Author Topic: Shooting at Muhammad Cartoon Contest  (Read 15695 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Shooting at Muhammad Cartoon Contest
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 01:40:30 pm »
If you want a reasonable debate, make reasonable arguments. If you throw insults and and defend yourself by claiming that you were joking then you can't really expect others to take you seriously.

I see no point in having a reasonable debate with someone as intellectually dishonest as Nemo. Davedan made it amusing to read, at least.

Nemo, if you're going to vehemently criticize Islam for having the poisonous traits of a successful world religion, at least stop defending Judaism and Christianity and it won't seem so much like inter-religious tribalism.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 01:46:28 pm »
If you want a reasonable debate, make reasonable arguments. If you throw insults and and defend yourself by claiming that you were joking then you can't really expect others to take you seriously.

I see no point in having a reasonable debate with someone as intellectually dishonest as Nemo. Davedan made it amusing to read, at least.

Nemo, if you're going to vehemently criticize Islam for having the poisonous traits of a successful world religion, at least stop defending Judaism and Christianity and it won't seem so much like inter-religious tribalism.

Isn't Nemo an atheist?  Or am I misremembering?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 02:06:39 pm »
I think davedan & Nemo should take this argument to Flame & Burn. I'm out of this!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 05:52:08 pm »
Davedan, stop being a dick.

You made the cracker comment in the same sentence where you insinuated that Nemo is a racist so assuming that you consider Nemo's race to be relevant to the racism accusation is not some wild asspull, it really does seem to be your implication.

No, Askold, I won't.
I wasn't accusing him of being racist. I was accusing him of being an inconsistent hypocrite. True, I think he is a bigot. But Islam, like Christianity, is a broad church which includes many races. Nor does Nemo seek to limit his disdain to Arabs but is basically having a crack at 1 billion muslims wherever and of whatever ethnicity. Besides which I tried to have a rational debate and apart from his last post he parsed certain snippets and dodged the rest. Nor has he confronted the basic contradiction in his own belief which I have pointed out to him. It would seem he believes in some global conspiracy of muslims in the ala the 'Protocols of the Elders of Mecca'. He is also completely full of shit. And a condescending motherfucker at that. So no, like Ironchew I don't think there can be a truly rational debate, nor do I think he has any intellectual honesty.

Mostly I think he is a massive dickhead and a pea-hearted coward. So I'm going to continue ...

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 06:39:19 pm »
Your entire premise you immature dickhead is that because of Muhammed, Islam must be violent. Well fundamentalist jews consider that the pentateuch (or Torah/ I don't use Torah because I don't read hebrew) were the words of Moses himself. They believe intrinsically in Moses and that he was a genocidal maniac who murdered many of his own people and issued an edict to wipe out Amelek.
Well, since name calling is now welcomed in this, let me ask you, dhimmi, why do you always direct the conversation to Christianity or Judaism? Look at my comments on FSTDT. I am more than happy to respond to the stuff by Christian fundamentalists by attacking them and their faith and their Bible without feeling the need to deflect criticism by calling attention to Islam. But if I ever attack Islam...... well, the dhimmis like you should know.

Yeah, Moses was a monster if he existed. Now do tell me all about the thousands of deaths at the hands of Jewish fundamentalists in the modern world.

(nowhere in the Quran does Muhammed say that the jews must be sought and destroyed or that God would not abide any of them)
My second comment on this thread referenced a well known verse from the Quran about how Muslims should treat Jews.

Yet you accept that judaism can be religion of peace. Yet you are so fucking stupid that you don't see the inherent contradiction in your point. When it is pointed out you ignore it.
Judaism is peaceful in the modern world because the Jewish people don't follow their holy books. Yes, I said that. And Islam can be peaceful too, as long as Muslims don't follow their holy book, and don't try to emulate Muhammad. Does me saying this shock you? It does not contradict a single thing that I have ever said.

Nor do I accept for a moment that you have read 'the History of God' because otherwise you would well understand that Islam can be a peaceful religion and was essential for the theology that allowed judaism to become a peaceful religion.
It's been a few years, I'll admit, but your entire rationale seems to be me rolling my eyes at Armstrong gushing at how compassionate and enlightened Islam is. Sad thing is, at the time I believed it. The good news is that if I could change my views, there's hope for anyone.

