Author Topic: Using recess power, Obama putting Cordray in job (Updated)  (Read 5751 times)

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
And now the republican response
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 01:07:41 pm »
Rep. Diane Black (Tenn.) and 71 other House Republicans introduced a nonbinding resolution today voicing concern over President Barack Obama’s recess appointment of four administration nominees last week.

“It’s astounding to me that the president is claiming these are recess appointments and within his authority, when Congress was not in fact in recess,” Black said. “These appointments are an affront to the Constitution. No matter how you look at this, it doesn’t pass the smell test. I hope the House considers my resolution as soon as we return to Washington so we can send a message to President Obama.” [emphasis added]

http://www.rollcall.com/news/house_republicans_file_resolution_on_recess_picks-211422-1.html?pos=hatxt

that's right.  The republicans in congress will show Obama that they were not in recess....  just as soon as they get back from recess.

there is not enough face palm for this
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Using recess power, Obama putting Cordray in job
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »
Oh.......oh dear.

Ironbite-I'll be in a corner nursing my head

Offline Kisare

• Neonate
  • Professional Yaoi Fangirl!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 10:45:41 pm »
*laughs* way to go Obama! About bloody time he found his balls!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:27 am »
At this point, virtually any underhanded trick or clever scam (within the law) would be legitimate. This is not normal politics- this is war, minus the shooting. If the Dems lose, America dies. If the liberals lose the battle for the Democratic party, America dies. Simple as that.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 02:16:50 pm »
Update

President Barack Obama had the power to make recess appointments last week when Congress was taking a brief break, the U.S. Justice Department said in a memo released after Republican complaints of a “power grab.”

The Constitution and precedent support the conclusion that the appointments can be made when lawmakers hold pro forma sessions in which no business is conducted, according to the 23- page memo written by Assistant Attorney General Virginia Seitz and released today.

Republican lawmakers criticized Obama’s decision to name a consumer financial watchdog, Richard Cordray, and three National Labor Relations Board members on Jan. 4 during the congressional recess. They asked the Justice Department to provide information on whether it offered advice about the legality of the appointments.

The Justice Department memo, to the counsel to the president, was dated Jan. 6 and said it was putting in writing and elaborating on advice the department previously provided. The conclusion was provided orally prior to the appointments, according to an administration official, who wasn’t authorized to speak about the matter publicly.

source - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-12/obama-has-recess-appointment-power-justice-department-says.html

Well looks like it has been confirmed that the repubs can only bawww about Obama's appointments but nothing else as the DOJ made its official statement siding with Obama.  Another sad day for republicans and another wave of republican tears predicted.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Using recess power, Obama putting Cordray in job (Updated)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
THE DOJ HAS A LIBERAL BIAS!  WE HERE IN THE HOUSE ARE ANNOUNCING THE CREATION OF A SPECIAL BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT THAT'S ONLY ANSWERABLE TO US.  AND BY THAT WE MEAN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!/said in caps because of the crying going on in the background.

Ironbite-I honestly expect them to do something like this...they're that butt hurt about it.