Author Topic: Bowe Bergdahl's Release  (Read 4572 times)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Bowe Bergdahl's Release
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:49:24 am »
Didn't see any topics on that, so I may as well start one.

So the gist of this is that an American soldier was held captive by the Taliban in Afghanistan for 5 years. There have been attempts to spread more awareness of this in that time, which finally resulted in the US exchanging 5 Gitmo prisoners for Bergdahl.

You'd think there would be celebration, but instead we find heavy criticism of President Obama over the exchange, as well as accusations that Bergdahl is a deserter or traitor. It has gotten so bad that his parents are receiving death threats.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Bowe Bergdahl's Release
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:56:38 am »
And as I said the last time I said something about it, $20 says that had a Republican done the exact same thing, he'd be getting praised for bringing an American hero home.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:07:28 am »
I like how all my conservative relatives are posting crap about how great Reagan was. I'm like... You guys do know he helped fund the Taliban, right? You KNOW he liked them?
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:32:37 am »
I like how all my conservative relatives are posting crap about how great Reagan was. I'm like... You guys do know he helped fund the Taliban, right? You KNOW he liked them?
The Taliban was just one of several resistance groups Reagan funded.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:14 am »
I actually give two shits at this point. Obama said something along the lines of all soldiers have to be returned home with no exceptions, and he refused to apologise or second guess the decision.

I like that
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:08:47 am »
Screw Goebbels News and the bloated offspring of Micheal Wallace.

After five years of captivity, a young man comes home to his parents from the Afgani Taliban. Only to be at the mercy of the American Taliban, who are now calling for Bergdahl's head and demeaning his family at every turn. I'm honestly worried for the poor boy's life at this rate.   

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:51:00 am »
For the first time in history, an American soldier returning from war has been spat on and accused of treason. And it was by the guys who wanted to send him there in the first place.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:55:32 am »
For the first time in history, an American soldier returning from war has been spat on and accused of treason. And it was by the guys who wanted to send him there in the first place.
"First time"?  Apparently, you've never heard about the treatment Vietnam vets got.  Doves called them "murderers", and hawks accused them of embarrassing the country.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:02:02 am »
"First time"?  Apparently, you've never heard about the treatment Vietnam vets got.  Doves called them "murderers", and hawks accused them of embarrassing the country.
Please, don't get Fred started on the Vietnam War. He has, shall we say, a history...

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:55:50 am »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:56:26 am »

Ok, I had heard about the doves thing before, but I've only ever heard of hawks either ignoring them or lionizing them. Details, please?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »

Ok, I had heard about the doves thing before, but I've only ever heard of hawks either ignoring them or lionizing them. Details, please?
Well, just as with the doves, it depended on the hawks.  But anyway, some hawks considered returning Vietnam vets a political embarrassment.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:14:28 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 01:21:31 pm »

Well, just as with the doves, it depended on the hawks.  But anyway, some hawks considered returning Vietnam vets a political embarrassment.

Sounds like a case of "With you shield or on it" thinking.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »

Sounds like a case of "With you shield or on it" thinking.
Sometimes, yes.  Other times, the reasoning was more complex.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:35 pm »
The Army has to fully investigate how Bergdahl became a POW and how he served under captivity so that if he served honorably, he can be awarded the POW medal and receive benefits from the government for being a POW for five years.  Also, soldiers from his unit, former and still serving, are coming and speaking out against Bowe Bergdahl.  Why they would do that is particularly interesting because why would a group of soldiers come forward and willingly lie like that?  Bergdahl isn't a high ranking member of the military now nor when he disappeared, and he isn't a politician running for office.

What turned the situation into a debacle was this:

1.) The Army had reports since 2010 that Bergdahl willingly left his post in Afghanistan.  So early on in Bergdahl's disappearance and captivity, the Army was aware that they may have been dealing with a deserter.
2.) Six soldiers in Bergdahl's unit died in a search and rescue mission for Bergdahl after the Army knew of the information that Bergdahl may have willingly left his post.
3.) President Obama did not discuss the trade agreement with the Taliban to members of the Intelligence committee in congress before the trade took place, raising ire among both Democrats and Republicans.
4.) The whole "We don't negotiate with terrorists" ideal that Americans pride themselves with was blatantly violated and trampled on. (Although, it should be noted that the U.S. has actually negotiated with terrorists before to release innocent civilians, POWs, and even spies in the past by both Republican and Democrat administrations.)
5.) We traded Bergdahl for five deeply entrenched Taliban party members who have now reported to local media in Qatar expressing intent to rejoin the fight for the Taliban against the West.  This poses not just a new threat to the U.S., but to the rest of the Western world.
6.) We have also not only given the Taliban a sense of legitimacy for listening and negotiating with them, but we have also gave them incentive to kidnap other soldiers in hope for more trades for prisoners in Guantanamo.

I hope this clears up why there is so much Bergdahl hate floating around.  I will agree though that giving death threats to Bergdahl's hometown for setting up a "welcome home" celebration is uncalled for.  Like everyone else, we just need the facts to determine what actually happened throughout this entire ordeal.