Author Topic: Automation and unemployment  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
Automation and unemployment
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:07:31 pm »
I found this blog a while back. It's written by an economist who is concerned that the increasing abilities of automatons are starting to, or are about to, have an impact on employment.

Econfuture

Considering that unemployment can cause big changes in governments I thought it would be a good idea to put it here.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Re: Automation and unemployment
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
Looks like we shouldn't be worrying about Skynet killing us rather than taking jobs?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »
Interesting stuff. Don't think it'll do away the IT industry anytime soon, though.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:13:34 pm »
There's only so much you can advance in job automation before you reach something that requires solving an AI-complete problem (such as natural language understanding). And by the time we have true AI, jobs will not be a pressing concern (possibly because we're all dead)
Σא

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:07:02 am »
There's only so much you can advance in job automation before you reach something that requires solving an AI-complete problem (such as natural language understanding). And by the time we have true AI, jobs will not be a pressing concern (possibly because we're all dead)

He knows that.

I’ve never said there will be “no jobs.” I’ve only said that technology may ultimately eliminate the bulk of routine jobs. But that will nonetheless result in major problems. History suggests that the 25% unemployment the United States experienced during the Great Depression is probably pretty close to the limit of what a democratic society can withstand.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:28:23 am »
I don't think automation is the reason for why there's a lack of job and I don't think it will mean there won't be jobs in the future. If we don't have increased demand alongside increased potential for productivity, sure, but is that really reasonable given our love of cheap shit? And even then there is nothing saying we absolutely have to stick to a 40 hour workweek. Wages cannot be dropped (yearly wages, not hourly wages) but due to greater productivity there is no reason not to pay an employee the equivalent of doing a 40 hour week in 1990 for working 30 hours if said employee is as productive as the 1990 employee due to gains in technology*. There is also the point that as one sector shrinks another sector can grow. It might require retraining and a different approach to education, but this is doable (and has been done in the past).

*adjusted for inflation, of course.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:36:38 am »
There is also the point that as one sector shrinks another sector can grow. It might require retraining and a different approach to education, but this is doable (and has been done in the past).

And ultimately this is what automation will do to the workforce; it will require more skilled workers as unskilled jobs are increasingly taken up by machines. This also increases the demand for higher education subsequently, so if governments are not smart enough to recognize that an expanded higher education network (or alternatively a vocational training network) is required for the next generation to compete in a complex universe (I'm looking at you, teabaggers), politicians don't deserve to make noise if their country falls behind.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:38:56 pm »

He knows that.

I’ve never said there will be “no jobs.” I’ve only said that technology may ultimately eliminate the bulk of routine jobs. But that will nonetheless result in major problems. History suggests that the 25% unemployment the United States experienced during the Great Depression is probably pretty close to the limit of what a democratic society can withstand.
Ah, thanks. I guess that's what I get for not reading the whole thing.
Σא