Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2074232 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #6000 on: November 12, 2013, 10:01:15 pm »
Also, you usually can't even tell the different between 720p and 1080p during gameplay. Hell, my missing HDMI cables means that I'm playing all of my games on a flatscreen in 480p and it looks normal.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6001 on: November 12, 2013, 10:49:15 pm »
Why can't my bathwater stay warm for more than five minutes? I just want to take a bath, not adjust the water temperature every 10 seconds.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #6002 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09:26 pm »
^Sounds like you and I went to the same college.  The University of Taught My Damn Self.  I have several doctorates from there.

Know what would be handy? If testing high enough in certain categories meant you could get credit for it and skip ahead. Like, you test so high in Subject A that you can skip all of freshman and half of sophomore-level Subject, you'd be able to just jump into the one you still need. Obviously if you want a degree or certificate you'd have to take some actual classes (because that's how universities work, and some stuff you can't do without that kind of training) but I wonder how many people could get through college with less debt if this was allowed?

Some Ivy League universities are already making some free online classes- the way I see it a dedicated person mastering some subject on their own, getting credit for them, and paying for as-needed classes could get their diploma at far less cost.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6003 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:15 pm »
I understand that certain shows might not be someone's cup of tea.  But to constantly say that a show is shit because you don't like it just....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!

Ironbite-especially when it's a Whedon show and you know how slow a burn it'll be.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6004 on: November 12, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »
Why can't my bathwater stay warm for more than five minutes? I just want to take a bath, not adjust the water temperature every 10 seconds.

I don't have a bath, but my shower has a similar problem: when we got the new water heater in, it became horribly sensitive AND gained brand new temperatures. The original maximum temperature is now about 1/4 of a turn, which lead to a few nasty surprises in our household when we instinctively turned it all the way to the left and ended up with this happening when we stepped in:

Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6005 on: November 12, 2013, 11:33:44 pm »
I understand that certain shows might not be someone's cup of tea.  But to constantly say that a show is shit because you don't like it just....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!

Ironbite-especially when it's a Whedon show and you know how slow a burn it'll be.

You talking about S.H.I.E.L.D?  I like some of Whedon's stuff, some I don't.  Mostly to do with the genres.  I'm not interested in space westerns or super hero stuff.  If anyone else likes them, or everything that Joss does, then more power to them.

In quick retrospect, I guess the fact that I do like some Whedon is pretty obvious.  So I guess I could have gone without saying anything.  Oh well.  Now I've probably said more than I ever would have no matter what the situation, but that's okay because I love to read myself type.  Do you like kitties? I like kitties.  I think kitties are wonderful. 

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6006 on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:07 pm »

Damn you, thermodynamics!
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6007 on: November 13, 2013, 12:06:54 am »
My boyfriend wants me to stop assuming people are easily manipulated morons.

Yeah because the bogans around us are such a great example of intelligence.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6008 on: November 13, 2013, 06:17:15 am »
I'm sick.

My throat hurts and my voice is gone which makes it pretty hard to work as a telemarketer. And I JUST got this job so I really didn't want to take sickdays but trying to talk would just make things worse.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #6009 on: November 13, 2013, 06:39:14 am »
Lies, Lies, Lies on the web.  >:(

This image:

links to something totally unrelated at: http://www.iwillteachyou.net/lp/
BS BS BS BS ARRRRGH
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:41:26 am by Hoplite »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6010 on: November 13, 2013, 08:42:30 am »
What is with Netflix randomly censoring profanity in some episodes of shows, while leaving it intact in other episodes of the same series?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6011 on: November 13, 2013, 10:36:59 am »

You talking about S.H.I.E.L.D?  I like some of Whedon's stuff, some I don't.  Mostly to do with the genres.  I'm not interested in space westerns or super hero stuff.  If anyone else likes them, or everything that Joss does, then more power to them.

Yes Shield.  This dude fancies himself some sort of arty film critic when in reality he's acting like anyone who likes this show is mentally deficient at best and a complete slobbering republican tea partier at worst.  It doesn't help that the dude somehow knows a big wig in Hollywood, Greg "I can't finish a fucking story in one season without setting up 10 seasons worth of shows" Wiseman and thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything in the business.

Ironbite-some days I want to fly up to where he lives and punch him in the mouth.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6012 on: November 13, 2013, 11:27:51 am »
What is with Netflix randomly censoring profanity in some episodes of shows, while leaving it intact in other episodes of the same series?

Netflix does not have an in-house corporate policy to censor anything they stream. They do have to comply with localized ISP regs, though, as a content provider. I would guess the inconsistency you have observed could be that streaming files for episodes are being pulled from separate subsets (censored and uncensored) either by accident or in a simple mix up of some kind. As it happens, I've never personally seen any episode of any TV series censored as to language while using Netflix, but no doubt that is just happenstance.

Since I'm in the US, I'd like to see if I get the same weirdness you are witnessing or not. What shows and episodes did you notice this in? Also, would another Canadian forumite with Netflix who is in a different Province check these shows/episodes as well?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6013 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42:57 am »
I'm so tired of hearing about Rob Ford.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #6014 on: November 14, 2013, 10:47:19 am »
I'm so tired of hearing about Rob Ford.
This. So much this. Gods, why won't he just go away?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!