Author Topic: 2nd US circuit court declares DOMA unconstitutional  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Bender_Rodríguez

• Bishop
2nd US circuit court declares DOMA unconstitutional
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/doma-defense-of-marriage-act_n_1980197.html

Well there's one more hurdle out of the way.  Maybe I will be able to see my gay friends get married in my lifetime after all.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Re: 2nd US circuit court declares DOMA unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:14:39 pm »
Faith in humanity restored, or the courts in this case.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:34:18 pm »
One more hurdle to go.

Ironbite-and involves a Supreme Court.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:15:19 pm »
One more hurdle to go.

Which is what worries me. And that's assuming the USSC takes the case.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:07 pm »
One more hurdle to go.

Which is what worries me. And that's assuming the USSC takes the case.

I think they will, and I can see Roberts and Kennedy siding with the liberal wing. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:14 pm »
And that's assuming the USSC takes the case.

I think they will,

I agree. This is a major issue in the US and there is a lot of dispute in the courts. I think the Court will take it, just to resolve everything.

and I can see Roberts and Kennedy siding with the liberal wing.

Kennedy I agree with. Why do you think Roberts will? (Not saying you are wrong, just wondering.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:11:16 pm »
Kennedy I agree with. Why do you think Roberts will? (Not saying you are wrong, just wondering.)

I think as conservative as Roberts is he understands and worries about how the court will be perceived in the future.  I also think he is smart enough to understand that the recognition of same sex marriage is inevitable and will not want his court to be seen as a road block that was passed at some point.

That does not mean I think Roberts will vote strike down DOMA in a way that makes gay marriage legal everywhere.  I would think he will strike down the law in a way that simply forces the federal government to accept the states definition of marriage.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:31:23 pm »

That does not mean I think Roberts will vote strike down DOMA in a way that makes gay marriage legal everywhere.  I would think he will strike down the law in a way that simply forces the federal government to accept the states definition of marriage.
Punt it like he did ACA? That's...probable.

The trick will be getting other states to recognize the marriages. That's what I would like to see the mechanics of.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:33:03 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:36:38 pm »
Seeing as wishing harm on another human being is against my morality and nature, let me just say that I hope Scalia... retires... before this gets to SCOTUS.

EDIT:  500th Post!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:12:10 pm by Veras »
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."