Author Topic: Colloidal silver  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Colloidal silver
« on: June 28, 2013, 04:39:52 am »
How the heck is this still popular?

I mean I've heard about it now and then and EVERY FRIGGING time the story includes someone's skin turning blue/grey after using colloidal silver. I swear that this is just as stupid as the AIDS deniers stuff. People are getting sick and dying but people still use the dang stuff and counter every fact and claim against it with conspiracies and excuses.

Don't they know other users who have gotten sick? You'd think that they'd notice if all of their friends start cosplaying Smurfs...

Anyway I got another reminder about this after a mainpage post about it. Against my better wisdom I went to check the source and it just kept getting worse:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5242084/fpart/all/vc/1

Some people are repeatedly trying to explain to the original poster how stupid his idea is. And the fact that his test is so poorly planned that despite the mushrooms dying there is no way to "prove" what did it (probably the silver though, as he would have known even before the experiment had he read anything about it.)

I also found some Finnish sites, mostly shops that sell natural remedies and alternative medicine supplies, are selling colloidal silver. And now I have a headache. I didn't know how popular and far spread this thing was. And I'd have thought that there are some regulations or laws against the baseless claims the sellers of this stuff make. "Oh, sure Argyria is real but it only happens if you are doing it wrong." And all that junk about how "electrically charged silver molecules" are somehow safer and better and do not cause argyria...

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Arctic Knight

• Neonate
Re: Colloidal silver
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:44:24 am »
My cousin is convinced that wearing magnets makes her healthier while my sister-in-law wears a copper bracelet because the copper keeps his body "in balance."    The only positive their ideas have over the colloidal silver is they aren't ingesting their magnets or copper (at least they aren't yet).
Congress is currently locked in a three-way tie for America's least trusted branch of government.

wrightway

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:52:58 am »
Actually, magnet therapy is showing some success in treating people with bipolar and severe depression.

As for the other, oy vey. Some people will drink anything.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »
Actually, magnet therapy is showing some success in treating people with bipolar and severe depression.
Transmagnetic cranial stimulation shows some success (but is still in early stages of research and the results are not completely conclusive).
 Magnet therapy, i.e. wearing small permanent magnets on your body, is a completely different thing and has no actual effect.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »
I've seen dog collars that include magnets for magnet therapy.

I wish I was joking.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline zupper

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:20:46 pm »
I've seen dog collars that include magnets for magnet therapy.

I wish I was joking.

My favourite was the anti-tick magnet thing you're supposed to give your dog. The marketing material is the usual mumbo jumbo about quantums and magnets. It's actually just a magnet strip(like in a credit card) that says "DOG TICK" in binary

As for drinking collodial silver, eh, I guess most people who are into it have never seen one of their friends turn blue so they can all brush it to "not doing it properly."

Does anyone rub lead to their skin to make it shimmer?

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:58 pm »
About 6 months ago my psychiatrist has advised me on taking "liquid silver" for my acne.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 09:37:46 pm »
About 6 months ago my psychiatrist has advised me on taking "liquid silver" for my acne.

How? Why? It doesn't take a PhD to know and someone with a PhD should know better.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 04:27:12 am »

I hope you found a new shrink ASAP, sounds like a crank, and what was he doing giving advice about acne in the first place?
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:55:53 am »
Rad, if you can, try AcuTane.  That shit worked WONDERS for me.  I was acne-free (or effectively) inside of six months.  You have to get blood draws every month because it can do bad things to your liver, but it's a small price to pay, I think.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 06:57:19 am »
The body can benefit from silver.  Flamazine is a very effective burn ointment, and I wouldn't doubt that some amount of it can help with certain health problems, but I'll be the last to stand up for colloidal silver being in any way necessary.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:51:54 am »
Eating silver...plebs.  Everyone knows the real class is in eating platinum.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 07:53:20 pm »
My cousin is convinced that wearing magnets makes her healthier while my sister-in-law wears a copper bracelet because the copper keeps his body "in balance."    The only positive their ideas have over the colloidal silver is they aren't ingesting their magnets or copper (at least they aren't yet).

Reminds me of a former friend's mother. She was a nutty fundie, but she also got into pseudoscience and alternative medicine. She claimed that you should only walk on Earth surfaces like grass, dirt, and sand and never wear shoes to try and maintain your connection to Earth's magnetosphere. She gave her kids magnet-filled foam pillows, which are decidedly lethal when used in pillow fights, and always had a mysterious "herbal tea" that she kept on a magnet in the fridge that she drank regularly (and always seemed high as balls after drinking it).
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:32 pm »

Reminds me of a former friend's mother. She was a nutty fundie, but she also got into pseudoscience and alternative medicine. She claimed that you should only walk on Earth surfaces like grass, dirt, and sand and never wear shoes to try and maintain your connection to Earth's magnetosphere.

I realise I shouldn't be looking for sense in pseudoscientific woo, but why grass of all things? I'm not even sure what a "connection to the magnetosphere" is supposed to be, but I'd guess you'd be better off with a ferromagnetic material like iron or nickel.
Σא

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »

Reminds me of a former friend's mother. She was a nutty fundie, but she also got into pseudoscience and alternative medicine. She claimed that you should only walk on Earth surfaces like grass, dirt, and sand and never wear shoes to try and maintain your connection to Earth's magnetosphere.

I realise I shouldn't be looking for sense in pseudoscientific woo, but why grass of all things? I'm not even sure what a "connection to the magnetosphere" is supposed to be, but I'd guess you'd be better off with a ferromagnetic material like iron or nickel.

Exactly, you shouldn't be looking for sense. The idea is that man-made materials (even ones as benign as asphalt, to say nothing of interior floors), which includes shoes, blocks your connection to Earth's magnetosphere and causes illness. So you should go barefoot and only walk on natural ground.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.