Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 388042 times)

Online dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2016, 05:09:01 pm »
It gets better.  He legally can't lease the building if President.

Unless Congress consents, and I'm not sure if a motion to consent can be filibustered in the Senate.

EDIT:

Meanwhile, Trump on Twitter:

Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!

Sure, y'know, let's just ignore Texas v. Johnson and United States v. Eichman.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:41:15 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »
Like I said earlier, Trump's no more in favor of free speech than the PC crowd. And considering this comment, I think he's against it even more than them. Outright calling for the government to punish expression? That's setting off alarm bells for me.

But on the other hand, at least it's easier to deal with government censorship. So I'm kind of torn about who's worse.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2016, 10:59:51 pm »
Meanwhile, Deutsche Bank did a study on wealth inequality in the US over the last 100 years. The results were... disturbing.

(Image is hidden because it's large.)

(click to show/hide)

The top 0.1% of households in the US (top 0.1%, not top 5% or top 1%, top 0.1%) currently have almost as much wealth as the bottom 90%. The last time that happened was in the run-up to the Great Depression.

When did the gap grow in favour of the bottom 90%? When the New Deal was in effect, the "Golden Age of Economic Expansion". Strict banking regulations, strong unions, high top marginal tax rates, high corporate tax rates...

When did it begin to decline? When Reaganomics fully kicked in, followed by the policies of Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr., and Obama.

The US is heading for a crash that will make 2008 look like a love tap.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2016, 01:21:35 am »
So basically a full on depression is incoming, with how pro business Trump is. History always seems to repeat itself.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2016, 01:25:55 am »
So basically a full on depression is incoming, with how pro business Trump is. History always seems to repeat itself.

The question is whether the Democratic Party can find an(other) FDR-esque candidate to sweep Trump out of office in 2020.

EDIT:

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/28/texas-republican-elector-resigns-over-trump/

Art Sisneros, a Texas elector, has resigned rather than vote for Trump or be a faithless elector.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:31:17 am by dpareja »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2016, 04:39:16 am »
...But the person chosen to replace Sisneros has to vote for Trump anyway am I right? So this doesn't really change anything, it's just one more person protesting against Trump.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2016, 04:58:47 am »
...But the person chosen to replace Sisneros has to vote for Trump anyway am I right? So this doesn't really change anything, it's just one more person protesting against Trump.

Nope, nothing in Texas law obligates electors to vote for any particular person.

Sisneros resigned because he felt he could not in good conscience vote for Trump or vote for someone else after having pledged to the Texas Republican Party to vote for Trump (or maybe the eventual nominee, I'm not sure exactly when Texas parties choose their electors). The only choice he felt was left to him was to resign.

Online RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2016, 08:36:10 am »
I think there's only two or three states that punish faithless votes with a null vote, the rest usually just go with fines, but ultimately don't change the vote after its been cast.

While this has yet to sway a Presidential election, there is historical precedent for entire states turning against their assigned vote; Virginia did so in 1836 (I believe) against their pledged party's VP candidate.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:38:35 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2016, 04:42:48 pm »
In other news this stuff is deliciously amazing

https://trumpgrets.tumblr.com/

You reap what you sow.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2016, 02:52:42 pm »
Today I learned Trump won a Razzie... for playing himself.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2016, 01:50:49 am »
http://qz.com/852180/trump-and-china-donald-trump-calls-taiwans-president-a-massive-diplomatic-reversal-that-will-enrage-china/?utm_source=qzfb

"Oops."

TL;DR Ever since Nixon no one in USA has been allowed to act as if Taiwan exists because China says so and US relations with China have been deemed more important than the independence of one random nation. Trump instead called the Taiwanese pro-independence president to congratulate her (and possibly to promote his businesses in Taiwan) thus ruining decades of diplomatic work with between two world powers.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2016, 02:24:12 am »
How strange. For all my loathing for him, I must say I admire the sheer gall of that move.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2016, 02:29:49 am »
How strange. For all my loathing for him, I must say I admire the sheer gall of that move.

I think it had nothing to do with gall and everything to do with stupidity, like when he also recently called Pakistanis "tremendous" in a phone conversation with the President of Pakistan. This, of course, prompted a reply from India, which is probably a rather more important ally than Pakistan.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2016, 02:31:06 am »
I highly doubt he did it out of gall. More likely he did it out of a combination of stupidity, greed, ignorance and a lack of caring. Until it is proven otherwise, I will continue to say that Trump neither knows nor cares about how to do the job of the President.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2016, 03:04:44 am »
Trumps business wants to build a new resort in Taiwan. Totally unrelated I'm sure!