Author Topic: Marvel Comics: Thor is now a woman  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Marvel Comics: Thor is now a woman
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:13:35 pm »
http://time.com/2987551/thor-marvel-woman/

"If we can accept Thor as a frog and a horse-faced alien, we should be able to accept a woman"

Marvel announced on The View Tuesday morning that a woman will take up Thor’s mantle–err, hammer. Fans were shocked to find out that for the foreseeable future, the long, blonde locks waving under Thor’s Norse helmet in the comic books will belong to a lady.

The announcement comes during a groundswell of support for female superheroes. Wonder Woman will get her long-awaited big screen debut (albeit in a Batman-Superman movie), the Power Puff Girls are returning to TV and a new line of female super hero action figures is set to hit shelves this holiday season. Fangirls, it turns out, are the great untapped resource of the comic book world, and they want to see more characters that look like them: 47% of comic fans are female, and women made up 62% of the Facebook fans of female comic characters (including Black Widow, Elektra and She-Hulk), according to Comics Beat.
Bold move from Marvel.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Marvel Comics: Thor is now a woman
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:23:26 pm »
Sooooo anyone remember that Black Widow wielded Mjolnir?

'Cause it seems like Marvel doesn't.

Still an interesting and bold move on their part, but they're talking like this is the first time a woman has wielded it, and so are the fans.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »
That was in another universe so it doesn't count.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:51:16 pm »
Had a friend freak out and call it a publicity stunt. Sure. Except he then turned around and claimed the DC never makes these kinds of publicity stunts (while praising the New 52 and ignoring Superman quitting his job, Superman renouncing his (non-existent) American citizenship, the brief Wonder Woman reboot less than a year before the New 52, Batman's "death," Knightfall, the Death of Superman and others that I'm probably forgetting).
Who needs a signature?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 03:51:16 am »
Sooooo anyone remember that Black Widow wielded Mjolnir?

'Cause it seems like Marvel doesn't.

Still an interesting and bold move on their part, but they're talking like this is the first time a woman has wielded it, and so are the fans.

There was also that What If? with Rogue permanently absorbing Thor.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:35 am »
There was also the time that Deadpool had the Mjolnir.

Although that turned out to be just another trick by Loki (who claims to be Deadpool's father. Wether this is true or not is unclear as it might have been retconned away or it might have been Loki just messing with Deadpool's head. As if it needs to be any more messed than it already is.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 04:15:49 am »
We need a universe where everyone is Thor.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 07:33:55 am »
Couldn't the Hulk use Mjolnir?  Not because the hammer thought him a worthy wielder, but simply because he was that god damned strong?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 08:01:53 am »
Couldn't the Hulk use Mjolnir?  Not because the hammer thought him a worthy wielder, but simply because he was that god damned strong?
I'm not familiar with the comics at all, but in Avengers it pins him to the floor of the helicarrier.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 09:04:30 am »
I'm not familiar with the comics at all, but in Avengers it pins him to the floor of the helicarrier.
The "weight" of Mjolnir is magical (or technomancy or whatever they have in the movie version) so that those who are "unworthy" cannot lift it. I think Hulk and his gamma-ray/mutant powers are not magical so they he can't use Mjolnir. Loki as well got trapped on the floor underneath the Mjolnir at some point I think. The hammer didn't crush him with the weight but he was unable to move it or slip away from underneath since the magic did not let him move the hammer.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:42 pm »
The "weight" of Mjolnir is magical (or technomancy or whatever they have in the movie version) so that those who are "unworthy" cannot lift it. I think Hulk and his gamma-ray/mutant powers are not magical so they he can't use Mjolnir. Loki as well got trapped on the floor underneath the Mjolnir at some point I think. The hammer didn't crush him with the weight but he was unable to move it or slip away from underneath since the magic did not let him move the hammer.
I remember seeing something about how when Mjolnir was forged in the heart of a star it became a fixed quantum point, and only certain people have the correct quantum resonance to shift the universe around it. Which doesn't explain why it's affected by gravity, but it's interesting.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 10:20:13 pm »
I remember seeing something about how when Mjolnir was forged in the heart of a star it became a fixed quantum point, and only certain people have the correct quantum resonance to shift the universe around it. Which doesn't explain why it's affected by gravity, but it's interesting.

Perhaps gravity has the correct quantum resonance.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 10:27:29 pm »

Perhaps gravity has the correct quantum resonance.
Would this mean Graviton could wield it?
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
Well if Jubilee can be a vampire, Thor can be a woman.

Now, bring back Nomad, GDI. We need a Man Without a Country right about now.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 10:48:40 pm »

Fan Theory to explain why Mjolnir doesn't break the hook in Jane's apartment when Thor puts it on there like a good house guest.

Ironbite-only constant with Mjolnir is only those worthy can actually wield it and Mjolnir gets to decide that.