Author Topic: A christian's view of athiests...pile on the strawmen  (Read 11005 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: A christian's view of athiests...pile on the strawmen
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:09 am »

Well, to be fair, we've gone after a few anti-theists who get things about as wrong as this guy gets atheism wrong, so we're unfair fairly.

Wow, I missed people here going after fundie atheists.  When did this happen?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
Every now and then they appear on the mainpage:

http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=73711
http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=85448
http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=73600

Occasionally people defend them, or they show up here (one of those quotes was from FSTDT actually) to defend themselves. If you wonder how can a person who believes in a religion that teaches peace suddenly turn and start demanding a "holy war" or death to infidels without seeing any conflict with those messages I will point out that some atheist do the same. (This does not mean that it would be acceptable, but simply that sometimes people who supposedly have moral values/code will not realise that they are willing to break that same code as soon as they have an "enemy" that they no longer consider to be "people.")
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »

Well, to be fair, we've gone after a few anti-theists who get things about as wrong as this guy gets atheism wrong, so we're unfair fairly.

Fundie anti-theists actually.

As I recall, Agni/Chagen was pretty much trying to be one.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 10:14:02 pm »

Fundie anti-theists actually.

As I recall, Agni/Chagen was pretty much trying to be one.

Yeah, he was. I remember because I had to slap him more than a couple times over it.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 10:20:42 pm »
I remember laughing at him. And wondering why you bothered banging your head against that particular wall, Mechtaur.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:15 am »
A lot of these things read more like what someone would imagine themselves doing if they were an atheist more than what they've observed atheist people doing.

Whenever a theist says something about the "moral void" of atheism or that atheists don't have any reason/justification for being moral, as far as I can tell that means that they've disregarded any reason that any atheist may have to act moral (empathy, thinking of society/friends, family, etc) and will only accept as a justification for morality someone from one high to tell them how to act, that pretty much means that they've admitted that if it wasn't for their god belief, they would have no reason to act moral at all.

Yeah, projecting seems to be a serious issue with the more hateful fundies.  I think a good way of looking at it is pointing out the inherent organization that exists pretty much everywhere in nature, and explaining that human empathy is no less natural than a group of cells working together as a body.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 03:57:03 am »
I remember laughing at him. And wondering why you bothered banging your head against that particular wall, Mechtaur.

Mostly because I felt guilty for being that kind of insufferable prick back in high school.

Offline Atheism Exposed

• Neonate
  • Eternally Saved
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 12:01:19 pm »
It doesn't seem to be far off the mark really.  Despite all the protestations Atheism as a movement has always been about the hatred of God and believers.
Visit my Youtube channel for more videos and information :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9YnqI2le1uwXxWwQ6w

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 12:03:45 pm »
It doesn't seem to be far off the mark really.  Despite all the protestations Atheism as a movement has always been about the hatred of God and believers.
[Citation needed, troll]  :)

Distind

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 12:07:02 pm »
Just because we dislike you doesn't mean we hate believers, and it's hard to hate something you're at least reasonably sure doesn't exist. Now, Mistheists, those guys are assholes.

Offline Atheism Exposed

• Neonate
  • Eternally Saved
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:09 pm »
Just because we dislike you doesn't mean we hate believers, and it's hard to hate something you're at least reasonably sure doesn't exist. Now, Mistheists, those guys are assholes.

Believers don't exist?  That would be that famous Atheist logic at work again...?
Visit my Youtube channel for more videos and information :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9YnqI2le1uwXxWwQ6w

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 12:13:23 pm »

Believers don't exist?  That would be that famous Atheist logic at work again...?
Makes strawman arguments and he's illiterate to boot. Not a bad chew toy I suppose.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »

With clever wordplay like that, I have to ask. Are you the ghost of Oscar Wilde?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 12:26:46 pm »

2edgy4me, nice trolling bro

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »

If you want to continue with asinine statements like this, all I have to say is...bring it.

As Distind said, and which you so uncleverly and purposely misconstrued, we do not hate God.  We simply do not believe one (any) exists.  Do you hate Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy?  Thought not.

As for believers, most of my and my wife's best friends are Christians.  We get along quite well with them and we get together often at each others homes.  I do not hate them because they are believers, I just don't share their beliefs.

Oh, and atheism is not a "movement."  It is an ideological lack of belief in a theology or deity.  Get it right.

So, what else you got?
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.