Actually both Alexander and Julius Caesar had personality cults.
Had. If people in the modern world still bought into that, you'd better believe I'd be concerned.

To call Islam a personality cult is incredibly demeaning. Particularly so when Islam is not devoted to Muhammed but to god. "There is no God but God."
God will tell me, and I will tell you. Such notions make the human prophets indistinguishable from the gods they claim to speak for. That is true regardless of what the man's name is.

Whereas Christianity could easily be a personality cult of Jesus if anyone actually cared to emulate him (apart from the odd lunatic and St Francis of Assisi).
I have no objection to this, and never have.

Alexander actually believed that he was divine and Julius Caesar played up that he was descended from Venus, whether he really believed it or not.
See what I said about them above.

As for the Modern World - we would call Caesar a genocidal maniac (he killed one million people in europe), let alone what you would call the British invading India and Africa, Napoleon, the conquistiadors in America, the American settlers and their treatment of the Natives, the doctrine of Terra nullius in Australia.
Yes.

It's patently facile to compare the modern world with the past.
Literally every history person I've spoken to, on both sides of the political spectrum, acknowledges that Andrew Jackson was, simply put, a monster. But if there were people who wanted to promote him today as the ideal man, and continue his "policies", I would oppose that. If people want to promote the values of the past, those values will be compared with those of the modern world.

Apart from which stop selectively quoting part of what I said and eliding the rest.  It is both annoying and question dodging.
I didn't quote the first paragraph of your comment.  8) In all seriousness, would you like future responses to just include one big quote? Or even just start a new comment since repeated quoting can be an eyesore?

Finally I doubt any sought of reasoned debate will alter your anti-islamic feeling which is suspiciously similar to other anti-religious feelings, which all decry the religion of choice as being incapable of peace or honesty.
If you're bringing up the Antisemites, the people who are fearful of a minority religion that holds almost no political power outside of a single tiny country with a body count of almost nothing within the past few centuries, do tell me where the similarities are.

But please continue to be scared about something that doesn't exist in the way that you fear it and continue grouping 1 billion people around the world with small groups of extremists.
Tens of thousands of people rallied in Chechnya against Charlie Hebdo in response to the infamous shooting. That was just one protest, and there were others. These extremist groups don't include every single person who identifies as Muslim, but they most certainly are not small.

You are a sad pathetic and frightened man with the heart of a shriveled pea.

The fact that you insult me by using the term Dhimmi would be pathetic if it wasn't so hilarious. You also don't seem to understand your own argument, which if you recall (before you started ducking and weaving like Floyd Mayweather on a bad acid trip) was that Islam was inherently violent and due to its scripture could not be peaceful. When the absurdity of this was pointed out you got on your tractor and shifted the goalposts. You now say that they can't be peaceful unless they disbelieve the Quran. Yet you accept that fundamentalist jews who believe in a far more genocidal Moses (who have compared the Arabs to Amelek) can be peaceful. So your entire premise is frankly flatulent.

However I find it hilarious that you would call me a Dhimmi. The fact that you even think that's an insult means that you believe in some united global islamic Ummah. But there is no Islamic Catholic church. They are as riven and divided as the 100s of protestant christian churches. It also means you believe in an imminent islamic takeover of Australia (where I live)  - or perhaps more likely the USA or UK (depending on where you fester) which is fucking hilarious, in a chicken little sharia law is coming type of way.

Nothing you say shocks me. Mostly because you're an idiot.

There are 1000s of Americans who continue to promote living like and abiding by (there mostly imagined) ideals of the founding fathers.

I still don't believe you have read Karen Armstrong, nor do I believe you have read the Quran. Karen Armstrong the former Catholic Nun whose book you consider was good other than her 'gushing'  about Islam. Yet you have now been re-converted to what? The fear of the Muslim under the bed. You cabbage kneed hamster abuser.

