, 2014, 03:37:34 pm »
As much as I don't like it, the "day one patch" is basically a form of DRM.  Release a buggy game, make it so that you have to actually own the game to get the patches for it.

Whether it was INTENDED to be a form of DRM is another question altogether.

But the best way to combat piracy is to reward those who legit buy your game.  Not punish people for pirates existing.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4507 on: June 16, 2014, 05:09:30 pm »
Exactly, Zack.  Something like "if you put in this CD key (and its legit), you get early access (and maybe a discount) to any expansions and other DLC."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4508 on: June 16, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »
Meanwhile, the developers of The Witcher 3 are allowing you to pre-order their game off GOG.com DRM-FREE, you get a 27% discount for owning the previous games, you get Neverwinter Nights free, you get two beta access codes for their upcoming Witcher adventure game, you get to choose two games to get free off the site to make up for the regional pricing, the first issue of The Witcher comic book FREE, a soundtrack preview of several tracks with the entire soundtrack on release...

And Ubisoft is off pulling this shit. I swear, if they didn't own the Might & Magic and Rayman franchises I would be done with them for good.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4509 on: June 16, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »
Has whoever is in charge at Ubisoft actually gone completely insane or something? WTF are they playing at lately?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4510 on: June 16, 2014, 06:23:08 pm »
Meanwhile, the developers of The Witcher 3 are allowing you to pre-order their game off GOG.com DRM-FREE, you get a 27% discount for owning the previous games, you get Neverwinter Nights free, you get two beta access codes for their upcoming Witcher adventure game, you get to choose two games to get free off the site to make up for the regional pricing, the first issue of The Witcher comic book FREE, a soundtrack preview of several tracks with the entire soundtrack on release...

Wow, that's awesome. I follow Witcher stuff on facebook, and I remember one post where they stated they "learned their lesson about DRM." Hats off to them for actually caring.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4511 on: June 16, 2014, 08:45:06 pm »

Wow, that's awesome. I follow Witcher stuff on facebook, and I remember one post where they stated they "learned their lesson about DRM." Hats off to them for actually caring.

I kno rite? I've told myself I really shouldn't be pre-ordering games anymore but the GOG.com deal was too great to pass up.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4512 on: June 16, 2014, 09:22:50 pm »
As much as I don't like it, the "day one patch" is basically a form of DRM.  Release a buggy game, make it so that you have to actually own the game to get the patches for it.

That only works for consoles, which suffer the least from piracy due to the difficulty in pirating games for them (as opposed to PCs, which are plug-and-play with no effort). With PC games, it's often fully possible to patch pirated games as long as you have an appropriate crack for the patch version; Day One patches are likely to be even more vulnerable, as the people who make illegal copies for pirating are likely to have that version of the game to work on in the first place unless they're using a pre-release copy.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4513 on: June 16, 2014, 09:42:47 pm »
So Anita Sarkeesian made another video. I have to say, her first few had the odd valid point here and there, but this one is just utter nonsense.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4514 on: June 16, 2014, 09:59:51 pm »
So Anita Sarkeesian made another video. I have to say, her first few had the odd valid point here and there, but this one is just utter nonsense.

Mind summarizing it for us who aren't subscribed to her?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet