Author Topic: Anything Good Happen Today?  (Read 828075 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Anything Good Happen Today?
« Reply #1560 on: February 05, 2013, 10:57:39 pm »
To be honest I'm not that fond of the whole "Let's bring Maul back" stuff, but hey if Boba Fett can survive falling into the Sarlacc, then Maul can survive being cut in half, and surviving on hatred. Especially if it leads to Palpatine deciding to open up a can of whoop ass on him and his half brother... That being said Palpatine IS the Best Character of the whole saga...

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1561 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:00 am »
To be honest I'm not that fond of the whole "Let's bring Maul back" stuff, but hey if Boba Fett can survive falling into the Sarlacc, then Maul can survive being cut in half, and surviving on hatred. Especially if it leads to Palpatine deciding to open up a can of whoop ass on him and his half brother... That being said Palpatine IS the Best Character of the whole saga...

See, Fett surviving the Sarlacc is believable because he was still in Mandalorian armor and was a walking armory when he fell in. Darth Maul? Not so much. Even his "pure hatred" would have hardly kept him from surviving a landing into water so far down the pit that you couldn't even see anything but black. The Force hasn't been demonstrated to have so much power, especially for a relative newbie, that it can save your body from being utterly pulverized AFTER being bisected at the waist.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #1562 on: February 06, 2013, 03:26:12 am »
Also the Sarlac pit is meant to slowly digest you over 100 of years of torment so - escape is kind of on the cards for a guy covered in armour with a jet pack.

As for maul surviving a 100 m odd fall with only half a body. Surely he would have bled to death. Even presuming the lightsaber instantly cauterised his wound the impact of the fall if not killing him would certainly have opened up the wounds causing him to bleed to death. Not to mention shock.

However I understand that even palpatine comes back but at least that is resurrection by way of a 'perfect' clone rather than being fucking unkillable.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1563 on: February 06, 2013, 03:27:15 am »

See, Fett surviving the Sarlacc is believable because he was still in Mandalorian armor and was a walking armory when he fell in. Darth Maul? Not so much. Even his "pure hatred" would have hardly kept him from surviving a landing into water so far down the pit that you couldn't even see anything but black. The Force hasn't been demonstrated to have so much power, especially for a relative newbie, that it can save your body from being utterly pulverized AFTER being bisected at the waist.

Wait...why are you assuming Maul is a relative newbie when it comes to the Force?  Where, anywhere, did Lucas say this?

Ironbite-Citation bloody needed bub.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1564 on: February 06, 2013, 03:38:00 am »
Wait...why are you assuming Maul is a relative newbie when it comes to the Force?  Where, anywhere, did Lucas say this?

As I recall, he was the sith equivalent of a padawan (to Sidious, if memory serves), so it's pretty likely. That and his Mad Lightsaber Skillz suggests that pretty much all of his training has been in that, while his force powers were of secondary concern.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1565 on: February 06, 2013, 05:27:17 am »

As I recall, he was the sith equivalent of a padawan (to Sidious, if memory serves), so it's pretty likely. That and his Mad Lightsaber Skillz suggests that pretty much all of his training has been in that, while his force powers were of secondary concern.

This is correct. According to Wookiepedia's sources with the dates, he was only 22 when he appeared on Naboo and got bisected, which is about the exact same age as Anakin (who was noted for being unusually strong in the Force). In The Wrath of Darth Maul, he was actually sent to an academy to learn assassination and was told not to use any of his Force abilities except for his heightened senses. Most of his training consisted of making him a deadly fighter and encouraging his rage and anger.

Either way, there's been very few times in canon that I can recall where a Jedi has been shown to use the Force to outright prevent massive physical trauma. The pit was so deep that you couldn't even see the bottom; even if it was nothing but deep water, the height was almost definitely above 100 meters (if I remember correctly, the height at which you're almost definitely suffering fatal injury). If the impact alone wasn't enough to kill him, it would have broken his arms and left him unable to swim, or knocked him unconscious so he could drown.

To make matters worse, all the sources I can find call the pit the melting pit. That doesn't bode well for the contents.

Guy in power armor loaded with close range weapons falling into a giant monster and blowing his way out? I can buy that. Guy getting sliced in half and falling into a pit hundreds and hundreds of meters deep and surviving long enough to get dumped on the junkyard of another planet hours later? Nah.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1566 on: February 06, 2013, 12:32:23 pm »
It's the Star Wars Universe, Fuck Logic.

However I understand that even palpatine comes back but at least that is resurrection by way of a 'perfect' clone rather than being fucking unkillable.

Palps does come back, he has a shitload of clones growing on Byss, but he comes back as more of a Caligula rather than the chessmaster, I know and love.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1567 on: February 06, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »
I have a week off of school next week thanks to Mardi Gras (A sorta holiday that I don't care for much)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #1568 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12:30 am »
I just found out I get to go to Gallifrey One, the biggest Doctor Who convention in America.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1569 on: February 08, 2013, 12:55:25 am »
Our poster's out! I'm the zombie in the denim jacket in the back, on the left.

And our premier is selling out so fast, we needed to open a third screening room to handle all the people.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #1570 on: February 08, 2013, 03:16:00 am »
So, yesterday, my Middle Eastern History professor met with each of his students individually, to go over how we're doing in class. And he had nothing but good things to say. He really likes how well read I am (it's gotten to the point that when he asks a question, he only calls on me if nobody else knows the answer).

Also, if you have any interest in Middle Eastern history or politics, I highly recommend you watch this documentary on the Six Day War.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #1571 on: February 08, 2013, 04:09:30 pm »
I'm about to have a house go under contract. So unless something odd happens I'll be a homeowner in 1-2 months.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #1572 on: February 08, 2013, 08:27:00 pm »
I have several upcoming/new albums on pre-order that I'll be getting over the next couple of months, and I got the first one today! :)
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1573 on: February 08, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »
TV show I did is airing in 14 days!

I mean, it's airing in Europe so I need to learn how to hack the Italian Disney Channel over there to see it. But TV!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #1574 on: February 11, 2013, 12:34:52 am »
So this technically happened yesterday, but I did not have computer access, but I finally got to play Soma San Diego. For those of you not familiar, Soma is the metal venue for San Diego county. I lived up the street for it throughout all of high school, and spent many weekends and untold amounts of money there with my best friends, moshing to my favorite bands of the time. It's one of the big things that expired me to become a musician, so being able to play there, especially when my band isn't even a year old yet, is a dream come true. The venue didn't charge us for tickets we didn't sell like most do, they had stage hands to help us get our gear on and off stage, and some of my best friends (As well as parents, grandmother, and first guitar teacher) were in the audience. And, after the show, this one guy that was up against the front rail the whole time pulled me aside to tell me what a great player I am and ask for pointers to get better. It was weird but incredibly flattering. To top it off, the room was filled with people, and they all loved our music. Last night was easily the best show I've ever played. I can die happy now.

ETA for today things: In an attempt to be more outwardly appreciative and affectionate towards my friends, I wrote three of them letters. One of them was sent to Texas, since I can't exactly get there myself, while I hand delivered the other two tonight, along with a rose for each (all three of them are women, if that wasn't obvious). I don't mean anything by the timing, but let's be honest, flowers are easy to get right now. Also, something in my head was insisting that this was the only rational response to... I still don't really know what made me do this, but the reactions thus far have been well worth it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:08:32 am by Her3tiK »
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.