As for your well known quote from the Quran. It's not in the Quran you deluded self abuser. Part of the reason I mentioned the Hadith was because that is where that quote comes from. The Hadith are the sayings of the prophet. Your quote comes from one of those Hadith. Unsurprisingly people tended to make them up to suit their own purposes. Nor are they held by (any of the many Islamic schools of thought) to be on the same level as the Quran because, even if the saying is reliable - and there always must be doubt - it was by definition not part of the 'recitation' of the Quran and was therefore not (on any view) the inspired word of God. The fact that you are unaware of this distinction tells me that apart from being a condescending sucker of syphilitic dog cock, that you don't know very much about this topic, are dishonest, and are probably parroting shit you read on the internet. 

I was bringing up Anti-Semites (which includes arabs and hence Islam) but also anti-papism, anti-protestantism and anything else you care to name. Whenever the person is categorised as the 'other' there are a series of myths raised about them which because humans are human are surprisingly similar. They cannot be peaceful. They abduct our children. They are sexually perverted. I'm surprised you didn't say that Muslims drink the blood of infidels. It is stupid and you are stupid.

Thousands of people cheered on the death of Osama bin Laden. No one in the US batted an eyelid about cruise missiles destroying a sudanese pharmaceutical factory while they were under sanction condemning 1000s or more people to death through lack of medicine. But you know what most of that is irrelevant to your main point anyway. You know your incredibly facile and stupid main point.

This is one of the few times that you did respond to most of what I said, rather than simply taking snippets. But you are too much or an ignorant an undereducated dickhead to acknowledge that. You know very well I wasn't complaining about you breaking up the post. It is too hard to argue honestly I guess.

Finally the reasons I use Christianity and Judaism as a the counterpoint is that they worship exactly the same God as Islam and are part of the same heritage. They are remarkably similar and yet only one is so inherently broken in your view that it cannot be lived with. Also to be honest (something you are unfamiliar with) I know much more about the abrahamic faiths than I do about Hinduism, Zorastrianism, Bahai, animism, sikhism or bhuddism.

Anyway to conclude. You are wrong. You are a deficient human being. You are scared of something that doesn't exist. Here's hoping your bile is limited to pointless arguing and sniping on the internet and that you never have more control over anything than a carpark toll booth.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:21 pm »
And this shit, boys and girls, is why so many folks have quietly left the forums... but please, keep having your little shitfits back and forth.  Eventually, these forums will be gone because Krad will need donations and the only ones left will be you raving lunatics.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:48 pm »
I don't know priestling, it seems to me that there was always much more friction back in the day.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 11:51:40 pm »
Ironchew, since you seem to be capable of civility, I will ask you this: aside from saying that Christianity and Judaism are not as bad as Islam, when have I ever defended them? That's more like damning them with faint praise than anything else. In fact, if you look over at FSTDT, you will see on numerous occasions I have responded to fundies by attacking the Bible and the character of Jesus/Yahweh as portrayed in the Bible. Take note that when doing so, I did not feel any urge to change the topic to Islam, nor have I ever been criticized for not deflecting in that manner, except by Christian fundies, but I can see a conflict of interest there. By contrast, if I ever discuss Islam without including it in the category of "all religion", I will be screamed at repeatedly as a bigot. Now, do I have harsher words for Islam than Christianity? Of course. Islam is the religion that beheads cartoonists. Islam is the religion whose critics need armed bodyguards just to sleep at night. If the situation were to somehow reverse itself, I would happily criticize Christianity with the same energy I criticize Islam.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2015, 12:25:32 am »
And this shit, boys and girls, is why so many folks have quietly left the forums... but please, keep having your little shitfits back and forth.  Eventually, these forums will be gone because Krad will need donations and the only ones left will be you raving lunatics.

Sad but true.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2015, 12:26:20 am »
I'll try to keep this one short.

I said Islam was inherently violent because of the Quran. Later, I said that Muslims could be peaceful as long as they don't follow the Quran. I see no contradiction there. The second actually follows from the first.

Words change over time. Today dhimmi typically refers to someone who takes a submissive or apologetic view of Islam, and you, Dave, most definitely fit the latter, proudly I suspect. As it happens, I don't think Islam represents an immediate threat to the existence of Western civilization. That's why I'm not a fan of the neoconservative foreign policy of the current and previous presidents of the United States (where I "fester", as you call it).

