Author Topic: Affording college just got harder  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: Affording college just got harder
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 06:47:09 pm »
Aside: The linked story from that article about the guy banned from taking the bar exam is outrageous.

That story honestly terrifies me.

What terrifies me is that the article refers to chiropractors as professionals.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »
Depends on what you mean by average, I guess. On average, college graduates earn more than those who only hold a high school diploma. Exactly how much more depends on whose estimates you view. I think this is a good read that fairly summarizes both sides of the argument.

That link also demonstrates why gross income is only one variable in the equation. It also shows that that one variable is dependent on other variables—specifically the major. Seems to me that there is a possibility that a handful of outlier majors could be bringing the average income up. Which is why you also need to look at the median case, as well as the mode. Only then can you even begin to get an idea of what is actually typical.

In any case, I certainly don’t hold with measuring the worth of anything solely by its financial value.

Er, I was using the link to recognize that both sides have a valid argument -- that while there are some instances where college isn't worth it, there are plenty of other instances where it most certainly is (going beyond financial value). Overall, it is dependent upon the individual's choices, goals, and capabilities (financially, mentally, and otherwise).
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:56 pm »
Depends on what you mean by average, I guess. On average, college graduates earn more than those who only hold a high school diploma. Exactly how much more depends on whose estimates you view. I think this is a good read that fairly summarizes both sides of the argument.

That link also demonstrates why gross income is only one variable in the equation. It also shows that that one variable is dependent on other variables—specifically the major. Seems to me that there is a possibility that a handful of outlier majors could be bringing the average income up. Which is why you also need to look at the median case, as well as the mode. Only then can you even begin to get an idea of what is actually typical.

In any case, I certainly don’t hold with measuring the worth of anything solely by its financial value.

Er, I was using the link to recognize that both sides have a valid argument -- that while there are some instances where college isn't worth it, there are plenty of other instances where it most certainly is (going beyond financial value). Overall, it is dependent upon the individual's choices, goals, and capabilities (financially, mentally, and otherwise).

I don’t deny that the answer to, “Is college worth it” is context sensitive. It just seems to me that that the context where the answer is “Yes” is getting distressingly narrow.
-A Pen Name

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »
You would think America would put more value on college educations in the middle of such a large reccesion.

You would think America would do a lot of things it doesn't. :/

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 11:32:10 pm »
You would think America would put more value on college educations in the middle of such a large reccesion.

You would think America would do a lot of things it doesn't. :/
So maybe we should drop this fantasy bullshit and start being surprised when this country does something good?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 08:46:06 am »

I don’t deny that the answer to, “Is college worth it” is context sensitive. It just seems to me that that the context where the answer is “Yes” is getting distressingly narrow.

A lot of that is rising tuition costs and unfair laws about student loans, coupled with slashed state education budgets, which affect universities as much as they do K-12 schools.

A college education is a wonderful thing, and everyone should have the chance to at least try for a degree.  However, for this to happen, there need to be low-cost options.  2-year community colleges used to be a wonderful option, but since they, too, rely on state education budgets, they're just as susceptible to skyrocketing tuition.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 12:51:14 pm »
I think some people are fairly ignorant of how useful community college can be. Some misconceptions I've heard are:

1. If you attend a community college, you're stuck there and unable to get a four-year degree.

2. It's just as expensive as a university.

3. Only deadbeats attend community college.

I know tuition varies, but if you find the right community college with low tuition, you save yourself a LOT of money and debt by earning your two-year degree there and then transferring it to a four-year college. It's a more relaxed atmosphere and a good place to complete your gen eds. While my community college probably contained a higher percentage of folks who would either not attend class or immediately drop the class, it still had folks who were serious about their degree. I wonder why more people don't take advantage of transfer programs.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »
I think some people are fairly ignorant of how useful community college can be. Some misconceptions I've heard are:

1. If you attend a community college, you're stuck there and unable to get a four-year degree.

2. It's just as expensive as a university.

3. Only deadbeats attend community college.

I know tuition varies, but if you find the right community college with low tuition, you save yourself a LOT of money and debt by earning your two-year degree there and then transferring it to a four-year college. It's a more relaxed atmosphere and a good place to complete your gen eds. While my community college probably contained a higher percentage of folks who would either not attend class or immediately drop the class, it still had folks who were serious about their degree. I wonder why more people don't take advantage of transfer programs.
Last I checked, LA Community College is $38/unit, and San Diego's is about the same. Compared to what CA State Universities cost, I'd say it's a huge benefit, especially if you don't know what you want to major in once you're out of high school. Or if you're like me, and want a certification in a skill that doesn't necessarily require 4yrs of study.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 12:05:43 am »
I went to a community college solely to save money.  I could easily have gotten into a state school, but the price was so high that I thought it wasn't worth it, and I got a very good education still.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 12:12:50 am »
I have two Humanities tertiary degrees; no job skills.

Now doing a business course at a for-profit college and about to start a short course for Photoshop at a community college...
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."