Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1509459 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5640 on: March 30, 2015, 07:14:41 am »
Shadowrun returns and Dragonfall are surprisingly good games. I think the game would have been better with some videos and at least few talking characters rather than just the text, but this way it does seem more nostalgic retro-game.

Lots of references to the setting of Shadowrun and the previous games. The main character from the SNES Shadowrun, Jake Armitage, is an NPC in Shadowrun returns. Funnily enough, the earlier game began with him waking up at a morgue, having been thought dead, and Returns has the player wake him up when he is sleeping at a morgue...

Dragonfall takes place in Berlin, which is a welcome change. Nice to see more than just Seattle in a Shadowrun game. Dragonfall also has a rather interesting mistake (or a weird joke) there is a NPC who served in the Finnish military during the Eurowars and mentions that Russia invaded Finland from the north and the west.

...That must have been a wild flanking manouver.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5641 on: April 02, 2015, 10:31:29 am »
Reading a short interview with Koji Igarashi (former director behind some of the more well-known modern entries in the Castlevania series like Symphony of the Night and Lament of Innocence), and the guy's a sexist douche.  Not surprising considering Japan's got a worse sexism problem than America, but christ.  The dude not only removed the only female Belmont (Sonia, the original original Belmont before Leon came along) from the official timeline, but basically said that he doesn't really do female protagonists because its hard for players to relate to something other than a man, and because weak women are easy to write.  Kinda glad he's not in charge of the series, anymore.  Maybe we'll end up getting another Sonia Belmont sometime now that he's fucked off to do his own thing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5642 on: April 02, 2015, 03:32:15 pm »
The irony is that he worked on Portrait of Ruin, which had Charlotte, who was awesome.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5643 on: April 02, 2015, 07:41:59 pm »
Ravynous, could I be provided with a link to the IGA interview in question? It seems quite odd for the creator of a series that only dived into modern storytelling techniques to be pedantic about canon, from my perspective.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5644 on: April 02, 2015, 10:04:52 pm »
Ravynous, could I be provided with a link to the IGA interview in question? It seems quite odd for the creator of a series that only dived into modern storytelling techniques to be pedantic about canon, from my perspective.

Here ya go.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5645 on: April 03, 2015, 09:48:41 pm »
I just finished Redshirt. Not bad for a few hours, thought a bit on the easy side.

In other news, I'm now getting into Crusader Kings 2. Fantastic game all around, probably the best medieval grand strategy/eugenics simulator I've ever played.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:51:08 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5646 on: April 07, 2015, 08:29:46 am »
Valkryia Chronicles is pretty great, but I just can't get over some of the kawaii-desu~~ JRPG trappings in the game (the awkward dialogue, the weird poses and one liners after I just blew a dudes brains out)

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5647 on: April 07, 2015, 09:25:13 am »
...there is a certain comic about Valkyrie Chronicles that I shall link here when I get back to my computer.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5648 on: April 07, 2015, 11:59:24 am »
Valkryia Chronicles is pretty great, but I just can't get over some of the kawaii-desu~~ JRPG trappings in the game (the awkward dialogue, the weird poses and one liners after I just blew a dudes brains out)

What? No mention of how it appears to have replaced Jews with Japanese people in World War II? To the point where the third game went out of it's way to introduce actual Japanese people to retcon the implication that Darksens are supposed to be Japanese?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #5649 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »

What? No mention of how it appears to have replaced Jews with Japanese people in World War II? To the point where the third game went out of it's way to introduce actual Japanese people to retcon the implication that Darksens are supposed to be Japanese?

...I never picked up on that implication, every character looks like just another anime person.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5650 on: April 07, 2015, 05:01:20 pm »
The two Predators should have joined the Strike Force earlier in Chaos Rising, IMO.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5651 on: April 07, 2015, 05:13:49 pm »

What makes you think the Darcsens are specifically meant to represent the Japanese? The dark hair? They picked a random feature to be the basis of racism. Might have used skin colour for that matter as it was not important what that feature was merely that the other ethnic groups did not share the same feature.

And the comic I promised:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #5652 on: April 07, 2015, 07:18:11 pm »
Oh jesus fuck now there's this piglet with wings and they're trying to have this emotional scene with a piglet that just lost it's mother but it HAS WINGS.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5653 on: April 07, 2015, 08:37:12 pm »

Wait...this is a series of terrible games?

Ironbite-*pours a triple*

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5654 on: April 07, 2015, 09:42:46 pm »
*thunks down a second bottle for Ibby, and takes a third for himself with a snicker*

Valkyria Chronicles is fucking awesome.  Agarest is next on my list.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."