Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511425 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5475 on: January 30, 2015, 07:54:30 am »
I found the dart gun really helps with them. It instantly cripples both legs, so it's very useful for either kiting and/or running away like a little girl.

In related news, I decided to give Psychonauts a replay. I have to say, while it positively oozes creativity and charm, when you consider the gameplay, it's not quite the masterpiece that people say it is. Still a great game, don't get me wrong, but it has its share of flaws.

As does every game.  Like, say...Portal: it locks an absolutely amazing concept inside a small, if very entertaining, puzzle-based 3D platformer.  Could you imagine the awesome you'd have on your hands if you joined Portal and Red Faction?  Using tactically-placed portals to get near enough to a building to covertly plant charges around it, then portal out to quiet safety...then blow said building straight to hell.  It would be amazinnnnnnnnnnnng.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5476 on: January 30, 2015, 08:05:43 am »
And break the game massivly

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5477 on: January 30, 2015, 11:14:00 am »

Isn't that the point?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5478 on: January 30, 2015, 02:02:01 pm »
Oy

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5479 on: January 30, 2015, 05:31:22 pm »
Isn't that the point?
In that case, might as well just stick with Red Faction and just knock the entire building down in 30 seconds with nothing but a hammer.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5480 on: January 31, 2015, 12:36:00 am »
Looking for a game with Gothic flair? Need a good rogue-like? Hankering for some turn-based RPG combat? Need some Cthulhu in your life? I've been assisting one of the Main Menu streamers, who helped kick off a 100 hour playthrough of the early access game Darkest Dungeon earlier tonight.  It releases on February 3rd, for about $20.  The devs are taking all the comments and critique into account as the guys play through, in order to improve the gameplay and fix issues that they find.  I know I'll be picking up three copies!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:52:21 am by Cerim Treascair »
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5481 on: January 31, 2015, 01:44:51 am »
I recently started a new game of Morrowind. I decided to play a mage/thief hybrid, who uses illusion and alteration magic to assist in his pilfering ways. Also, none of my major or minor class skills are combat oriented, and destruction magic, which I intend to be my main damage dealer, started off at a grand total of five points.

Yeah, needless to say, It's been a wee bit of a rough and very grindy start.

In other, non-Morrowind related news, the Meat Circus is really not that difficult with a controller. Woe betide (what the fuck does that even mean?) anyone who tries it with a mouse and keyboard, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:00:15 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5482 on: February 01, 2015, 05:27:59 am »
Installed Fallout 1 but turns out that something is wrong and the colours and graphics don't work. The screen goes all black whenever I do something and the graphics only come back underneath the mouse cursor... I am going to try updating or mods or something to see if I can fix it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5483 on: February 01, 2015, 08:22:05 am »
I've gotten that a time or two, as well.  It fixes itself whenever an area of the screen refreshes, methinks.  I've no idea what causes it, unfortunately.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5484 on: February 01, 2015, 08:44:44 am »
I just realized that the sorcerer guy from the opening of Return to Castle Wolfenstein is totally Corax from Heretic. He even has the staff you start with in the beginning of the game (I don't recall the exact name, but none of the weapons from Heretic were really memorable) and makes the same pain noises.

Why he's fighting zombie (!?!) Holy Roman Emperor Heinrich the 1st (!?!!?!) is beyond me, though. And that's before the zombie Holy Roman Emperor is revived by a SS High Priestess (Oh, fuck the exclamation marks at this point) clad only in a bikini with chainmail and psuedo Nazi-occultist shit. That's pretty over-the-top even for Wolfenstein.

Holy shit, the rabbit hole never fucking ends with ID.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:52:49 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5485 on: February 01, 2015, 03:05:07 pm »
I think the story goes that Heinrich I was a bloodthirsty, nearly-immortal psychopath that, left unchallenged, would've either violently ruled or outright destroyed most life on the planet.  The mage couldn't kill him, but decided to entomb him instead.  Nazis read accounts about Heinrich's power, and decide to resurrect him and, I believe, unleash him against the Allies then seal him back up once he won the war for them by virtue of being an unstoppable killing machine.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5486 on: February 01, 2015, 04:48:25 pm »
Speaking of Nazi's (never thought I'd say that sentence in my lif- scratch that I'm a history major I will probably say that more times than I will be willing to count.) I have a new game that was on sale on steam called Dino D-Day holy mother of the goddess this game is fucking fun, it's just the right kind of over-the-top weirdness that only genetically engineered Nazi dinosaurs could bring.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5487 on: February 01, 2015, 07:06:21 pm »
I think the story goes that Heinrich I was a bloodthirsty, nearly-immortal psychopath that, left unchallenged, would've either violently ruled or outright destroyed most life on the planet.  The mage couldn't kill him, but decided to entomb him instead.  Nazis read accounts about Heinrich's power, and decide to resurrect him and, I believe, unleash him against the Allies then seal him back up once he won the war for them by virtue of being an unstoppable killing machine.

(click to show/hide)

I dunno, playing it was like a screening of Lisztomania. You don't know what the hell's going on, except that there's Nazis.

Speaking of Nazi's (never thought I'd say that sentence in my lif- scratch that I'm a history major I will probably say that more times than I will be willing to count.) I have a new game that was on sale on steam called Dino D-Day holy mother of the goddess this game is fucking fun, it's just the right kind of over-the-top weirdness that only genetically engineered Nazi dinosaurs could bring.

It's never ascertained it's genetic engineering, if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:07:59 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5488 on: February 04, 2015, 06:46:00 am »
http://esports.garena.ph/newsArticle.php?contentid=00000600&cat=NEWS&subcat=LEAGUE+OF+LEGENDS

First the eSports league of League of legends announced that they will allow one (but only one) GLBT person per team in the league for women. But if there is more than one GLBT person in a team every single one of them will be banned for a year. Or if they switch that GLBT member everyone will be banned for a year.

This was apparently their great show of being "progressive" and meant to make the game "fun and safe" for everyone.

...After a backlash (including from the developers of the game) they realized that the rule was fucking stupid and from now on "anyone who identifies as female" can play in the womens' league.
http://esports.garena.ph/newsArticle.php?contentid=00000604
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5489 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:10 am »
It's kind of fucking stupid to have a separate league for women in the first place. It's e-sports, not actual sports. Just because they do a thing doesn't mean you have to blindly follow along with nary a thought of whether or not it's actually relevant to you.