Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1509333 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5490 on: February 04, 2015, 07:01:04 am »
It's kind of fucking stupid to have a separate league for women in the first place. It's e-sports, not actual sports. Just because they do a thing doesn't mean you have to blindly follow along with nary a thought of whether or not it's actually relevant to you.

The only logical reason I can think of is if the amount of female players is so low that they want to have a separate league in order to have more diverse sport. But I don't know enough about eSports to know if that is the case.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5491 on: February 04, 2015, 09:38:47 am »
>Separate league
>More diverse

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5492 on: February 04, 2015, 12:31:07 pm »
The reason for the separate league for women can be found in the geographical location of the place this tourny was being run in.  OH LOOK IT'S IN SOUTHEAST ASIA!

Ironbite-god damn it.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5493 on: February 04, 2015, 01:11:43 pm »
>Separate league
>More diverse

a) All of this is just assumptions as I do not know the sport.
b) Your pic isn't showing.
c) Concider this hypothesis... Despite the contrary evidence the current belief is that gaming is much more popular pastime for guys. Therefore the League management may have feared that male teams will dominate the sport (if not by skill, then at least by numbers) and in order to have more female teams they set up the separate league for women.

Or maybe they just thought that there should be separate leagues because "real" sports have separate leagues...

I have no idea what their reasoning on the original rule was though...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5494 on: February 04, 2015, 02:37:53 pm »
Probably the idea that men would call themselves transwomen so they can play in the women's league.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5495 on: February 04, 2015, 03:40:49 pm »
Started Metro Last Light Redux the other day. Very good sequel, though I'm missing most of what made it better since they rolled that into 2033 in the Redux version. And that little Dark One... awwwww.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5496 on: February 04, 2015, 05:24:31 pm »
In regards to the E-sports bullshit, really?! Really, guys? Jesus christ, I can understand the gender-based leagues but the ban on more than one LGBT member?

That's fucking unacceptable.

On a lighter note, how would you like a weapon that shoots bursts of blood at foes? Tracer missile spewer or hitscan assured accuracy?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:59:20 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #5497 on: February 04, 2015, 09:27:38 pm »
In regards to the E-sports bullshit, really?! Really, guys? Jesus christ, I can understand the gender-based leagues but the ban on more than one LGBT member?

That's fucking unacceptable.

On a lighter note, how would you like a weapon that shoots bursts of blood at foes? Tracer missile spewer or hitscan assured accuracy?

"Alright league of legends players, we know one of you activity sucks dick, but for the rest of you...have your set of testicles rubbed up against another?"
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5498 on: February 05, 2015, 06:11:03 am »
I have to say, killing Benny in Fallout: New Vegas is just so goddamn satisfying, especially after his grovelling once you catch up to him. I haven't realised how much I've missed Black Isle/Obsidian developed RPGs. Those guys easily have the best writers in the industry, hands down.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5499 on: February 05, 2015, 06:21:23 am »
I have to say, killing Benny in Fallout: New Vegas is just so goddamn satisfying, especially after his grovelling once you catch up to him. I haven't realised how much I've missed Black Isle/Obsidian developed RPGs. Those guys easily have the best writers in the industry, hands down.

Its even better when you give the dude who runs the gambling house your weapons and just beat him to death with your bare hands.  They can take that crappy 9mm, I WRESTLE DEATHCLAWS FOR FUN!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5500 on: February 05, 2015, 06:28:32 am »

Its even better when you give the dude who runs the gambling house your weapons and just beat him to death with your bare hands.  They can take that crappy 9mm, I WRESTLE DEATHCLAWS FOR FUN!

Heh, a bit like Motheship: Zeta. You aliens want to abduct me? Well how about I abduct your face with my fists, you smug little green shits. A shame the rest of that DLC was rather mediocre.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5501 on: February 05, 2015, 07:37:49 am »
http://techraptor.net/content/relationships-indie-gaming-interview-allistair-pinsof-part-2

Phil Fish? A egotist and a dishonest asshole? What a fucking shock!!

Knew it.

CORRECTION: THIS IS BULLSHIT. ALL OF IT IS BULLSHIT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, CITIZENS. GLORY TO ARTOTSKA.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:45:00 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5502 on: February 05, 2015, 09:19:51 am »
Dude seriously?

Also I want a mod called "Kill Benny."  You get locked in a room and the only way to get out is to just kill Benny over and over and over and over again.

Ironbite-I'd really like that.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5503 on: February 05, 2015, 02:55:34 pm »
Benny is a great villain in the same way that Handsome Jack is a great villain (Though Jack was even better.) He may not be the most physically dangerous boss (His pistol is quite weak and if you fight him with knives in the duel he ain't that special either) but he is a well written character and manages to make things personal with the player character.

Mr. House is just awesome and Caesar at least has a good background that makes him look like a well intentioned extremist (though mainly the legion is a bit too black-and-white villain compared to usual Fallout villains.)

Fallout series more often than not has good villains. The Master was pure awesome. He was a text book example of a BBEG who really thought he was a good guy
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5504 on: February 05, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »
http://techraptor.net/content/relationships-indie-gaming-interview-allistair-pinsof-part-2

Phil Fish? A egotist and a dishonest asshole? What a fucking shock!!

Knew it.

Pinsof is a known liar (claims to have been blacklisted from the industry after being fired from Destructoid for insubordination, but has had freelance work accepted by at least Kotaku since then) and all of these allegations have been denied by others. And considering TechRaptor's pro-GamerGate bias, I don't exactly trust someone they report on.

According to this article (which, unlike the TechRaptor interview, goes out of its way to fact check), Pinsof lied about what he was told by Tiff Chow and completely misrepresented what the Fantastic Arcades event even IS in the first place (the idea is that the games showcased by Fantastic Arcades is that ALL of them are worthy of being commended, so they do things like give Octodad the "Implied Cephalopod Intercourse Award.")

Shawn McGrath denies the allegations put forth by Pinsof about him and Fish. In fact, while McGrath is annoyed that Fish was using his idea, he didn't care enough to make an issue out of it. In his own words: "So I was just like, 'Fuck it, who cares?' This isn't actually that important. I don't have anything to do with the game, I've moved on with my life, I've made a game since then, I don't even care about this anymore. I kinda wish this would just never have happened."

These facts have also made Pinsof revise some of his initial statements, so that's a giant red flag right there.

So, yeah, this interview is character assassination on the part of GamerGate. I don't like Phil Fish, either, but let's stick to the facts, shall we?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:04:10 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?