Author Topic: Legalizing Prostitution  (Read 4439 times)

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Legalizing Prostitution
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 05:28:11 am »
Count me in favor of this becoming the norm nationwide. Maybe I'll even be optimistic and allow myself to believe that it would curtail human trafficking demands.

...a guy can hope.

It can probably curtail some but not all. Keep in mind that human trafficking can still target markets interested in illegal activities, such as pedophiles and similar things.

As much as I like the idea of legalizing brothels, I would also like to point out that it's not as simple as just legalizing it. When you legalize something like that, you also need to put into place guidelines for a system that's never really existed before up until that point.

To be fair, there's a depressing amount of trafficking and exploitation in legitimate occupations, as well :(

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 08:39:45 am »
I wonder if this would perhaps make things worse for illegal prostitution.
We pretty much know that legalizing prostitution will not get rid of the problem with the human trafficking and the exploitation. However with a legal industry, a large number of customers would prefer to visit the legal and safe brothels. The problem comes in when one regulates and taxes something the price increases, probably not so much of an issue, but in effect that will mean that the only way for illegal places to compete would be to offer a much cheaper and much riskier service.

For the poor women trapped in prostitution this would be disastrous. I wouldn't be surprised if their life expectancy dropped by half at least. The up side is that hopefully the lower income and decreased demand for illegal services will lower the rates of human trafficking abductions and other horrible crimes that supply them.

I think legalizing prostitution is the best course of action, but with that in mind give a thought for the "suck for a buck" women.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 08:44:27 am »
Ahh but that price increase wouldn't actually be on the legal side of things but on the illegal side of things.  With legalized prostitution, you'd have a price cap to contend with while illegal prostitution would be going with extremes both high and low to even compete.

Ironbite-but I'm no economics guy so...

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 11:25:41 am »
We pretty much know that legalizing prostitution will not get rid of the problem with the human trafficking and the exploitation. However with a legal industry, a large number of customers would prefer to visit the legal and safe brothels. The problem comes in when one regulates and taxes something the price increases, probably not so much of an issue, but in effect that will mean that the only way for illegal places to compete would be to offer a much cheaper and much riskier service.

For the poor women trapped in prostitution this would be disastrous. I wouldn't be surprised if their life expectancy dropped by half at least. The up side is that hopefully the lower income and decreased demand for illegal services will lower the rates of human trafficking abductions and other horrible crimes that supply them.

I think legalizing prostitution is the best course of action, but with that in mind give a thought for the "suck for a buck" women.

On the other hand, there would likely be less women trapped by their pimps if they lived in an area where it was legalized. One of the biggest reasons women have difficulty escaping abusive pimps and clients is because not only is prostitution viewed with disdain at best by society, but they'd effectively be admitting to a crime if they revealed any of the abusive behavior to the authorities. If prostitution was legalized, they'd actually be able to find legal recourse to stop abusive activity without being jailed themselves.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »

On the other hand, there would likely be less women trapped by their pimps if they lived in an area where it was legalized. One of the biggest reasons women have difficulty escaping abusive pimps and clients is because not only is prostitution viewed with disdain at best by society, but they'd effectively be admitting to a crime if they revealed any of the abusive behavior to the authorities. If prostitution was legalized, they'd actually be able to find legal recourse to stop abusive activity without being jailed themselves.

And in the case of the brothels being unionized, I'd imagine they'd make a big show out of supporting shelters for abused women.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »
The advertising would be great!
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:02 am »
Count me in favor of this becoming the norm nationwide. Maybe I'll even be optimistic and allow myself to believe that it would curtail human trafficking demands.

...a guy can hope.

It can probably curtail some but not all. Keep in mind that human trafficking can still target markets interested in illegal activities, such as pedophiles and similar things.

As much as I like the idea of legalizing brothels, I would also like to point out that it's not as simple as just legalizing it. When you legalize something like that, you also need to put into place guidelines for a system that's never really existed before up until that point.

That's an important point. Definitely regulation and good health services to prevent the spread of STDs (which also protects the employees. I think HIV is a pretty big health hazard to have your daily job.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:16 am »
The advertising would be great!
Might inject some life back into the printing industry. I'm picturing flyers, catalogs, direct mailing campaigns...

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 01:25:43 am »
The amount of support this has in the comments surprises me.  The sexist comments throughout do not.

Yeah, some of us notice that laws designed to suppress basic human urges don't work. They only create underground industries that are far less safe for everyone involved.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 01:20:19 pm »

...a guy can hope.

Obviously it's not as simple as just legalizing it, but Nevada has an effective set of regulations that, at the very least, serve as a starting point for us.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades