Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2074389 times)

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #6060 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:29 am »
It's ant season where I live, which means the whole back yard is a bloody minefield of the little buggers.

At...at least it ain't spider season. Finding spiders the SIZE OF MY HEAD on my pillow makes for fun times.

The size of your head!

I'm so glad I don't get spiders that big.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6061 on: November 18, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »
> Girl puts up picture of herself shooting a SIG-Sauer at a gun range.
> Guy asks what gun it is. She didn't reply and the post is about a week old, so I answer for her.
> She tells me that I'm wrong.
> I explain why it's not a Beretta and the exact reasons why SIG-Sauer P220s look very different from Beretta 92s.
> Get blocked.

Okay, bitch. It's a Beretta.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Indikins

• Pope
« Reply #6062 on: November 18, 2013, 10:07:33 pm »
Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask you Ozzies:  Do you all still have a bad fire ant problem down there, or are you beating them back somehow?  If you are, please tell us your secret.  Every year when it gets warm it seems more and more mounds pop up around my house, and while I dust the mounds, the neighbors never seem to give a shit, and their ants eventually expand their territories to here and here we go all over again.

Now I know why their scientific name contains the word "Invictus".  Unconquered indeed...

Pouring boiling water into their nests is supposedly an effective countermeasure, and fuel vapour is almost instantly lethal. Also, baiting food with a type of contraceptives sterilises the queen. Though I have no idea where you'd get The Pill for fire ants.

I actually hadn't heard of a fire ant problem until now; I was six at the time. Apparently our government immediately set up a Fire Ant Control Centre and pretty much just genocided at least 99% of them within a few years. A rare moment of governmental competence.

It's ant season where I live, which means the whole back yard is a bloody minefield of the little buggers.

At...at least it ain't spider season. Finding spiders the SIZE OF MY HEAD on my pillow makes for fun times.

The size of your head!

I'm so glad I don't get spiders that big.

Until I moved into town, I used to sleep with bug spray on my nightstand and the Encyclopedia Brittanica beside my pillow.
I once had a nightmare about chickens pecking me to death on my driveway. I told my sister to save herself.

This is the #1 nightmare.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6063 on: November 18, 2013, 10:10:15 pm »
I'll never forget when my brother found a full-grown mama wolf spider on his pillow one night.  Waking up to a very loud "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" from the next room over makes for fun times.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6064 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:39 am »
Was it one of those that carries her eggs in a big webbing ball behind her?  Or was it the same kind, but later that actually has her baby spiderlings in a ball on her back?

EDIT:  I must confess I always thought both were kind of cute.  Scorpions carrying their young-uns too.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6065 on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:18 am »
I have the intro song from Pretty Little Liars stuck in my head :\
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6066 on: November 19, 2013, 01:39:38 am »
Put a locket in your pocket, takin this one to the grave <3
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6067 on: November 19, 2013, 01:48:05 am »
Put a locket in your pocket, takin this one to the grave <3

'cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Deimos, lemme tell you a secret.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6068 on: November 19, 2013, 09:17:31 am »
Was it one of those that carries her eggs in a big webbing ball behind her?  Or was it the same kind, but later that actually has her baby spiderlings in a ball on her back?

EDIT:  I must confess I always thought both were kind of cute.  Scorpions carrying their young-uns too.

I believe he said that she had some babies on her back.  Being the stand-up guy he is, he just scooped em all up and took em outside.  Odd, but I feel worse about killing a spider the bigger it gets; like I'm killing a small, eight-legged puppy.  Then again, I only do it when they get far, FAR too close and I have a sneaking suspicion that they're venomous.  Specially if they look to be black widows or brown recluses.  The former could be lethal, and one of the latter left a golf ball-sized hole in my dad's arm...I'm none too fond of necrotoxins.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6069 on: November 19, 2013, 10:42:44 am »
The worst part about our local spiders is that the Brown Recluse looks very similar at a glance to the common Giant House Spider, especially if you haven't got your contacts in yet. As much as people complain about not leaving the latter alive to clean up pests, it really is safer to just kill any brown-looking spiders in Florida before they get you.

Also, I love how inadvertently racist that sounds.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6070 on: November 19, 2013, 12:11:36 pm »
The worst part about our local spiders is that the Brown Recluse looks very similar at a glance to the common Giant House Spider, especially if you haven't got your contacts in yet. As much as people complain about not leaving the latter alive to clean up pests, it really is safer to just kill any brown-looking spiders in Florida before they get you.

Also, I love how inadvertently racist that sounds.

Stand your ground!
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6071 on: November 19, 2013, 01:06:42 pm »
Windows, stop trying to make Windows 8.1 happen, I am not interested.

Adobe Flash Player, stop trying to make McAfee happen, I am EXTREMELY not interested.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6072 on: November 19, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
Windows, stop trying to make Windows 8.1 happen, I am not interested.

Adobe Flash Player, stop trying to make McAfee happen, I am EXTREMELY not interested.

Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6073 on: November 19, 2013, 01:27:09 pm »
You're being predictable, Ironchew.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6074 on: November 19, 2013, 03:12:54 pm »
Well, it may be different for me since I spent most of my life teaching myself about all sorts of animals, but to me, the House Spider and the Recluse look nothing alike.  Besides, the recluse gets its name from being kind of hard to find.  Widow spiders are sort of to themselves too, but sometimes you can find them out in places where you think, "What the hell do you think you're doing there?"   They're not too aggressive unless they're directly assaulted or if they've got eggs to protect.  They also are pretty noticeable thanks to their jet black (or dark brown) coloring with a bright red hourglass (or roundish spot, if it's an Ozzie Redback). 
Though I can really understand being leery about both Recluses and Widows if you're the least bit unsure about what could be what, because their bites can indeed be nasty.

The only reason I'm so blaze' about it is because I've studied stuff like this for so long. (Pretty much from when I was old enough to read to now.)

A good spider to have around is the Cellar Spider.  They're brown, but they're shaped nothing like a Recluse as their bodies are too small and their legs are too spindly (Something interesting to note is they showed one on TV going up against a very large venomous predatory spider and it looked like the Cellar Spider didn't have a chance... It won.  Hands...er.. legs down.  That was something to see.)

Oh and as far as worrying only about the venomous spiders... All spiders have venom.  Just some spider venom is stronger than others.   Just like I tell kids that all snakes can bite, but only a comparative few can kill you.  The non-venomous bites don't exactly tickle though... especially if they're a larger snake or have sharp fish-eating teeth like bloody Water Snakes... man, they can be ornery...

Yeah... I've gone into professorial mode...