Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2070742 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #5565 on: October 02, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »
Cannabis is less harmful than substances like alcohol, sure, but that doesn't make it "harmless".

I mean, let's not kid ourselves here.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5566 on: October 02, 2013, 08:00:15 pm »
Breathing in smoke in general isn't the best thing you could be doing to your lungs.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #5567 on: October 02, 2013, 08:06:29 pm »
Plus it smells like cat piss.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5568 on: October 02, 2013, 08:16:20 pm »
Plus it smells like cat piss.

Depends on the variety and quality, actually.  Some smell rather sweet, while the "good shit," according to my dad, smells somewhat like a skunk.  Hence the term "skunky weed."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5569 on: October 02, 2013, 10:10:07 pm »
The people who use the 'cannabis is harmless' argument during a legalize cannabis debate are usually the ones you can't take seriously.

It is not a harmless substance. No matter how much you wish it to be so. Just admit you want to get high without legal ramifications and move on. A lot more people will take you more seriously.

While I do not believe in the outright banning of pot, I do believe in keeping it controlled much like pain medication is. If people are going to smoke pot, they might as well be safe about it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5570 on: October 02, 2013, 11:12:34 pm »
While it's not harmless, weed generally isn't all that dangerous in the short term (with the odd exception, usually related to psychological issues; interactions with other medications might also be a concern, but I'm not familiar enough with the research to be certain about that). It's the potential long-term effects of frequent use that people tend forget when considering health risks. Granted, with all of the propaganda surrounding the drug it's difficult to separate fact from scare tactics, but when you get down to it, if you're smoking a psychoactive substance (even a relatively mild one, compared with harder drugs) multiple times a day, there are bound to be negative consequences.

Long story short, practice moderation and you'll probably be okay.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5571 on: October 03, 2013, 12:53:34 am »
While I do not believe in the outright banning of pot, I do believe in keeping it controlled much like pain medication is. If people are going to smoke pot, they might as well be safe about it.

So what about alcohol? Will that remain the same, or will it be controlled like painkillers now?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5572 on: October 03, 2013, 01:04:31 am »

Even were I to accept the argument that any drug should be restricted for recreational use, the big difference is that you can overdose on opioids. I have yet to see a case of someone dying from too much marijuana use. Yes, the smoke could possibly cause problems in the long term, but I don't see the DEA going around banning cigarettes or incense. People are allowed to make personal choices about those things.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5573 on: October 03, 2013, 02:54:30 am »
I have yet to see a case of someone dying from too much marijuana use.

Not only have you yet to see it, but neither has anybody else. You would need to smoke 20,000 to 40,000 joints simultaneously in order to actually overdose on THC.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5574 on: October 03, 2013, 10:10:35 am »
I tend to view marijuana and alcohol as fairly equivalent. Both can cause harm if not used in moderation, and both alter your state of mind. Though marijuana is probably safer, honestly, since you can't OD on it.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5575 on: October 03, 2013, 10:45:22 am »
EARLIER THIS EVENING:

My wife tells me that the beds will be delivered in 10 minutes... The two beds that we bought from IKEA yesterday (One king sized bed for me and Anna and another smaller bed for our youngest daughter) and which I assumed would be delivered on next monday. Therefore I assumed I can check if friends can help during the weekend and arrange for help to carry and assemble the two new beds as well as a trailer for taking the old bed to the dump.

Instead I got a 10 minute warning and started calling through my list of friends to see if anyone would be able to help us. This was quite urgent since the beds were supposed to be merely dumped on the street and we couldn't leave them there for the night...

Luckily the crew helped carry the stuff inside so it wasn't a disaster but it did give me a scare. Particularly since Anna knew that the beds were coming today but didn't think to give me a warning...

Oh, I did manage to get one of my friends here in time as well and with two engineers assembling a new bed for our baby girl was pretty easy.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5576 on: October 03, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »
I tend to view marijuana and alcohol as fairly equivalent. Both can cause harm if not used in moderation, and both alter your state of mind. Though marijuana is probably safer, honestly, since you can't OD on it.

I need to find some actual, good, unbiased studies on the effects of marijuana on different people compared to alcohol. We all know how different people respond differently when drunk (some get emotional and sad, some get angry, some get happy, some get loud and obnoxious, etc.); I'd like to see just how varied high behavior is.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5577 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:20 pm »
When I tried it, I got pretty giddy, but then after the high, I became depressed.  Pot's not something that's helpful to me in the long run.  Of course, everyone's mileage may vary.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5578 on: October 03, 2013, 01:43:25 pm »
I've never tried it. Then again, I don't drink or smoke either.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5579 on: October 03, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »
When I'm high, my internal filter that says "you shouldn't say that" or "you should phrase that differently" goes out to lunch. I also get somewhat clumsy. When I come down I usually want to fall asleep and get cranky if I can't.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!