Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2071479 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10065 on: June 19, 2016, 02:56:42 pm »
You're actually wrong about that last one.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #10066 on: June 19, 2016, 02:59:04 pm »
...North Carolina doesn't exist?

But seriously though, yeah, that last one might've been unreasonable.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #10067 on: June 19, 2016, 05:30:04 pm »
My sympathies, man.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10068 on: June 19, 2016, 05:51:25 pm »
...North Carolina doesn't exist?

Indeed it does not. North Carolina was originally a fabrication made by South Carolinians (called, at the time, just Carolinians) in the early 1990s, intended to be a more liberal version of the extremely conservative state, so that the name of Carolina didn't look quite so bad. Safe to say, it failed when they lost control of their fabrication.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10069 on: June 21, 2016, 03:34:17 pm »
We took a risk, my wife turned down a certain job that would have forced us to move and instead waited to see if she gets a job at the school where she was a teacher previously. She didn't.

Well, I still have a job so this isn't a total disaster but she's depressed and worried that now she won't get a teacher's job if it takes too long for her to get even a short term as a teacher.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10070 on: June 21, 2016, 06:23:59 pm »
Lizard literally no one in  the Republican party considers Ted Cruz a liberal. His own platform is that he is a 'true conservative' (read reactionary). You might be thinking of Kasich who is reactionary but considered a liberal amongst the GOP.

Other than that I'm not sure what you're talking about but having everyone dislike you sounds like a bad start to claiming to be a good person. Unless you're talking about our very own alt right walking moderation fallacy.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10071 on: June 21, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »
People who claim that wanting to do x is equivalent to doing x, and you should be punished equally for your desires as your actions.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #10072 on: June 21, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »
Lizard literally no one in  the Republican party considers Ted Cruz a liberal. His own platform is that he is a 'true conservative' (read reactionary). You might be thinking of Kasich who is reactionary but considered a liberal amongst the GOP.

Other than that I'm not sure what you're talking about but having everyone dislike you sounds like a bad start to claiming to be a good person. Unless you're talking about our very own alt right walking moderation fallacy.

One who refuses to defend his own points, no less.  Sometimes, I wonder if Hof's serious, or just taking the piss.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #10073 on: June 21, 2016, 07:08:42 pm »
Apathy sounds like a weird fetish alright.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #10074 on: June 21, 2016, 07:10:06 pm »
"I'm turned on and I couldn't care less about it."

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10075 on: June 21, 2016, 07:11:38 pm »
People who claim that wanting to do x is equivalent to doing x, and you should be punished equally for your desires as your actions.

Is this in reference to pedophilia or something else? Cause I've only ever heard this argument about pedophilia.

Even Then

« Reply #10076 on: June 21, 2016, 07:23:11 pm »
This reminds me of a Cracked article where someone was talking about how they have constant undesired thoughts of murder. Someone in the comments asked "then what would be the difference between this and a pedophile"? And someone else said "they're the same". I remember being annoyed by that sort of reductionist statement.

So, thing that annoys me: people thinking there's no difference between having unwanted thoughts of something and wanting to do that something.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10077 on: June 21, 2016, 07:32:37 pm »

Is this in reference to pedophilia or something else? Cause I've only ever heard this argument about pedophilia.

No, actually. About literally everything, which is why x. Super Christian guy extrapoling from that one passage about lust=adultery.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10078 on: June 21, 2016, 09:47:48 pm »
This reminds me of a Cracked article where someone was talking about how they have constant undesired thoughts of murder. Someone in the comments asked "then what would be the difference between this and a pedophile"? And someone else said "they're the same". I remember being annoyed by that sort of reductionist statement.

So, thing that annoys me: people thinking there's no difference between having unwanted thoughts of something and wanting to do that something.

Hm. A desire seems like a subset of 'unwanted thoughts'. Or at least, an unendorsed desire.

I'm not sure the distinction is very clear-cut.
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #10079 on: June 21, 2016, 09:59:44 pm »
I'm not a psych major or anything so I'm not qualified to speak with authority, but I personally make a distinction between "unwanted thoughts" and "what a person actually wants", but I'm not saying there's a specific clear-cut distinction. But I do believe that there is a distinction.

Example: I've found myself having persistents thoughts about wanting to die while I'm in bed waiting to fall asleep, but eventually I always realize that no, I don't actually want to die because despite the shitty parts, I do find fulfilment in living and being alive. But that doesn't make the thoughts stop coming at night. This is just my subjective view on it, but yeah.