Considering the context of when I asked "does this shock you", you admit, then, that I do not have any sort of blinkers when it comes to Judaism? After all, I straight up said that practitioners of Judaism are peaceful because they don't follow the Torah, and you declared boldly that you are not at all shocked that I would say that.

Yeah, I know that. I have a bunch of them in my own family. And my uncle (one who toys with Birther nonsense), when pressed, did admit the founding fathers had flaws, like the whole slavery thing.

I disagree with an author. Therefore I never really read her. You sound like Ray Comfort when he insists that atheists like me never really read the Book of John. And I said it's been a few years. Calm yourself before you accuse others of being Chicken Littles.

I'll admit that attributing a Hadith quote to the Quran was an honest mistake. There's plenty of nice stuff in the Quran too.

Well, I agree, saying Muslims are "sexually perverted", whatever that means, would make me pretty stupid, as would pulling a Helen Lovejoy and screeching about the children. Note that I have not done that, but instead am basing my critique of Islam off of beheadings and violence that actually takes place.

Wait..... are you objecting to people cheering on the death of bin Laden? I mean, I didn't personally feel any feeling of joy, but seriously?

Yeah, I didn't copy every word you had. If you feel that I dishonestly quote mined you, explain what I left out.

You're right. The art exhibit that this thread is all about was shot up by nothing at all.

Finally, in your response to askold, you made a crucial error: you acknowledged that my opposition to Islam is indeed against Islam and not against Arabs. You've been creative in your attacks against me thus far, I will admit, but you messed up when it comes to my personal berserk button.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2015, 02:27:14 am »
You retconning, backsliding, no principled dodging fuck, we both know what you meant when you called me a dhimmi and expected it to be an insult.

Oh and what is your personal berserk button. A nuanced understanding of the differences between Arabs and Islam?

Edit: To be entirely clear - I am not suggesting that you didn't really read Karen Armstrong, I'm saying you never read her at all. Nor do I accept that attributing a Hadith to the Quran was an honest mistake. I think you are a lying douchebag.

Besides which I'm not the muslim under the bed, sharia law chicken little you scared pathetic person.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:47:10 am by davedan »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2015, 07:29:01 am »
I thought it's the other way around. Heated arguments about serious topics used to be a pretty regular thing around here, with the expectation that anyone posting here is thick skinned enough to handle it. Nowadays, such things are a rare occurrence, with the majority of posts being about video games, movies, memes and inane little anecdotes about your life. Honestly, I'd point to that being the reason most of the old timers have wandered off, rather than the fact that once commonplace arguments still very occasionally happen at all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 08:27:14 am »
TL;DR: We became more about da fee-fees and da poo-poos and less about smacking the shit outta stupid people.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 10:58:13 am »
What Ravy and Art said

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 11:53:33 am »
You retconning, backsliding, no principled dodging fuck, we both know what you meant when you called me a dhimmi and expected it to be an insult.

Oh and what is your personal berserk button. A nuanced understanding of the differences between Arabs and Islam?

Edit: To be entirely clear - I am not suggesting that you didn't really read Karen Armstrong, I'm saying you never read her at all. Nor do I accept that attributing a Hadith to the Quran was an honest mistake. I think you are a lying douchebag.

Besides which I'm not the muslim under the bed, sharia law chicken little you scared pathetic person.
When have I ever suggested that I believe that the American political institutions and political culture are going to soon be under the control of Islam? I have noted the global threat of Islam, but as a large scale law enforcement issue, not the topic of an airport political thriller. If you're going to try cold reading, it helps to know your subject.

.................. did I speak in riddles or something? My berserk button is when people suggest that opposition to Islam (a religion) is somehow equal to bigotry against Arabs (a race). Since most of your posts are personal attacks, I noted that you missed your chance to press that berserk button.

So basically, if I don't agree with one of your favorite authors, I never ever read her. Such a thing is impossible. Got it. Ray Comfort would be proud of you. I realize by this point that I could paste an entire page from History of God and you would still deny that I read it once, so there's no point in discussing this topic.

As for your last paragraph, I can't really reply to that since there's no substance to reply to. Were I better at mudslinging, I might have a little something. Perhaps I should work on that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:55:59 am by Nemo »