Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508993 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4950 on: September 27, 2014, 09:51:04 pm »
Got Tales of Symphonia Chronicles the other day. The first game rocks, but I've heard Dawn of the New World is the weakest Tales series game. Oh well, it was $20.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4951 on: September 27, 2014, 11:05:14 pm »
I'm not normally one to jump on bash-the-game bandwagons, but my own personal impression of Dawn of the New World is that it was made by a bunch of bored, depressed people who couldn't be enthused about anything they made.  Except for the voice actors.  Some of them.

Seriously, just look at some of the mystic artes.  So unenthusiastic.  So much blank space.  So little oomph.  Also, Genis' Mystic Arte was changed from Indignation Judgment to simply Indignation.  Except... he still has Indignation as a regular spell.

The plot is definitely interesting as a concept, though.  The execution of said concept is... well, I'll leave that up to you to discover.

It just felt like a game that the makers were practically forced to make for the sake of a sequel, rather than feeling inspired to make it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:06:47 pm by Witchyjoshy »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4952 on: September 27, 2014, 11:49:19 pm »
Got Tales of Symphonia Chronicles the other day. The first game rocks, but I've heard Dawn of the New World is the weakest Tales series game. Oh well, it was $20.

As someone who also picked up Symphonia Chronicles, if Dawn of the New World is worse than Symphonia, fuck. Symphonia is already anime cliche theater with one of the dumbest JRPG casts I've ever seen (and I've played a LOT of JRPGs).
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4953 on: September 30, 2014, 07:27:01 pm »
Fire up Project Zomboid, happen upon lots of ammo and guns, go out for glorious last stand...only to die because you ate a bad watermelon.  MOTHER.  FUCKER.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4954 on: September 30, 2014, 08:24:05 pm »
You know what would be the shit? A Starcraft MMOTPS in the vein of Firefall and the Planetside series.

Let's use the Reaper as a example class of the Terrans. The class features of the Reaper include:

• The Jump Pack allows far more aerial mobility compared to any other Terran class, with vertical and horizontal movement in midair. This makes them incredibly competent at ambushes and assault.
  • While their P-series pistol is comparatively weak to other Terran weapons, it has a high rate of fire.
  • Their demolition charges allow for versatile point defense or dropping bombs on foes from the skies.
  • While incredibly squishy, they are the best Terran option for fast attack.

Now, the Zerg play differently than any of the other factions. You start off as a larva and go on a evolution path from there after getting near Creep. From there, you can evolve into more forms. We'll use the Zergling as a example for the Zerg.

• Possibly one of the fastest Zerg creatures, with a good melee assault game and one of the most mobile Zerg. With their wings gained as a result of evolution, they can serve as melee counterparts to the Reaper or use them in unison with the common burrow ability.
  • Can burrow beneath the ground in order to conceal itself or ambush enemies, though speed is greatly reduced.
  • 20% chance to spawn AI-controlled Broodlings after death, or can merely spawn one while alive.
  • Can attach to walls and cliffs in order to climb.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:44:28 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #4955 on: September 30, 2014, 10:48:23 pm »
 I thought I'd try Dota 2. So far I've installed it but haven't actually launched it because I've been too busy over the last few days.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4956 on: October 01, 2014, 01:02:41 am »
Always wondered why there isn't a World of Starcraft.

Ironbite-I think it'd be neat.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4957 on: October 01, 2014, 01:23:26 am »
The regular Zerg do not have enough individuality for a player character and the only ones that evolve significantly are the primal Zerg. Others have minor modifications or are simply dissolved and replaced with new, better Zerg without inheriting the original ones mind(s) if they had one.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4958 on: October 01, 2014, 01:33:29 am »
The regular Zerg do not have enough individuality for a player character and the only ones that evolve significantly are the primal Zerg. Others have minor modifications or are simply dissolved and replaced with new, better Zerg without inheriting the original ones mind(s) if they had one.

You're acting like established lore has ever got in the way of making an MMORPG.

Just look at how World of Warcraft fucked with the lore.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4959 on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:11 am »

.....you are talking about a massively successful game that was spawned by being able to take control of various units that had as much individuality as a bag of M&Ms right?

Ironbite-RIGHT!?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4960 on: October 01, 2014, 02:20:20 am »
Could I get specific recommendations on this thread?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4961 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:11 am »

.....you are talking about a massively successful game that was spawned by being able to take control of various units that had as much individuality as a bag of M&Ms right?

Ironbite-RIGHT!?
Warcraft series had the units made up from orcs, humans, dwarves etc. Even if every single human warrior in WC1 sounded the same this does not mean that they weren't supposed to represent individual humans. The fact that I can play an elf or a dwarf in WoW and them having their own mind and individuality does not break canon.

Zerg have a hive mind and even though a few of them are allowed a personality most are mindless killing machines. (As far as I've understood originally only the Cerebrates and the Overmind were individuals. Kerrigan's arrival and her reshaping of the brood did change things though.)

Even the Forsaken are representing the FEW undead who had enough of their mind remain to be able to break free from the Lich king. Majority of the undead are mindless zombies (or skeletons or ghosts or whatever. You get the point.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4962 on: October 01, 2014, 02:25:35 am »
Could I get specific recommendations on this thread?
Sure. Let us know what you're after and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4963 on: October 01, 2014, 02:33:33 am »
Does anyone have recs for horror games with a reasonably interesting plot? Not necessarily "Silent Hill" complex and notched, but still more complicated than "Survive the monsters, lol."

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4964 on: October 01, 2014, 02:53:48 am »
Can't go wrong with 5 Nights.

Ironbite-RIGHT!?
Warcraft series had the units made up from orcs, humans, dwarves etc. Even if every single human warrior in WC1 sounded the same this does not mean that they weren't supposed to represent individual humans. The fact that I can play an elf or a dwarf in WoW and them having their own mind and individuality does not break canon.

Zerg have a hive mind and even though a few of them are allowed a personality most are mindless killing machines. (As far as I've understood originally only the Cerebrates and the Overmind were individuals. Kerrigan's arrival and her reshaping of the brood did change things though.)

Even the Forsaken are representing the FEW undead who had enough of their mind remain to be able to break free from the Lich king. Majority of the undead are mindless zombies (or skeletons or ghosts or whatever. You get the point.)

Dude, all the individual heros you play in WoW?  They're all identical units in Warcraft.  Each and every one of them.  That's it.  You could set the WoS say after the Queen of Blades arrives and the Zerg hive mind starts to splinter or....you just play a fucking Zergling.

Ironbite-it's not that hard.