Author Topic: Firefighter lets a man die  (Read 1646 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Firefighter lets a man die
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:36:52 pm »
Yeah morbid eh?

A firefighter, working as a dispatcher hung up on a lady trying to save her friend because she cursed at him.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-mexico-firefighter-911-caller_55b791b4e4b0224d8833cef0?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

An investigation is underway after a New Mexico firefighter dismissively hung up on a caller reporting a shooting that led to the death of a local teenager.

Firefighter Matthew Sanchez was on dispatch duty last month when he got a call about the shooting of Albuquerque high schooler Jaydon Chavez-Silver, 17. The teen was at a house with around 10 other people when someone shot at the house five times, KRQE reports, striking and eventually killing Chavez-Silver.

In audio first obtained by KRQE last Monday, a 911 caller, clearly distraught, can be heard saying she is trying to give the victim CPR .

Sanchez asks if the boy is breathing. The caller says "barely," and can be heard encouraging Chavez-Silver to "stay with me."

"Is he breathing?" Sanchez asks again.

“He’s barely breathing," the caller replies. "How many times do I have to fucking tell you?”

“OK, you know what, ma’am?" Sanchez responds. "You can deal with it yourself. I’m not gonna deal with this, OK?”

"No, my friend is dying!" the caller says before Sanchez hangs up.

A spokeswoman for the Albuquerque Fire Department told HuffPost that the department will not be commenting until it concludes its investigation of the incident. It is unclear when that will be. In the meantime, Sanchez has been placed on administrative desk duty, the spokeswoman said.

Oh you can't deal with this?  You can't deal with someone in distress cursing at you?  Well fuck you buddy.  Hope they nail you for negligent homicide.

Ironbite-or depraved indifference.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Firefighter lets a man die
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:39:16 pm »
Why not both?  Depraved, negligently indifferent homicide.  His sentence shall be being duct-taped to a wall for the rest of his natural life.  With itching powder in his underwear.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:52:07 pm »
What a piece of shit.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:39:18 am »
What a heinous horse's ass.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:24 pm »
How did somebody that sensitive manage to become a firefighter?

You go into burning buildings and are a first responder to all manner of horrific accidents but someone saying fuck upsets you so much it makes you hang up on them? What a fucking looser.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:42:19 am »
You'd think emergency responders and dispatchers would be used to being cursed at.  I mean, sometimes the person you're helping, or on the other end of the line is scared shitless and/or in great pain or shock and not exactly thinking straight, and minutes seem like hours.  Of course they're going to take out their fear and frustration on someone.  The cuss cannon is pretty much spinning around and firing at everyone at that point.  9 times out of 10 the one saying the things doesn't mean a word of it.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:26:24 am »
As a notice, this is an old version of the corrected article. The person was actually a 911 dispatcher, not a firefighter. But it's still horrifying.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:56:19 am »
Where do they find these people? Why do they bother becoming dispatchers.

I know they're often overworked and under-payed but this is no excuse!

There a bunch of these cases of "Dispatchers Behaving Badly". Are these folks hired off the street? Any idiot would know that it would be a high-stress, often thankless job. These idiots have no excuse.

Sometimes I think sociopaths join the job so they can play "God". Bastards!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:31:04 am »
As a notice, this is an old version of the corrected article. The person was actually a 911 dispatcher, not a firefighter. But it's still horrifying.

I was going to ask if this was an old story or if there were more than one incident of these... Hopefully this has been used as an example for 911 dispatchers how NOT to do their job.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!